MIDI Piano recording double of every message...?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MIDI Piano recording double of every message...?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I've seen this from time to time and is was NOT the result of a MIDI loop. I have no idea why it happened, but it is not uncommon in DP. I don't check every project, but sometimes I'll delete a note only to discover there's another behind it. Odd.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Dwetmaster wrote:
Shooshie wrote:...If you find it, I'd appreciate knowing about where to look for it, as I'm sure my eyes are just jumping over it for some reason. I KNOW it used to be there. But I went through every menu a few times and just didn't see it. Maybe I should have looked it up in the manual.

Shoosh
Region/Apply MIDI Plugin/Remove Duplicates

Thanks. Mental block, I guess. Even after you told me that, it took me probably 5 times up and down the menu to find it again.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I've seen this from time to time and is was NOT the result of a MIDI loop. I have no idea why it happened, but it is not uncommon in DP. I don't check every project, but sometimes I'll delete a note only to discover there's another behind it. Odd.
It used to happen to me a lot more often. In fact, I can't remember the last time it happened, it was so far back, but it was probably in the days of DP4, 4.5 and DP5. But it was always a mystery as to how they got there.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I've seen it once in DP8. Rather strange and MIDI loops are not the cause. Otherwise well performing projects will have double notes. My best guess is user error. Perhaps at some point I hit cmd-a and then cmd-v and that could do it. And then there's this...

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

I find this very helpful for troubleshooting MIDI:
http://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
wonder

Post by wonder »

The sessions are moving so fast and with him not being a consummate studio guy, he keeps switching his keyboard patches to find what he wants to hear in his cans for each song. Some of his patches are layered (piano/strings) so my assumption is that both of those patches are being recorded by DP. They exact duplicates so the "remove duplicates" plug has come in handy.

I've never seen this happen before and it's good to know that if I see this in the future, I know its the keyboard sending those messages and not DP duplicating them.
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
wonder

Post by wonder »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I've seen it once in DP8. Rather strange and MIDI loops are not the cause. Otherwise well performing projects will have double notes. My best guess is user error. Perhaps at some point I hit cmd-a and then cmd-v and that could do it. And then there's this...

When editing, thats what i thought happened (pasting a section over a section and thus doubling the MIDI) ... but alas, it's the MIDI piano that he's using that is sending duplicate messages.
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I was going to post to this thread, saying that this had happened to me, but so long ago that I can't remember how I fixed it. It did have something to do with the dual zones in a Yamaha keyboard.

And then, in this afternoon's session, it happened again. I'm getting two-for-one MIDI info in a piano track. The "Remove Duplicates" command is fine for fixing it, but that won't do in the long term.

Once I recall (or manage to make sense of the user's manual, which is super-ultra-hyper lame), I'll let you know how I did it. If your guy is using a Yamaha stage piano, I'm sure we're experiencing the same problem.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Okay, it's like this:

On my Yamaha CP33, there is a button labeled "Master," which, when pressed puts the keyboard into a MIDI Master state... local control off, etc.

You can edit the master mode, and save those edits in 16 slots. The Yamaha is a zoned keyboard, and the zones are still active in Master mode.

So when you're editing the Master mode, you have to make sure you've set the MIDI channel for Zone 1 to whatever channel you use, AND that you've turned Zone 2's MIDI channel "OFF." You can do this by running through the channels up to 16: the next click will say "OFF."

Once that done, save the setup and the double notes are gone. Zone 2 will not output. Keep in mind that in the default, both Zone 1 and Zone 2 have their note ranges set to cover the entire keyboard, so every note you play will send 2 events.

BTW, I tried fixing the problem with Remove Duplicates and it didn't work... I can only assume the events were different enough that DP didn't consider them duplicates. But Deflam didn't work either... I'm guessing I just never got the time range (2 ms? 10 ms?) in the right place.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]