Path to missing audio files?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
flextone
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by flextone »

Hi guys,

I'm revisiting 5 year old project files and some of the audio files are missing. I know they exist somewhere on my external HD because I haven't changed it since then, but I did change computers and gave that HD a different name. Anyway I could find some of the files from memory, but others with default names like "audio 03-02" escape me and they're not in the project's audio files folder.

The indexing on my external audio HD is turned off so I can't search for them, but in the dialog box that opens when DP8 notifies me that some files are missing it shows me a shortened version of the path. Is there a way to see the full path DP thinks the files are in? Any other ideas about how to solve this?

Thanks,
Ronny.
bayswater

Re: Path to missing audio files?

Post by bayswater »

Do the file paths show up in the Soundbites window?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
flextone

Post by flextone »

bayswater wrote:Do the file paths show up in the Soundbites window?
You mean Soundfile Information? No, it just says "last seen as soundfile called Audio 01-03 on disk Scratch", scratch was the name of the HD in the past.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Oops.

I know DP has, or had, a dialog asking you if you want it to search for files that had been moved. It also used some sort of file ID in addition to file names to location files. I don't know if it still does that. But it was pretty good at finding the correct files when it did.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

flextone wrote: The indexing on my external audio HD is turned off so I can't search for them... Any other ideas about how to solve this?

Thanks,
Ronny.
Yes. Let Spotlight index the drive so that you can search it. Yea, it takes awhile the first time you run it but what choice do you have?

I doubt that DP can search for non-indexed files either.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
flextone

Post by flextone »

I guess there's no other way... off to index the HD!

could the files have been erased somehow? I see the regions in the project, I would never delete them just like that. how can files disappear? ok I'll index and search, hope they're somewhere in there.

Thanks.
frankf

Post by frankf »

I'm pretty sure volumes have to be mounted to search them with Spotlight. Spotlight does not help with the 20 or so archive HDs I have stored. I use Disk Catalog Maker which scans mounted volumes and creates a single searchable database on your Mac. After you scan external drives, you can eject them and store them. Search for Project X and you will see all location of the project and can drill down to the audio files to find elusive files, then mount the specified volumes and retrieves the files :) or lament that the drive failed 2 years ago :( I used Disktracker also for a long time but I like DiskCatalog Maker better.

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
leigh

Post by leigh »

If you are comfortable in the Terminal, the find command might help you avoid indexing:

$> find /Volumes/AudioHD | grep file

**Leigh
-----
$> man find

NAME
find -- walk a file hierarchy

SYNOPSIS
find [-H | -L | -P] [-EXdsx] [-f path] path ... [expression]
find [-H | -L | -P] [-EXdsx] -f path [path ...] [expression]

DESCRIPTION
The find utility recursively descends the directory tree for each path listed, evaluating an expression (composed of the
``primaries'' and ``operands'' listed below) in terms of each file in the tree.

. . .
I don't care what you play. I care how you play.— Karl Berger

iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon W, 128GB RAM, Mac OS X 14.2, DP 11.3
VSL, VE Pro 7, MIR Pro 3D, UVI Falcon, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Ozone 9 Advanced, RX 8 Advanced, Dorico 5, Metric Halo ULN-8-3D mkiv, ULN-2-3D & 2882-3D interfaces, Novation Impulse-49, various mics
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

You can run Find from the Finder without Terminal. It's not intuitive and the drives do have to be mounted.

I have experienced this exact issue. Once you find those audio files, place copies back into the Audio Files folder of your project and you'll be good to go.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
leigh

Post by leigh »

mikehalloran wrote:You can run Find from the Finder without Terminal. It's not intuitive and the drives do have to be mounted.
I learn something new every day!

**Leigh
I don't care what you play. I care how you play.— Karl Berger

iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon W, 128GB RAM, Mac OS X 14.2, DP 11.3
VSL, VE Pro 7, MIR Pro 3D, UVI Falcon, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Ozone 9 Advanced, RX 8 Advanced, Dorico 5, Metric Halo ULN-8-3D mkiv, ULN-2-3D & 2882-3D interfaces, Novation Impulse-49, various mics
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

frankf wrote:I'm pretty sure volumes have to be mounted to search them with Spotlight. Spotlight does not help with the 20 or so archive HDs I have stored. I use Disk Catalog Maker which scans mounted volumes and creates a single searchable database on your Mac. After you scan external drives, you can eject them and store them. Search for Project X and you will see all location of the project and can drill down to the audio files to find elusive files, then mount the specified volumes and retrieves the files :) or lament that the drive failed 2 years ago :( I used Disktracker also for a long time but I like DiskCatalog Maker better.

Frank Ferrucci
Ha! I'm a DiskTracker user, too, but it's getting a little long in the tooth. If you think that Disk Catalog Maker is better, I'm certainly willing to try it out. I always admired the speed of DiskTracker, and the no-frills approach to finding a file quickly. It's not like I want to be coddled with a nice interface; I just want to find my files. Nowadays, I'm thinking I could use something that at least makes a preview or gives some clue as to the contents of files I forgot 15 years ago. Surprisingly, most of my DVDs from about 2002 are still functional. That's where I used to archive things, before we started counting GB like potato chips. I need to transfer all those to HD. I've been archiving on WD MyStudio Firewire hard drives, which are relatively cheap, very capacious, and extremely convenient.

I'll give Disk Catalog Maker a try.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
frankf

Post by frankf »

Previews would be a nice add. I'd like to see Finder Comments and Tags also, but the db is pretty large as it is. Let me (us) know how you like DCM.

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB