DP8 launch crash [OUCH!! UNRESOLVED]

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP8 launch crash [OUCH!! UNRESOLVED]

Post by stubbsonic »

[EDIT & UPDATE] Originally, all this trouble started with the installation of a new RME FF800 driver. But after a clean install and not installing any RME driver or attaching the interface, the trouble remains.

Five weeks in, and still haven't sorted it. AU's work perfectly in GarageBand. The DP launch crash is related to AU's in that after the crash happens, one or more AU's becomes "damaged" (at least as far as DP is concerned). Removing them allows DP to launch. But what causes the DP crash or AU damage is still quite unclear. Beginning to look at hardware as an issue.

There have been issues with DP8, AUs, and with the Fireface MIDI driver. But it is all unclear as to what the initial cause of the problems are. It could be that the DP crash is creating ripple effects. Very tricky one, this.

The thread contains lots of red herrings. As of 11/27/14 (Thanksgiving!) the cause is not known. Two clean installs and a very careful pruning of AU's has not solved it. Removing the RME FF800 from the equation did not solve it.

The next phase is to begin to test the SSD and RAM for problems. I've reset PRAM several times. But I haven't reset the SMC yet. Not sure now to do that on the RMBP as I think the battery might be glued in. Will look that up.

:smash:
Last edited by stubbsonic on Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:46 am, edited 7 times in total.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mikehalloran

Re: DP8 crashes during launch (OS 10.9.5)

Post by mikehalloran »

I would reinstall DP 8 and repair permissions first. If you still have the problem, yes, the RME driver is your likely suspect.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Thanks, Mike. I'll do that right away.

I did try reverting to the older RME driver, but that didn't fix it. (Ended up with it launching both old & new mixer apps, so I need to see if I can find an uninstaller as well.

I'll report back. Thanks!
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Ok. I did a few iterations of re-installed DP 8.07, and re-installing either of the RME drivers (my previous one and the new one). I did restarts and permissions repairs after each attempt.

I also tried launching DP8 in 64-bit mode, but it crashed in the exact same way.

It looks like it finishes going through the plug-ins, finishing with Wah Pedal. Then it shows the menu bar for an instant, then it brings up the crash reporter.

Now I'm stuck and I didn't even jump on the Yosemite thing. I don't think I did anything risky.

BTW, when I repaired permissions both before and after installing the older & newer RME driver, these were the items listed both times:

Repairing permissions for “Macintosh HD”
Permissions differ on “System/Library/CoreServices/Feedback Assistant.app”; should be drwxr-xr-x ; they are lrwxr-xr-x .
Repaired “System/Library/CoreServices/Feedback Assistant.app”
Permissions differ on “Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Resources/Safari.help/Contents/Resources/index.html”; should be lrwxr-xr-x ; they are -rwxr-xr-x . Repaired “Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Resources/Safari.help/Contents/Resources/index.html”
Group differs on “Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/MAS”; should be 0; group is 80.
Permissions differ on “Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/MAS”; should be drwxr-xr-x ; they are drwxrwxr-x .
Repaired “Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/MAS”
Permissions repair complete

MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Have you started up holding the option key? If not, do so and select an option. I'd start with "safe" or whatever it's called and see if it launches. If not, shut all the plugs off and see if it still happens. If is does, then something must either be corrupted or installed incorrectly.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I tried using the Option "Disable All" but it still crashed.

Then I selected "safe" and that worked. PHEEEW! :D

Now I'll just need to see which of the plugs is corrupt or causing the problem.

Since disable all didn't fix it, I'm curious how to approach this. And what other things "Safe" mode provided.

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I tried trashing all the DP prefs I could find (then re-installed DP).

I was hoping that if it scanned the AU's it might find something.

But it might be an MAS plug-in, or I guess it could be other stuff.

If "Disable All" didn't work, and "Safe" did, are there other things besides plug-ins that could be implicated?

More tests....

MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

You know there were a few updates to drivers in the past week?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

The only driver I updated was for RME Fireface, and neither the old driver nor the new driver seem to have any affect on the issue-- since I know the crash seems to happen whether the device is connect or not.

And since I didn't update the OS, and I'm not using any other audio hardware (no MOTU hardware here)-- are there other new drivers I should either install or avoid (since I'm not on 10.10)?

I does seem a little tricky to figure out if it is a corrupt plug-in. It crashes when "all are disabled" and launches when the "safe" set is enabled.

I'm in over my head. I'll connect with MOTU Tech support on this.

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Do you have a crash report that you can update to a techlink? If so, MOTU support is pretty good at seeing the conflict.

BTW, I would not have recommended reinstalling the driver after reinstalling DP 8.07. I have run into this often enough that I don't report it here. I have come to accept that some installers break paths in DP and reinstalling fixes them.

What are your installation security settings? If not Allow apps downloaded from • Anywhere, change them first. Not all installers generate the proper error but, if it should, it won't install everything properly.

Now, reinstall one of the drivers (the driver that worked?). Reinstall DP and repair permissions. See if you still have a problem.

Unless you did all that already. If so, go back to my opening question.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Thanks for the help, fellers. But I'm afraid the situation is devolving.

I made sure that the last steps were installing DP8, and repairing permissions.

The situation seems worse now. DP hangs in a non-responsive state much earlier in the launch. Holding Option no longer works because this crash is different & earlier (long before plugs start to load). The crash reporter doesn't automatically come up, I have to force-quit to see a OS level crash report.

Not that it matters, but this is with the older RME driver installed--but the FF800 was offline.

Poop. I guess I'll try to use GarageBand for the next few days. Poop!
:surrender: :smash:

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Working with MOTU Support now. Just wanted to give an update.

I was able to launch DP under a new user acct I had created.

I am also able to OPTION-launch DP when I use the "safe" plugin set. Weirdly, I created a plug-in set with ALL plug-ins turned off (which it looks like they are all MAS plugs in the DP8/Preferences/Plugin manager), DP crashes when I choose that set. Actually, it did launch one time, but crashes every time after that.

I also moved all the plug-in preferences I could identify into a folder on my desktop, but that didn't fix anything.

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Hoo-boy. This is worrisome. If it can happen to you, it can happen to me.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop on this. It means having a reference if it DOES happen to any of us. That's what it's all about, so... thanks again. And sorry for what you're having to go through. I sure hope you get to the bottom of it soon.

Meanwhile, props to MOTU for getting you off dead-center and getting some movement happening again.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

The process has been slow. And I'm trying to be patient as long spells of time go by between the tips I get from MOTU support.

The first snag was that all this time when it looked like I was sending crash reports to MOTU, apparently they are not getting them (even when I tried another email address). I didn't know where to look for DP's crash reports, and MOTU's support guy neglected to mention any paths in his short posts.

I looked in ~Library/Logs/DiagnosticReport and there were some crash logs from MIDIServer and mdworker from a few days ago. But there weren't nearly enough of them to correspond with all the crashes I've seen. I didn't see anything from DP or MOTU in there.

I looked in a few other places but didn't find any DP/MOTU crash things.

It would be possible to just create a new user and start working again. I'd need to move a bunch of projects to a folder that can be accessed by the other user acct. I guess that's ok. But it will remain to be seen what authorizations I've already hosed in this process. It'll be a few hours of that, as well.

BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

You said your problems started after the RME driver update - what do RME have to say? I don't use their kit, but maybe they have a forum where other users have experienced problems with that update?

Just a stab in the dark, I feel for you.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku