Import issue

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
dazzjazz
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Import issue

Post by dazzjazz »

Hi,

I don't seem to be able to import any audio, either using the file menu or simply dragging files.
Running 8.07 on Yosemite.

What am I doing wrong? Audio file bit depth and sample rates are the same as the project.

Darren
iMac 27" 2013 24 GB RAM
OSX Catalina. Focusrite Clarett 8Pre. Heritage Audio HA73.
DP10.

Yamaha CP4. 1961 Hammond A100. Too many Leslies.
……………………
Darren Heinrich
BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano
PhD Jazz Organ Improvisation

http://www.dazzjazz.com/
Shooshie

Re: Import issue

Post by Shooshie »

Did you try restarting your computer?

Are the audio files non-interleaved SDII by any chance?
I'm not familiar with the problem, but I'm just trying to get some idea of what you're working with. We may find a solution if we know all the details.

Also, Which side of the Tracks Overview Window are you dragging to? As a test, I just tried dragging a song in mp4 format to the Tracks Overview Window from the Finder. It took it in, converted it, and all is well.

You drag to the left side of the TO window, btw, and it creates a track for it as it imports it. Or, if you have a blank audio track, you can drag it directly to the track on the right side of the window. I'll test with SDII if I can find any. I've converted most of what I've got to BWAV, so there aren't that many around that are easy to find.

So, tell us the audio format, and tell us where you're dragging from and to.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I was also going to answer as well, but really isn't enough info in the o/p question to provide any definitive help. Shooshie's response is about as far as we can go w/o more from you, o/p.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

This is an old issue if you get tracks from other sources. I get tracks from a number of studios running God knows what and often have a track or two that won't import--every once in awhile it's an entire project but that's extremely rare.

The problem is always a corrupted header. DP is really particular in this regard. I first noticed it in 4.1 but it still happens in 8.07. I use QuickTime 7.6.6 but iTunes will work as will Toast 12 and many other apps.

If a .wav, convert (export as) it to .aiff or vice versa. It works with SD files, too. This writes a new header but the raw audio stays intact. You can convert it back if you want. The converted file will now drop into DP as expected.

DP has been able to mix file types and even resolution since 5.12 IIRC. Before that, everything had to be the same. QuickTime Pro has been my friend since those days because it is so easy to use on a per file basis. As I mentioned, iTunes will do it but each file type requires setup. QT is so easy to use that I am unlikely to ever look at Toast for this.

If QT 7.6.6 is not in your Utilities Folder, it's a free download from Apple Support. It doesn't work from the Applications Folder after Leopard. QT 7.7 was OS 10.5 only.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

mikehalloran wrote:If QT 7.6.6 is not in your Utilities Folder, it's a free download from Apple Support. It doesn't work from the Applications Folder after Leopard. QT 7.7 was OS 10.5 only.
Ditto. I use QT 7.6.6 for many things, including converting old movies that won't play in QT 10.4, or whatever version we're using now. How bizarre is that? Many old movies won't even open or be recognized in the current QT, but you can still open and convert them in the old QT. Anyway, if the problem turns out to be file related, QT 7.6.6 should help.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|