Part of one track at cut off when using Bounce To Disk

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Part of one track at cut off when using Bounce To Disk

Post by Babz »

This is a new one for me.

I did a bounce to disk and a soundbite at the beginning of one track was not included in the mixdown. I tried various attempts at a fix -- moving it to a separate track, restarting, repair permissions, etc.

Eventually, the only thing that would fix it was to add an extra bar of silence at the beginning, and then finally it would be included as part of the bounce.

I've read threads in the past of stuff getting cut on with bounces (but never experienced it). The strange part is that it was only part of one track getting not cut off, not all the tracks. The soundbite getting excluded did not start at the very beginning. Other tracks which DO start at the beginning are not cut off.

It could have something to do with lookahead (UAD Precision Limiter on the Master Track), but I did several bounces on this project earlier and didn't experience this issue. I use this limiter all the time and have never gotten this.

This happened after I had done the final mix with no problems. I then decided it needed a few minor tweaks, so I opened it and did a Save As (so I could keep the earlier version). I moved, and trimmed, and crossfaded a few soundbites (but did nothing to the problem soundbite, and none of my edits were near the beginning of the sequence).

Anyone ever experience anything like this?

Now that I finally have a complete bounced WAV file, what is the best way to trim off this extra silence at the beginning?

Best,
Babz

DP 8.07. 64-bit. About 10-12 audio tracks. No MIDI. Minimal plugins used (2-3 DP plugins, a couple of UAD, one NI delay plugin). OS X 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion).
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Part of one track at cut off when using Bounce To Disk

Post by stubbsonic »

Babz wrote: Now that I finally have a complete bounced WAV file, what is the best way to trim off this extra silence at the beginning?
Can't speak to the main part of your quarry but for this, I use the Waveform editor, I turn off the snap to checkbox so I can freely select. Zoom in, select silence from right to left. COMMAND-J to snip it out.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Workarounds are great, but I suggest contact MOTU to find a solution. If I'm BTD for a film or TV or other score to picture, I need precise file lengths to match the picture or I have to f#$% with sync and that is really unnecessary if the software is working correctly. There is something a miss. Contact MOTU! Pre-render?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

I created a new DP file to do the trimming.

This project was originally started in DP 6, so maybe that had something to do with it. Hopefully this was just an isolated incident.

But I still would like to know if anyone else has had problems with stuff getting cut off or not included when bouncing to disk.

Best,
Babz
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

I've had, in the past, severe but inconsistent bugs with DP bounce.
Never with audio tracks, but *sometimes* with MIDI tracks.

AFAICR, two kinds of bugs:
- first MIDI notes not present in the bounce, with *some* VIs.
- *some* MIDI notes not present in the bounce. This last one was a deal breaker, for the missing notes were only in heavy fast rhythmic contents, so quite hard to check out after bounce. I went with real time recording of the final mix.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
niharsavala

Post by niharsavala »

I am getting the same problem. fraction of the audio in the beginning getting cut off. It never happened before.

Did you guys find a sol to this, I wud be very eager to know? This is really frustrating. I have to manually get them in sync, thanks to the age-old habit of putting cow-bell count-ins at the start.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

niharsavala wrote:I am getting the same problem. fraction of the audio in the beginning getting cut off. It never happened before.

Did you guys find a sol to this, I wud be very eager to know? This is really frustrating. I have to manually get them in sync, thanks to the age-old habit of putting cow-bell count-ins at the start.
Not enough information. What version of DP? What OS? How are you selecting tracks? What are you bouncing to? Is it audio only? Audio and MIDI? What plugins are you using?

This thread is two years old. Most of us have never had the problem.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

This has been covered in another thread.

AFAICR, I *sometimes* get unreliable bounces when there are heavy plugs on master fader, such as Ozone and the like.

This does happen with very low audio track count, and a few fades and track overlaps.
But, AFAICT, never when there is only one stereo audio track.

So, nowadays I always bounce in two steps :
- first step *mix* with all tracks and *light* master fader (i.e. MW limiter only).
- second step *mastering* with one single stereo audio track only, and *heavy* master fader (i.e. Ozone and such).
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Yea, I was thinking of Ozone 5 when I asked even though I've never had that issue. It could be, because I use Ozone Advanced, that I can use the various tools independently without loading those I don't use.

A generic "this just started..." Yikes. Without context, there's no way to help.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro