OSX 10.9.5 accidental update....

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
rob fetters
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

OSX 10.9.5 accidental update....

Post by rob fetters »

During an new iPhone 6 backup transfer from iTunes I was required to update iTunes on my studio Mac and pushed "yeah, sure, I agree" before realizing I was also moving up to 10.9.5 ....Duh! Any issues with this OS and DP you pioneers have come across I should be aware of? I was doing OK with DP 8.0.6 and 10.9.4. Thanks.
DP 10.13 / OSX 10.14.6
MacPro 3.33 6-Core w/SSD, 32G RAM. Metric Halo I/O. (...using MH Console as a summing mixer.)
VIs / plug-ins include NI Komplete, VSL, Slate, Sound Toys, Voxengo, Kush, Eventide, Oeksound, Izotope.
Shooshie

Re: OSX 10.9.5 accidental update....

Post by Shooshie »

I can't say whether this is an OS problem or MY problem, but since I moved to 10.9.5, I've had a persistent Finder bug, in which the Finder eventually crashes, basically causing me to force-shutdown the computer. So far my files are intact, but the force-shutdown has caused me to lose unsaved data on a number of occasions. I'd say that over the past two months, I've forced a shutdown at least once a day, and often more than that. Natural shutdowns rarely complete, hanging at some point on a white (light gray) screen.

It does not happen when I do a safe-boot.

Another anomaly is that after anything that resets caches, my applications have to be booted twice the next time I open them. Every application crashes during its first boot, then it opens fine from that point onward, until I clean out the caches again. Safe Boot, for example, cleans out caches, so the next time I open any app after a Safe Boot (after I've restarted and am back in regular operation) each app will crash on opening, then reopen without problems. I've learned to take it in stride.

You may not have any of these problems. Since it does not happen in Safe-Boot mode, I figure it has to be a non-Apple extension, driver, or other process that's causing it. I've tried for two months to track it down. Maybe more; I don't remember when I first installed 10.9.5. So far I've been unsuccessful. If I ever figure it out, I'll post somewhere in the forum if it appears likely to affect others.

Oh... and one more thing; Quicklook will no longer do a full-screen slide show in the Finder merely by invoking Option-Spacebar. This has been a problem since Mavericks, still unfixed. To get a full-screen slideshow, I do the following:
  • • Select the files I want
    • Hit Spacebar to open a slideshow of them in a single window
    • Resize the window. It can be any corner or edge, in any direction, by any amount.
    • Click the full-screen arrows in the top-right of the window.
Now it will play all the pictures once you click the "Start" button, all at full-screen. I have no idea why it works like this, except that when you resize a window in QuickLook, all pictures will the use the new size, rather than the window adjusting to the size of each picture when it pops up. For me, it's very aggravating to see a slideshow with a large picture followed by a tiny one, followed by one in-between, etc. This at least forces them all to go full-screen.

Another way to do it is to use "sticky keys," which you enable at System Preferences/Accessibility/Keyboard/Sticky Keys, then toggle on/off sticky keys by tapping "Shift" 5 times. Then you can push the Option key, and it will stay down for the duration of the slideshow, forcing each picture to a full-screen size. I don't like fooling with sticky keys, especially when they come on while I'm working in other apps.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
rob fetters

Post by rob fetters »

Thanks, Shooshie. (And thanks for all your posts over the years.) Keep us informed if you track the fix.
DP 10.13 / OSX 10.14.6
MacPro 3.33 6-Core w/SSD, 32G RAM. Metric Halo I/O. (...using MH Console as a summing mixer.)
VIs / plug-ins include NI Komplete, VSL, Slate, Sound Toys, Voxengo, Kush, Eventide, Oeksound, Izotope.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

After you posted, I added the part about Quicklook in the Finder to my post. I'd be interested in knowing if yours behaves the same way.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Absolutely ZERO problems here. Minor annoyances, like the Finder windows having overly long NAME sections in LIST VIEW. There's a fix for it with 3rd party apps.

DP is working great. All other programs also doing fab! I don't know what Shoosh is doing to that poor machine... LOL

j/k man... ☺ :unicorn:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

MLC, will Quicklook do full-screen slideshows in your Finder, merely by invoking Option-Spacebar?

You have to try it with several pictures of sizes smaller than your screen. The first one comes up full-screen, but the rest default to their actual size. If all your pictures are larger than the screen, that's not a problem, but if they are smaller, they won't fill up the screen.

I've never heard anyone else mention this, but I figured maybe not everyone does slideshows all the time when managing their photo folders in the Finder. I literally use this several times a day, so it was aggravating to me when it quit working, back when I installed Mavericks.

Shoosh
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:...the Finder windows having overly long NAME sections in LIST VIEW. There's a fix for it with 3rd party apps.
Can't you just adjust the width of the column? That's what I do.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I tried that and MANY variations but it always defaulted back to long view. It's a known bug.

I also tried to find the thread at Apple Discussions, but they have completely revamped that site and removed a lot of discussions about problems that have been posted. There were about 7 pages of comments by other users.

I did find this: http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... =4&t=58150
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I tried that and MANY variations but it always defaulted back to long view. It's a known bug.

I also tried to find the thread at Apple Discussions, but they have completely revamped that site and removed a lot of discussions about problems that have been posted. There were about 7 pages of comments by other users.

I did find this: http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... =4&t=58150
Ahh... I didn't know that. Well, truth is, I use the file name as a place for a brief description, so I'm always EXTENDING the width of the column. I mean, here is a typical example of a file name among my photo collections:
  • Pere Marquette, 2-8-0 Consolidation Steam, Helper through Salem, Michigan with engine 1103 doing the helping, 23 Cars, July 22 1947
So, you can see that I'd never even notice that bug. Plus, I tend to keep things in icon view, because I am either looking at photos or folders, and I use custom icons for folders for instant recognition. (I make a lot of custom icons, btw)

That's what I'm doing when I'm not doing music.

Shoosh
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

rob fetters wrote:During an new iPhone 6 backup transfer from iTunes I was required to update iTunes on my studio Mac and pushed "yeah, sure, I agree" before realizing I was also moving up to 10.9.5 ....Duh! Any issues with this OS and DP you pioneers have come across I should be aware of? I was doing OK with DP 8.0.6 and 10.9.4. Thanks.
I was forced to update the laptop to 10.9.5 to do the bash update. I use DP on it mostly to try out things that I don't want on my desktop until I know they're OK. So far, everything seems fine with 10.9.5, or at least as "fine" as it was in 10.9.4
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
frankf

Post by frankf »

I've seen the Bash update. What is it and should everyone on Mavericks do the update?

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

frankf wrote:I've seen the Bash update. What is it and should everyone on Mavericks do the update?

Frank Ferrucci
From what I read, if you have no web services running on your Mac, it's not necessary, but the security threat is being hyped, so who knows how serious it is.

There's another thread on this somewhere. Here: http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... sh#p491760
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I was having a restore from Time Machine issue on one of my Macs in 10.9.4. I could restore any of four computers to this machine but none of the backups for that particular Mac.

Three AppleCare senior techs who specialize in Time Machine were running traces etc. trying to figure it out to no avail.

After installing OS 10.9.5, I was able to restore without a problem. They were glad I was able to close out the case but no one has a clue what the problem was.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

frankf wrote:I've seen the Bash update. What is it and should everyone on Mavericks do the update?

Frank Ferrucci
Been wondering the same. I downloaded it, but it's just sitting on my desktop. I don't know whether or not to install it. Chances are, it doesn't mess with anything that I need, so there probably isn't any harm in installing it. I mean, the whole installer and compressed file is only 3.4MB, so it's just a few lines of code somewhere. And you know it'll be in the next OS X update, anyway.

Shoosh
billf

Post by billf »

Frank Ferrucci
Bash has been around since the late 80's, and is a Unix shell. If you are running any web services, the Shellshock bug in Bash allows an attacker to execute commands on your computer. The bug could be used to exploit compromised systems for botnets and such. So if you think you are at risk for this, that's what the update is about.

It's not an OSX bug per se, but OSX is one of the affected operating systems.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1