Playback MIDI track with an effect

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
pneron
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Playback MIDI track with an effect

Post by pneron »

I have recorded a MIDI Track using MACH 5/MSI. However, I want to be able to play this track with an effect on it. I noticed the MIDI track does not have the option to route to an effect. How do I do this?
DP11, Genelec 8341, MacStudio, Quantum, 2x Faderport16.
LegacyDAW: Amiga2000 3xAD516 SunRize cards
Shooshie

Re: Playback MIDI track with an effect

Post by Shooshie »

Are you looking for a MIDI effect or an audio effect? MIDI effects are available in the Mixing Board above the MIDI track, same as audio effects. MIDI effects include things like transposition, change velocity, compress velocity, quantize, removal of duplicate events, flam removal, delay, and so forth.

If it's audio effects you're wanting, they will be applied to the audio output of MachFive. The Mixing Board has two sections: one for your mix, and the other for virtual instruments in V-Racks. If your instruments are each just another track in your mix, then they will be in the mix section. If you keep them in the V-Rack, be sure your Mixing Board preferences include showing V-Racks in the same window as your mix.

Wherever your instruments' outputs are, that will be the Mixing Board channel for the audio. The effects are located at the top of that channel. Be sure your mixing board is showing "Inserts," and click in the very top one. A large dialog window will open, and you can choose your effect there.

Pardon me for the basic instructions, but if I'm understanding you correctly you aren't sure where to find the effects. This is basic information, but if you don't know, you don't know, so there it is. Sometimes you can know everything but one little niggling piece of information that holds up the whole process until you figure it out. But if I've misunderstood your question, my apologies; just explain it to me again in more detail.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
pneron

Re: Playback MIDI track with an effect

Post by pneron »

Audio track...this was very helpful and I will review your suggestions - Thanks!
DP11, Genelec 8341, MacStudio, Quantum, 2x Faderport16.
LegacyDAW: Amiga2000 3xAD516 SunRize cards