Throwing chunks

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
emjayinla
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Throwing chunks

Post by emjayinla »

Still relatively new at DP after centuries with Logic. Let me take a sec to thank y'all for contributing to this forum and it's archive. Both have been extremely helpful in getting me over the hump. I've found most of my questions already answered somewhere in these pages.

Anyway - I have my reels set to individual chunks. I'll be working just fine in one chunk, then move on to another one. No problem, the correct chunk is displayed in the control window and the track overview. I'll go to the mixer in the consolidated (which is in v-rack view) then go back to the track overview only now it shows a different chunk. The correct chunk will still be displayed in the control window.

Sometimes the marker window will also change to the wrong chunk.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Throwing chunks

Post by Shooshie »

Too many variables for me to say exactly what's happening without having a look. Some suggestions, though: keep the V-rack in the Mixer with your project. That's a Mixing Board preference. Then you don't have to go back and forth, though you may have to scroll to it.

Are you using Consolidated Windows? If not, you should be. You can pop out the windows you don't want to be in it, but your core operations should be around the Consolidated Windows. You may want to try looking at an alternative way of working using Mission Control (part of OS X). There is a discussion on it in the Tips Sheet, page 5. There is also a movie about it, so that you can see how fast and easy it works. (I neglected to mention in the movie that you need to set the Control Panel preferences to "Float," so that it follows you from space to space.

Usually, when you see other chunks' windows mixing with the ones you're working on, it's because you're NOT using Consolidated Windows, and you haven't mastered your window management. You may want to use Window Sets to help you do that.

Finally, you may also be experiencing accidental Chunk Chaining. Look at the Chunk Chaining buttons in the Control Panel or the top of the Chunks Window, depending on whether or not you use the full screen option for DP. If you don't use full-screen, the buttons appear in the Chunks Window. Take a look in this picture and notice that the continuous-play chunk chaining button is engaged:

DP Screenshot. Click to view.

Chunk Chaining causes DP to automatically switch to the next chunk when it reaches the end of the previous chunk during playback.

One other possibility, and I'll lay odds that this could be your problem: Chunks can automatically have a key assigned to them. Press the key, and you've changed chunks. I'm betting that you have a key associated with the Mixing Board, or close to it, and when you switch back and forth to V-Racks, you hit that key, and it changes chunks. Set up your preferences so that it does not automatically assign a key to each new chunk. You can also remove or reassign each chunk's key in the Commands Window.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

The only thing similar I've come across is when changing chunks the edit windows don't go along for the ride. I have to close the exit window I was working on and open a new edit window for the new chunk. It's a PITA. Is that what you're referring to?

"Throwing" is usually relegated to soundbites unless one has been drinking in excess in which case hurling or blowing chunks would be the apropos term. Woof!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

PS - Shoosh, I'm seeing this behavior using the CW.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:PS - Shoosh, I'm seeing this behavior using the CW.
But he's saying that the Mixing Board goes to the wrong chunk. That's not a behavior associated with what you're talking about, at least not one that I've seen. I'm putting my money on the Chunk/key-command thing. It took my going through all the possibilities before I thought of that, but it seems the obvious one in retrospect.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

No, my mixing board is fine as long as the track selector is handy. Simultaneously viewing mixer channels for VIs, V-racks, instrument, master, aux, & audio tracks is becoming more the norm in my latest theater sound design project. Now if i could only remember to insert volume changes on each track...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

I've experienced this too, basically not every open window, whether in the consolidated window or not, changes to the new chunk. It's not a huge deal to me, I've just gotten used to looking at a window first to make sure it's the current sequence before attempting to edit in it and finding out it's not.
Would love to know what the behavior is, as I don't think this is a bug, but rather an organizational thing.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
MIDI Life Crisis

The biggest problem is editing something that is not in the current sequence.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
emjayinla
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by emjayinla »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the quick responses.

I'm not sure what fixed it although I'm ashamed to say, I tried restarting everything *after* I posted. I had been moving tracks around, copying chunks into other chunks, etc. so maybe something in there was the cause.

There was an errant keystroke that changed chunks as Shooshie predicted but I had already deleted it.

I am using the consolidated window. The Mission Control thing is very cool but I'm afraid my overpopulated and underdeveloped brain will fry if I attempt it now mid project.

Thanks again. I'll try to be more specific if it happens again.
MIDI Life Crisis

This is how DP works. Post a problem and it fixes itself. Just like going to the dentist. Lol
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:This is how DP works. Post a problem and it fixes itself. Just like going to the dentist. Lol
You know, there is more truth to that than I want to admit. And OS X is notoriously that way. You recall that little problem I was having in the Finder, where Yosemite was not allowing custom icons on FOLDER aliases on the desktop? Suddenly, yesterday, it started allowing me to paste custom icons on folder aliases, but only NEW aliases. And it only allowed one paste. Paste another, and I had to create a new alias. But the important thing is that I've got my aliases on the desktop again, so that I don't have to keep any files there, but can refer to folders scattered around my system via aliases, as is supposed to be the case.

This has been a huge irritant for me, and I tried every possible way to fix it after I installed Yosemite and the aliases no longer worked. I've repeatedly attacked the problem, only to retreat in defeat. What caused it to start working again? Is there a file buried somewhere deep in the OS such that I just had to wait until it was rewritten somehow? I'll probably never know the answer.

Shooshie
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Just jumping in that advanced point of discussion.

Many windows won't update properly to chunk change, in case something is selected in any previous chunk window.
My workflow includes *deselecting all* thru Cmd+d, before calling next chunk.
Last edited by daniel.sneed on Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
frankf

Throwing chunks

Post by frankf »

There's a Consolidated window preference, "Update Edit Windows to the play-enabled Chunk". Enable it and see if it helps.

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

frankf wrote:There's a Consolidated window preference, "Update Edit Windows to the play-enabled Chunk". Enable it and see if it helps.

Frank Ferrucci
By all means! Like many things in DP, it's been set that way so long that I forgot there was an actual setting for it.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

daniel.sneed wrote:Just jumping in that advanced point of discussion.

Many windows won't update properly to chunk change, in case something is selected in any previous chunk window.
My workflow includes *deselecting all* thru Cmd+d, before calling next chunk.
This seems like the logical reason for this issue. When I'm through with taxes I'll take a run through seeing how this helps. :)
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.