Reclaim Hard Drive Space after Install

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Aaron Guidry
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Reclaim Hard Drive Space after Install

Post by Aaron Guidry »

Hello,

I've been troubleshooting a problem all day which consisted of me re-installing DP8.06 and DP8.07 many, many times. Each time after installation, I noticed my hard drive disk space decreased; but, I can't find on my hard drive where all these extra installations are being stored so that I can delete them to reclaim disk space. Anyone have a road map on where to find them?
DP 11, Mac Studio M2 Ultra, 128GB Memory, Sonoma 14.3.1
stubbsonic

Re: Reclaim Hard Drive Space after Install

Post by stubbsonic »

That's weird because you would think running the installer over itself would just either replace the files, or leave them.

I just happen to be at the end of a total overhaul/re-installation where I have a system without DP 8.07. So I could see relative sizes of folders before and after I run the installer.

I'll take note of the Library/Application Support, and ~/Library/, the Applications folder, and the total sizes prior to and after the installation. And maybe there I can see where things are put.

It is weird that each subsequent install is adding more to your list. I assume you are emptying trash each time? Hmmm. What else?

If you are re-installing these "many, many times" is it possible you are having problems with your system that might be drive related?
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Aaron Guidry

Post by Aaron Guidry »

Yeah, I'm not sure either!

Trash is emptied.

I've been troubleshooting some upgrade crash-on-load issues, so I was running installers a lot...DP, Audio, MachFive...all of which seem to take up space each time they are run, rather than replace what was already there.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

DP’s installer says 1.76 GB total install size.

The DP application itself is 292.4 MB

Total changes to Root Library: 1.46 GB

which is broken down to:

Library/Application Support/MOTU is 990.1 MB
Library/Audio/Plug-ins/MAS is 446.1 MB
there are a few other MOTU things in that audio folder
that amount to about 10 MB.

It's pretty close to adding up, but I'm not sure what I'm missing.

Hope this helps.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Aaron Guidry

Post by Aaron Guidry »

Your numbers are close to mine.

But, I started at 76GB of space remaining yesterday, and now I'm down to 71GB. Somewhere, something is being stashed away little by little every time an install takes place; I'm just not sure what it is or where to look for it!