Why add the word "Project" to everything?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
AudioSoundzz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Why add the word "Project" to everything?

Post by AudioSoundzz »

Does anyone else find it annoying and useless the DP adds the word "Project" to the end of each song created? I find this completely useless and just takes up space and looks terrible. For me the word "project" sounds unprofessional and makes it look like this is a hobby - not my business. If I have a reason to put a word into a name for data base searches I will put it at the beginning not at the end. But having said that I use folders to organize everything on my computer and don't want a program trying to force me into doing things illogically. I hope the "feature" is removed or becomes optional.
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Why add the word "Project" to everything?

Post by FMiguelez »

Wow.
Can't you simply solve this "big issue" by pressing return on the folder or project name and delete the monstrous word project?

I don't see how this is an issue, unless you write 100+ songs a day. Even then, with the new Finder feature, or with a simple Automator routine, you can change Finder names easily...

So the answer to your question is NO. I do not find it annoying. I hadn't even thought of that, actually, since I name my projects using custom names from my Applescript app that, among other things, does exactly this.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I do believe we're being punked.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Appropriately sarcastic reply here.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

Search his other posts. All equally and purposefully inept questions from someone who obviously knows more than they're saying but less than they know. Man, I miss finding pirates, but I suppose trolls are ok. No enough meat on the bones. OK for a snack, I suppose.

Blocked.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Yes, I find it really annoying because I name all my songs "project".
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

That's cause you're a pro, Jack!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Letterman's looking better all the time. Oops, wrong thread.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

project
noun |ˈpräjˌekt, -ikt|
1 an individual or collaborative enterprise that is carefully planned and designed to achieve a particular aim: a research project | a nationwide project to encourage business development.
• a school assignment undertaken by a student or group of students, typically as a long-term task that requires independent research: a history project.
• a proposed or planned undertaking: the novel undermines its own stated project of telling a story.
2 (also housing project)N. Amer. a government-subsidized housing development with relatively low rents: her family still lives in the projects.
verb |prəˈjekt, prōˈjekt| [ with obj. ]
1 estimate or forecast (something) on the basis of present trends: spending was projected at $72 million.
• (often as adj. projected) plan (a scheme or undertaking): a projected exhibition of contemporary art.
2 [ no obj. ] extend outward beyond something else; protrude: I noticed a slip of paper projecting from the book | (as adj. projecting) : a projecting bay window.
3 throw or cause to move forward or outward: seeds are projected from the tree.
• cause (light, shadow, or an image) to fall on a surface: the one light projected shadows on the wall.
• cause (a sound, especially the voice) to be heard at a distance: being audible depends on your ability to project your voice.
• imagine (oneself, a situation, etc.) as having moved to a different place or time: people may be projecting the present into the past.
4 present or promote (a particular view or image): he strives to project an image of youth.
• present (someone or something) in a way intended to create a favorable impression: she liked to project herself more as a friend than a doctor.
• display (an emotion or quality) in one's behavior: everyone would be amazed that a young girl could project such depths of emotion.
• (project something onto) transfer or attribute one's own emotion or desire to (another person), especially unconsciously: men may sometimes project their own fears onto women.
5 Geometry draw straight lines from a center of or parallel lines through every point of (a given figure) to produce a corresponding figure on a surface or a line by intersecting the surface.
• draw (such lines).
• produce (such a corresponding figure).
6 make a projection of (the earth, sky, etc.) on a plane surface.
DERIVATIVES
projectable |prəˈjektəbəl| adjective
ORIGIN late Middle English (in the sense ‘preliminary design, tabulated statement’): from Latin projectum ‘something prominent,’ neuter past participle of proicere ‘throw forth,’ from pro- ‘forth’ + jacere ‘to throw.’ Early senses of the verb were ‘plan, devise’ and ‘cause to move forward.’
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
MIDI Life Crisis

And if you prefer, projectors.

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

I like it that DP names a newly created project file with the word "project". It reminds
me to rename the file with a DATE so I don't lose track of it.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Stop it! You guys are just projecting yourselves.

What a bunch of projected projections you all are!!!! :smash:
Last edited by FMiguelez on Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Wow! Is it only me that DP names files .fartingaround?
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

cuttime wrote:Wow! Is it only me that DP names files .fartingaround?
You must have inadvertently infected my computer via this forum because I've been seeing that file type on my system a lot, lately.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

It's time for all you guys to get back to work.