DP8 launch crash [OUCH!! UNRESOLVED]

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP8 launch crash [OUCH!! UNRESOLVED]

Post by stubbsonic »

I've never had DP 6 on this machine, only DP7 and DP8. And with these clean installs, only DP8.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Just restored from a recent fairly complete installation (one with no crashes on it).

No DP, no audio/MIDI drivers, just plugins & VI's.

Launched GarageBand. Tried to load some AAS instruments. Weirdly, even though they are authorized in stand-alone mode, they were not authorized as AU's in GB. I authorized one, then went to load a different one, but GB crashed. I did get a crash report.

There was tons of mumbo jumbo, but fairly early in the report was this:

"Crashed Thread: 28

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x00007fb6bcb00008

VM Regions Near 0x7fb6bcb00008:
MALLOC_TINY 00007fb6bc800000-00007fb6bcb00000 [ 3072K] rw-/rwx SM=PRV
-->
STACK GUARD 00007fff56338000-00007fff59b38000 [ 56.0M] ---/rwx SM=NUL stack guard for thread 0"

Don't know what any of it means.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

peacetoyou

Post by peacetoyou »

Not sure if you got this sorted already. I have the same setup, Fireface800. Just updated to DP8. Only snag so far was that my Waves plug-ins didn't load. No crashes or anything. A tech at DP told me that this was due to Incompatibility of 32 bit plug-ins on a 64 bit system. I don't see where to change DP to 32 bit but will keep at it. He also gave me a few work-arounds. If you're interested I can post.

Cheers
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Thanks, P2U.

I haven't tried launching DP in 32-bit since early in this little ordeal.

I'm also seeing problems without DP and with RME at all, so I have no clue what is going on.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

stubbsonic wrote:Weirdly, even though they are authorized in stand-alone mode, they were not authorized as AU's in GB.
That shouldn't happen, should it? Has there ever been a VI that has one authorization process for standalone and another for plugins? Maybe a clue on the location of the problem.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I'll wait to hear back from AAS on that one.

Right now I have an external drive with a partial clean install (from an earlier clone) with DP, Pianoteq 5, and Kontakt 5, just so I can get to work on this project. So far it's working ok with the Echo Audio driver and those two plugins. But I'm already exhausted and just got it working. Now I need to get all musical.

I had not realized how may little preferences and settings I've made with things over the years. I have my keybindings saved, but now Mavericks has taken over so many of them for little OS tasks. (Gotta go into system prefs and turn some of that stuff off.) Man this has been exhausting. You can imagine.

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Booted from my internal drive I just went through and tested all 3rd-party AUs in MainStage 3 and everything worked perfectly. Rhino & Z3ta2 loaded with no problems-- I was able to fully authorize Z3ta2 in MS3.

Booted from an external drive, and with only Pianoteq & Kontakt installed, I was able to use DP with the Echo AudioFire4 interface and actually got some work done for the first time in over a month! Client is coming on Tuesday for some tracking. That gives me a little time to make sure things in this state are stable for audio, etc.

MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Hopeful news!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Got stuff crossed for you, good luck.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
peacetoyou

Post by peacetoyou »

That sounds very promising. Glad you're getting to the bottom of it. So does this mean it was a possibly a computer hardware problem? Bad drive? Hope you're rockin 100% there now.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Thanks, folks. I'm working in a very limited fashion right now, but able to get work done.

Still don't know anything about causes. I think I was seeing multiple things and trying not to over-interpret. A corrupt SMC issue (System Management Controller) could affect things like audio & MIDI- and hardware bus issues. I reset that, so that might have cleared something up.

I'm also curious if there's a difference between being booted from an external drive.

Both RAM & SSD have tested ok, but I haven't run multiple burn-in type tests.

For the project I'm working on-- Lullabies-- I'm really wishing the Tap Tempo thing wasn't hosed in DP. Not being able to tap tempo for lullabies is disappointing. I can tap them in with tracks off, and just singing along, but its not quite as musically connected as hearing the actual accompaniment move with the taps. Also I can't tap tempo while the client is singing. BUT that's another thread.

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... =1&t=58703

stubbsonic

Re: DP8 launch crash OUCH!! [RESOLVED]

Post by stubbsonic »

I held off on taking other steps until finishing other projects.

Took the laptop to the Apple Store and had them test it, no issues found. They did say that their particular wipe/reinstall somehow rewrote the firmware, but I wasn't understanding what they did differently than what I did.

So I was ready to go ahead and try again. Rebuilt my system. In one little gaff on my part I replaced my email folder in the wrong direction and replaced my old full one with the new empty one. So that little boner lost me 5 months of emails!! Other than that I'm all back up.

What is NEW with this setup? Newer versions of lots of software, especially RME's driver and total mix, Rhino, Audio Hijack, and others.

I'm now (4 months later) able to boot from the internal drive and DP is launching reliably with no launch crash. AND I have all my VIs and AUs installed and working, AND in 64 bit.

Now I just need to decide whether I'm going to update to Yosemite or not. Word on the street is that Mavericks has problems with Firewire Audio that were fixed in Yosemite. I was using an Echo AudioFire interface (while I was suspecting the RME FF800), and had to later pencil out a bunch of clicks in a vocal track that we didn't catch. We switched interfaces partway through that session, but one track got past us.