Mac Pro sound output not changing to selected channels

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
wonder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Mac Pro sound output not changing to selected channels

Post by wonder »

I'm running Mavericks with a 2408mk3 (PCI).

I have the default audio output set to ADAT 5-6 so when any Mac OS alert sounds come up, they won't send to studio monitors nor headphone cues.

a few issues...
1. When I reboot the Mac, the default audio output will reset back to ADAT 1-2.
2. When I select ADAT 5-6 or any other output, the audio coming from Safari will still send through ADAT 1-2 even when ADAT 5-6 is selected in PCI setup. Audio from Quicktime will play through ADAT 5-6 but Safari and Mac OS alerts will output through ADAT 1-2.
3. The clock I run off of is always PCI-WORD CLOCK IN. When I restart the computer, often it will reset to PCI-INTERNAL.

Is there a way to reset the Mac Pro sound preferences?
Is there a setting in Safari to send audio through the selected OS / PCI output?
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
Shooshie

Re: Mac Pro sound output not changing to selected channels

Post by Shooshie »

I only know the audio shortcut:
1) have the audio sign show in your menubar
2) Option-Click the audio symbol in the menubar to set computer audio I/O.

Mine will use the last one set, depending on what interfaces are turned on at the moment. When my 896mk3 is turned on, that becomes my computer's audio output, because I use it to play music, TV and movie audio through my desktop speakers. When it is turned off, it switches to the Cinema Display's audio.

My alert sounds play through the computer's internal speaker so as not to blast me with either of the above systems. It's set that way in the audio preferences, and it does not change when I set the other audio. Why yours is behaving differently, I do not know.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
wonder

Post by wonder »

Right.

I have the sound icon in my menu bar.

The issue is that PCI is not outputting the Mac OS sound through the Default Output like it used to. ADAT 5-6 is selected but the sounds are coming out of ADAT 1-2.
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
wonder

Post by wonder »

I just noticed I'm on PCI AUDIO SETUP v 1.5.

Going to install 1.6 and see if that resolves issue.

:roll:
wonder

Post by wonder »

Just updated.

No change in the MAC OS system sounds output. They're still all coming out of ADAT 1-2 instead of 5-6.
wonder

Post by wonder »

I have submitted a support ticket at MOTU.

This issue is still unresolved.

No matter which ADAT channels I select in my PCI AUDIO SETUP as the Default Output, the audio will always come out of ADAT 1-2.

Anyone else have this issue?
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I'm not familiar with the 2408, but it sounds like you're making all your adjustments in PCI Setup. Have you tried the settings in Audio MIDI Setup?

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
wonder

Post by wonder »

Phil O wrote:I'm not familiar with the 2408, but it sounds like you're making all your adjustments in PCI Setup. Have you tried the settings in Audio MIDI Setup?

Phil
I forgot to add that to the thread. yes, I have.

I have tried virtually every different control setting I can think of...no dice.

When I click "CONFIGURE SPEAKERS" and then click double click on the the speaker icons to send PINK NOISE, the MacPro will send pink noise through ADAT 5-6, but still the audio feed from other apps (iTunes, QT, etc) are coming out of ADAT 1-2, which is odd to me.
wonder

Post by wonder »

I have a TECH LINK going back and forth with MOTU.

Of course when I told them in my initial query that I had already installed the latest drivers, they wanted me to install drivers again.

I did so and still having this issue ... which is sort of a pain as my routing allowed me to send OS audio when needed through different channels and now everything is coming out of ADAT 1-2.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

wonder wrote:Of course when I told them in my initial query that I had already installed the latest drivers, they wanted me to install drivers again.
Yeah, why does tech support always do that? ...as if you didn't get it right the first time. Sometimes you're deep into the troubleshooting process and you tell them everything you've tried, but they'll still start at the beginning and make you do everything again. "Is your computer plugged in?" REALLY?? :banghead: Annoys the heck out of me, and too often wastes precious time.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Phil O wrote:Yeah, why does tech support always do that?
It's sad, but they do it because it works. The most obvious solutions solve the most problems in the least time. Reinstalling drivers, or pressing cntl-alt-delete might not solve any problems for experienced users, but it solves a lot of the problems that come into a tech support line.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
wonder

Post by wonder »

Understood.

But then it begs the question of why have us list all the previous steps taken to resolve the issue.

I'm not complaining about re-doing steps ... I'll try whatever ... just want to get this resolved.

:boohoo:

This used to not be an issue. Its a new problem.

Which leads me to hope that my 2408 isn't going bonkers.

Maybe I'll try unplugging everything, repairing permissions, re-installing drivers, and then seeing what happens.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Is there a factory reset process for your 2408?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
wonder

Post by wonder »

bayswater wrote:Is there a factory reset process for your 2408?
I don't know. I'll research that.