Calling on Wisdom of the DP User base! MIDI Editing Keys?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
StringSlinger
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Calling on Wisdom of the DP User base! MIDI Editing Keys?

Post by StringSlinger »

Hello,

I am pretty new here so forgive me if I am posting in the wrong area or on the wrong thread.

I am wondering if anyone else has any ideas on simplifying this repetitive task I find myself doing.

Is there a better way to do this:

1. When sculpting MIDI controller data in the MIDI data window (mostly Volume, Pan, Mod, breath & Velocity) I find the most exposed (non-overlapped) area of the type of data I wish to edit.
2. Select on a "tiny" little datapoint or a cluster of exposed ones.
3. Click the "data solo" button.
4. Select the range of the now completely exposed data stream and edit it to my hearts content.
5. Un-solo data type.
6. Select next data type.
7. Re-solo.
8. Select range to be edited.
9. Repeat.... repeat....repeat....

I feel like I am spending a tremendous amount of my time cycling through these mouse only buttons and menus. It takes about 5 steps to make one little change on one track. In a sequence with a lot of tracks it takes a long time to get stuff done on just a little section.

Is there a key command for that "data solo" button?

Would a group of commands to solo and edit (bring into focus) a specific and constantly used set of MIDI controllers be a great solution to having to keep going to click on that tiny solo type button and then that controller menu to reassign the pencil to draw with?

Most of the time I just want to do a "global" or "local" nudge up or down and I do have my F3 key assigned to the change continuous data menu, but that often is a little tedious if you have to switch from positive values to negative values. Or switch between different controller numbers.

I have my F4 key assigned to the Change Velocity menu, but that is a fairly deep page as well, requiring multiple clicks to get a result.

I wish there was a way to just assign two keys to "nudge selected controller data by user amount +" and "nudge selected controller data by user amount -".

It feels like it would be so quick to be able to just click on a data type and hit one assigned F key to bump up for example the "mod data" by 3 or 5 points and another to nudge it down if you are wrong....

It is frustrating because it is just so slow to do things this way. I am using a motorized fader mixer for volume and pan, but it doesn't deal with the other controller numbers.

I have read somewhere that Hans Zimmer has hired someone to write some code for him that allows him to use one of those "Motorized 8-Fader" JL Cooper boxes with different assignable MIDI controller numbers besides just pan and volume (and of course it has 2 way communication so he can edit all those different controllers with touch or latch mode). That would be so amazing if it filtered down to the rest of the world. (or if it has.. if someone would tell me which motorized fader product has drivers that act like that with DP!)

While I am making a wish list..... does anyone know if there is a "latch" button or "command click" to make the "preview" box checked by default in the Quantize dialog? It always comes back unchecked and it is requiring what feels like thousands of clicks per day. I think it would be great if it acted like the "metronome" button and just stayed on preview until you turned it off.

Thanks a lot for reading and I just want to add that I have really got a lot out of this forum in a short time and I spend lots of time just reading users issues hoping I know an obscure answer so I can pay something back.
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Calling on Wisdom of the DP User base! MIDI Editing Keys

Post by Shooshie »

I'm afraid you've identified some of the contents of our collective wish list. In many ways, DP is still the DAW your grandpa used.

Used this morning, that is. He'll be finishing up a mix this afternoon, because DP is fast when you get the hang of it. Sure, you have to click a few buttons and boxes. Gotta leave some real work in there, or we'd just have people sitting still, using the latest brain-wave reader, complaining (in brain waves, of course) that they have to think too hard to click the QuickFilter. That's the data solo button you mentioned.

I assume you've checked out the Commands Window. Seems like you said you reassigned some commands. So, I guess you know about as much as we do about figuring out alternative workflows.

Best of luck! Write MOTU and ask for a QuickFilter command! And Change Nudge Amount command. And a command to edit any controller by typing the command, then the controller number. Or something like that. We have a whole barrel full of wishes for DP. Maybe some day we'll get them. Until then, using DP kinda keeps things in the real world.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|