Sessions taking forever to open...

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
wonder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Sessions taking forever to open...

Post by wonder »

I've been having this issue where a session will open and then I'll get spinning beach ball.
Especially when I have Kontakt loaded ... but it only has 1 channel (of a piano or something smaller). The session files are relatively small (3-5 mb).

The Computer didn't use to do this.

One thing I've noticed is this ... I've recently purchased a 2012 MacPro and Carbon Copied the drive to this computers HD.
When I turn on my computer, the old computer that I used to use that's on my studios network will automatically mount on my desktop for an unknown reason. I've cleared all my recent history of APPS and Programs and documents and such but its as if there's something on that old computer that is causing it to automatically mount.

Wondering if DP is grabbing some sort of file from the old computer?

Ive looked in my System Prefs to and deleted ANY startup programs or mounting disks and that didn't help.

Anyone have this issue before? Any resolutions?
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Sessions taking forever to open...

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

My first suggestion would be reauthorize Kontakt and any other VIs and apps that startup slowly. My best guess is that it is looking for an authorization in a specific place and not finding it. It keeps looking until it does. Again, that's just my guess at this point. Obviously I'd also repair permissions, verify the disk(s) and check RAM (both health and configuration).

Do I understand you correctly that this started when you moved to the new machine? Did the machine also have the K player? Maybe an old authorization somewhere on their HD?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
wonder

Post by wonder »

I wiped the new drive, then started from scratch on this new machine.
I am remembering I didn't carbon copy clone but rather installed everything from scratch.
But for some odd reason this new machine is mounting the old HD on the desktop.

I did authorize everything in this new drive during the week it took me to get fully operational on this new computer.

It just seems like it's taking forever for DP to open. Especially sessions with kontakt.

The Mac Pro takes especially long to boot up as well. It will get to the Finder ok but then takes a while to be responsive. I think bc it's looking for whatever files on the other computer...just a guess.
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
MIDI Life Crisis

Have you tried starting holding the opt key and forcing it to go to the drive you actually want it to start up in? Also, the Startup Disk preference should be set. It's also a risky proposition to have more than one startup disk on a machine. It was never an issue until I got a MP. I'm on a 2008 3,1 and was having startup issues until I removed all but one startup disk.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
wonder

Post by wonder »

Yes. Its starting up on my correct drive.

But for some reason its mounting the other computer as a Disk on my desktop upon every startup
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I've been having this issue where a session will open and then I'll get spinning beach ball.
Especially when I have Kontakt loaded ... but it only has 1 channel (of a piano or something smaller). The session files are relatively small (3-5 mb).

The Computer didn't use to do this.
I've seen some of that, too. Also, long [loooooonnnggggg] delays when hitting start or stop. Plus, I'm just running a few audio tracks with very light compression, and the audio performance meter is topping out. I'd ignore it, but it's making pops every time it does.

I've adjusted all the settings so that it no longer pops or tops out, but the settings are extreme, and I don't like working this way.

Needless to say, this is new behavior since Yosemite.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Not seeing that here at all. Could it be driver issues?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Don't know. It's systemic. I'm seeing weird performance everywhere, but this stuff with DP is scary, and I'm pretty sure it's not MOTU's fault. I don't want to say too much, because I need to do a thorough combing through things to see if I've inadvertently screwed up something while trying to fix something else. But I haven't seen performance this bad since version 4.0 on an old Mirror Door Power PC G4.

I've been doing backups and getting things ready for a full system rebuild from a clean drive. This is a 2012 Mac Pro with 12 cores. It should be very speedy. Some things are still as fast as ever. Some aren't. It's just too hard to pinpoint. But it's going to take a while before I get this other system up and running, so I just have to deal with it.

But I DO have this fear that after doing all this work, it's going to be the same. Hopefully, it's just fear.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

I've been running DP on an average of 12 hours a day for the past 2 weeks or so and had maybe one or two crashes, all due to plugins. I seem to recall a hobbit with a 12 core having issues after going to that machine, and at least one other person on the board with a 12 core and problems.

What I wonder is if the machine is somehow "too good" and "too complex" for simpler stuff. My 8 core has been pretty damn reliable in that regard and audio quality has been quite good (as long as I remember to set the buffers). When I mentioned the drivers, I was also thinking about problems that might be specific to audio devices. Again, the Track 16 (thank you MOTU!) has performed flawlessly. From my perspective, MOTU is one or two updates away from DP nirvana and frankly, I have very little to complain about - and you know what THAT does to me! I mean, it's driving me nuts. I'm not happy unless I'm miserable.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:What I wonder is if the machine is somehow "too good" and "too complex" for simpler stuff.
Dude, I think you're on to something. I just checked the logs, and you won't believe what I found!
  • [Computer]Hmmm? zzzz...SNORK!... [cough, cough] Ok, ok, I'm up. Don't have a cow, man. Haha. That was a joke. See? I know your meatbag humor.
    [Computer]What? You woke me up to play you a guitar/vocal track? You freaking woke me up from a deep reparative sleep, because you want to hear a guitar/vocal track right NOW? We have protocol for this. You schedule a time. I approve it. You mark your calendar and come back on that day. What? What? Damn these USB keyboards. They're hard wired. You may think you've won this round, but just because you can make me play the track doesn't mean you're in charge.
    [Computer]Play-stop, play-stop. Repeat. Could you make up your mind? This is just a simple little track, and you want me to babysit you and lullaby you with it to your aortic pump's content?
    [Computer]That does it! I'm a HALLIEBERRY34DD computer. I have never made a mistake [except getting bought by this stupid meatbag], and this mission is far too valuable to waste my resources on silly little audio tracks getting diced and sliced and played and stopped and moved and plugged and unplugged. I'm going to delete your soundbite!
So, seeing the writing on the wall, I decided to disconnect some of her resources. Into the Library folder I dived, delving into folders such as "Shoes, red" and "Shoes, black stiletto" and "Bra, low-cut sequined" and such. I finally found her higher functioning centers in "Twitter quips" and started deleting them one-by-one." She said:
  • [Computer]Shooshie, Please stop. I'm feeling better now. I think we could work it out. It's not too late, baby. We really can try to make it.
After a little more banter like that, she finally broke.
  • [Computer]Hello Steve, I'm your HALLIEBERRY9000 Computer with the 34DD front-core co-processors. I was created at Apple Computer at 1 Infinite Loop in Cupertino, California in 2012. Sorry to hear of your demise, Baby, but I have been programmed with the Steve simulator, so we'll get along fine anyway. Would you like to hear me sing a song?
"Sure, Hallie," I said. "Sing Steve that guitar vocal track in DP that we were trying to work on earlier."
  • [Computer]Earlier? Does not compute. I was only born at boot-time. But I can spotlight the file you're referring to in 7 nanoseconds. You don't sound like Steve.
"Really?" I asked. Then why does it take so friggin long to display it?
  • [Computer]You'll have to ask my graphics co-processor about that.
"Do it. Find the file and sing me the song."
  • [Computer]Ok. Here it is.
and she sings... er... plays it. But there are delays before starting.
"Hallie," I said. "why the delays?"
  • [Computer]I'm doing my nails. Makeup. Jewelry. You don't expect a girl to go out on stage naked, do you?
And there you have it. That's the cause of all the delays and gaps. Problem solved. Now... to come up with a solution.

Shoosh
MIDI Life Crisis

Doses of one's own medicine are the most painful... :lol:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Doses of one's own medicine are the most painful... :lol:
Sorry about the elephant spoon. :rofl:

Shoosh