DP 8 - Yosemite - MAS crashes - Resolved

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
BobK
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP 8 - Yosemite - MAS crashes - Resolved

Post by BobK »

I'm getting Motu Audio System (MAS) crashes in DP since 'upgrading' to Yosemite from Mavericks, both on my 2009 Mac Pro dual quad-core 2.26GHz and 2012 MacBook Pro.

They occur during playback and recording, and do not occur at predictable intervals.

In some cases, the result is that audio is disabled until I switch it back on in HW Setup. Other times, I dismiss the notification boxes and am able to resume playback immediately, though occasionally with dropouts.

These issues are new to Yosemite, so I suspect the OS is the problem (and of course I regret upgrading from Mavericks).

Everything is up to date - DP 8.07, Metric Halo ULN-8 firmware, driver, and MIO Console.

I imagine this could be related to another issue, where the interface doesn't appear in the menu bar device list (which you get from option-clicking the sound icon) until several minutes after boot. The common theme seems to be timing - the OS seems to take long to recognize and/or communicate with the hardware, which would explain why DP thinks it has lost contact with the hardware. But I'm just speculating.

Anybody else getting this specific kind of crash - i.e., MAS, not the entire DP application?

SOLUTION: The problem appears to have been caused by an old Digi CoreAudio Driver. Mine was installed by Pro Tools 9.

Apparently, something changed in Yosemite which caused that driver to mess with Core Audio. Since removing that driver, I haven't had any MAS crashes.

The Pro Tools 9 uninstaller wouldn't run (thanks, Avid...), so I had to manually remove Pro Tools, Avid hardware drivers, the Core Audio Driver, and all the preferences, frameworks, plugins, and other files in various places, based on information from several web sites.
Last edited by BobK on Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
BKK-OZ

Re: DP 8 - Yosemite - MAS crashes

Post by BKK-OZ »

BobK wrote:...since 'upgrading' to Mavericks...
You mean upgrading from, right?
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
BobK

Re: DP 8 - Yosemite - MAS crashes

Post by BobK »

yes - original post corrected.
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4