Automation delays

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
cowtothesky
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Automation delays

Post by cowtothesky »

Hi all,
I contacted MOTU customer support last week about another issue and didn't get around to asking about this. I have to admit, I was not impressed with the customer service rep this time. I have had awesome experiences with MOTU up until that call. But, I won't bore you with details of that.

My question - I have noticed that when I use the pen tool to draw an automation change - on volume and modulation, there is a delay before it 'takes'. I'll draw a line and let go and the line will stay there for up to 60 seconds before finally registering the change.

It didn't start doing this for me until recently and I have a serious deadline issue that I am working through. Is anyone else having this problem or have had the problem and found out what it was?

I should say that I am using the latest version of DP, have 32gb ram, and plenty of processing speed, repaired permissions, etc.. But, I am pushing the limit with my template - multiple Omnispheres, Zebra, and a full orchestra template hosted with VE Pro.

I just can't figure out why it is doing that. I am also noticing a lot of sluggish activity, such as when I try to scroll up and down my template, it isn't snappy, like it used to be. Maybe it is something I accidentally triggered. Please let me know if you can help. Thanks!
Imac Pro 10-core, 64GB Ram, Mac OS (latest), 2TB SSD, Blackmagic Multiport 4TB SSD, DP 10, Motu Ultralite MK3 Hybrid, VSL Instruments, VE Pro, Vienna Suite, Spectrasonics, Project SAM, Spitfire, Kontakt, Korg M3
cuttime

Re: Automation delays

Post by cuttime »

What's your buffer set at? A low buffer is going to be a burden on your processor regardless of whether you're playing anything out.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
cowtothesky

Re: Automation delays

Post by cowtothesky »

My buffer setting is at 512. I set the priority level from high to medium and that seems to have helped a little. Maybe my template is just pushing my system too far. I was hoping that wasn't the case and that it was some minor setting I could change. Oh well, I guess I'll scale down just a bit and do more bounce downs.
Imac Pro 10-core, 64GB Ram, Mac OS (latest), 2TB SSD, Blackmagic Multiport 4TB SSD, DP 10, Motu Ultralite MK3 Hybrid, VSL Instruments, VE Pro, Vienna Suite, Spectrasonics, Project SAM, Spitfire, Kontakt, Korg M3