Click track affecting sound of instruments

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
cowtothesky
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Click track affecting sound of instruments

Post by cowtothesky »

Hello,
I believe this started with DP8 for me, but when I am using a click track, it is lowering the volume of my instrument tracks on the 1 bar. So, when I am recording a part, it sounds like on every 1 bar, the instrument is muffled or lowered.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and know a fix to this? It is extremely distracting and is affecting my workflow. When I turn off the click, it sounds fine. It only happens while recording using a click.
Imac Pro 10-core, 64GB Ram, Mac OS (latest), 2TB SSD, Blackmagic Multiport 4TB SSD, DP 10, Motu Ultralite MK3 Hybrid, VSL Instruments, VE Pro, Vienna Suite, Spectrasonics, Project SAM, Spitfire, Kontakt, Korg M3
greg328

Re: Click track affecting sound of instruments

Post by greg328 »

Do you mean,every 1 beat?
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 GIG RAM, Apollo Quad, OS 13.4.1 Ventura
DP 11.22, Yamaha Motif XS8, Novation MoroderNova, UAD Apollo and FX plugs, Lots of PLAY/OPUS libraries, Ivory 2, lots of Arturia titles, all 4 Spectrasonics titles, NI Komplete 13, BFD2-3, Addictive Drums 2, MachFive 3, Pianoteq 6, lots of UVI Workstation titles, All 5 MusicLab guitars-RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLesPaulCustom, RealRickenbacker and RealEight.
cowtothesky

Post by cowtothesky »

Yes. For instance, if I'm working in 4/4, only the 1/4 beat muffles the sound of the instrument at every 1/4. I'm not recording audio files, only MIDI instruments and it does it on every instrument I've tried.
Imac Pro 10-core, 64GB Ram, Mac OS (latest), 2TB SSD, Blackmagic Multiport 4TB SSD, DP 10, Motu Ultralite MK3 Hybrid, VSL Instruments, VE Pro, Vienna Suite, Spectrasonics, Project SAM, Spitfire, Kontakt, Korg M3
cowtothesky

Post by cowtothesky »

Also, it is fine when I play back the recording with no click, so it isn't affecting what I'm recording. It only happens as I'm recording with a click.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Sounds like the masking effect. Try a different click sound or reducing the gain of the downbeat click.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Yea, is the click ridiculously loud? Makes me wonder if there's a compressor on the same bus.

But yea, HCMarkus's idea seems like the most logical first place to look. Often the gain on that beat 1 click is pretty jacked.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

Do you have a compressor or limiter on the Master Fader, by any chance? The click might be hitting the compressor too hard.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

cowtothesky wrote:Also, it is fine when I play back the recording with no click, so it isn't affecting what I'm recording. It only happens as I'm recording with a click.
How are you monitoring? Is there enough amplifier power for you monitors? Are you clipping? Does this happen when you lower the overall volume?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
cowtothesky

Post by cowtothesky »

Thanks so much, everyone. I love this forum.

Yep, I had a light compressor on my master fader. I turned down the click volume and that has resolved the issue. Thanks again. It was so annoying. ;)