DP 8.07 Saved Document Changes?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP 8.07 Saved Document Changes?

Post by bayswater »

I always thought that when I saved a DP project, either at the initial setup, or using Save As, that DP created a folder called "ProjectName Folder" and then put the DP document there along with subfolders for Audio files, and so on. So I have always just navigated to my audio drive, and saved from there.

In 8.07, I see that the project file goes to the root directory of my Audio drive, and not in a project folder. Later if I create some audio, there will be an Audio folder, also in the root directory. If I create audio before the first save, DP 8.07 will create a document folder and put the document file and the audio folder in it.

Is this a change? If so, it makes no sense for anyone who has more than one project on the go. Maybe a bug?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
wvandyck

Re: DP 8.07 Saved Document Changes?

Post by wvandyck »

Saving a project in DP 7.24 does automatically create a named folder on my system.
Saving in DP 8.0.7 does not, consistent with your findings.
2017 2.9 GHz MPB/1TB ssd; loaded 2012 i7 quadcore Mini, OS 10.15.5
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I'm still working in about 5 existing projects, so I haven't seen that one yet. If I can't find a trigger to make that happen, that's bad news. Not earth-shattering, I guess, but it could sure cause some problems if people don't know about it.

Every project you create at root level will put its audio in the same folder.

THAT will be a mess. I think this needs to be fixed.

Are you sure there's no button, option, preference... Actually, I think there IS a preference. "Documents." I'm not at DP right now; maybe someone might want to try it.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Wow. I'd forgotten that I had started a new project on August 27, in which I was playing in scores for printing in Sibelius. I actually started that in a folder. The first day I worked in that file, all the data when where it should, including auto-saves.

The 2nd day I worked in it, it somehow created a new file in the open folder (the container of the project folder), and my auto saves folder, audio folder, analysis files folders, etc., are all scattered in the big folder that contains dozens of project folders. Having caught it when I did, it won't be too hard to correct, I think. But had this gone on for a few weeks, over multiple projects, I'd be looking at a farking MESS.

MOTU has got to fix this, but until they do, we've got to make every user aware of what's happening. Everyone write MOTU! We need numbers to get them to see the need to fix this!

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
dix

Post by dix »

Is this related to my "Post Auto-Save Save As…" issue (here: http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 26&t=58414) or something else? 7.24's Auto-Save never had this problem.

It can be difficult to reintegrate projects when this happens. The audio files created in the new (wrong) Audio Folder will have duplicate names as the old, so you have rename the new ones while the new project is open in order to be able to drag them to the old Audio Folder where they belong. ….i realize this last paragraph is hard to understand. let's just say it's a PIA when this happens.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I really don't know at this point. I'm just figuring it out for the first time, myself. I was shocked to find all those folders just hanging out in the open. Those should all have been in their respective project folders.

Shooshie
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

dix wrote:Is this related to my "Post Auto-Save Save As…" issue (here: http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 26&t=58414) or something else? 7.24's Auto-Save never had this problem.

It can be difficult to reintegrate projects when this happens. The audio files created in the new (wrong) Audio Folder will have duplicate names as the old, so you have rename the new ones while the new project is open in order to be able to drag them to the old Audio Folder where they belong. ….i realize this last paragraph is hard to understand. let's just say it's a PIA when this happens.
It seemed to me that it might related be when I posted this, but I didn't know how to solve your problem so I started a new thread. Shooshie reads them all so we're safe.

I'll report it as a bug. Can't be a feature. I hope others do too.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
magicd

Post by magicd »

If you use Save As to save a project but don't have "Duplicate Audio" checked, a new Project folder will not be created. Save As never used to create a project folder for the document, no matter where you saved it, and it still doesn't. If you had "Duplicate Audio" checked, Save As would create a new project folder. The only thing that changed there is that now Save As defaults to not duplicating audio while Save A Copy As does.

I can see the confusion, but this is exactly the same behavior as DP 8.06, DP 7 before it and as far back as I know. The only difference is that we uncoupled that checkbox from the Save a Copy As dialog so you could have different saved settings in each and made the default setting for Save As to not copy.

Dave
dix

Post by dix »

I think this may be a different issue and not just a Save As problem (as in Shooshie's case). I've not experienced it personally, but it looks like, for some, DP is not always saving files into the project folder and is instead putting it on another level, creating a new Auto-save, Audio and Analysis folders when it does. If I'm understanding the problem, that sounds like a bug.

What I HAVE experienced is that when opening a file from an Auto-saved .dpdoc the required-Save As by default goes to the Documents folder of my boot drive, forcing me to navigate back to the Project folder before I Save As (or end up with new Auto-save, Audio and Analysis folders in my Documents folder). As previously stated, not exactly a bug, but not a feature either.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I just can't get on the auto-save bandwagon. I don't like ANY program just accessing my HD when it feels like it should - except TimeMachine, of course, THAT auto-save is implemented perfectly, IMO.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

One thing I need to clear up:

I did not do a Save-As.

I created a NEW file, using the EMPTY template.

That is what resulted in a naked file with no Project Folder, both times that it happened.

Today, testing it at long last, I do not get that same result. I cannot explain the anomaly.

Shoosh
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Just repeating for emphasis:

When I created a NEW file, using the "EMPTY" template, the resulting file had no project folder.

That happened twice, a month ago.

When testing it today, it did not happen.

There was no Save-As involved. Consequently, there could not be any audio files to copy. These settings should not have had anything to do with a NEW file.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

What I had was a project with an EMPTY Audio folder. The audio was in another project in the same root folder but I couldn't say how I created it and it may be operator error on my part. WHAT IF!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:What I had was a project with an EMPTY Audio folder. The audio was in another project in the same root folder but I couldn't say how I created it and it may be operator error on my part. WHAT IF!
You? Operator error? Noooo! What's this world coming to?
frankf

Post by frankf »

I've been follow this thread but did not have a chance to test until today. I'm running 10.9.5 and DP 8.07 as of a few days ago. When I first open a template, New or others, the DP save as dialogue pops up with Documents as the location. But if I choose my Project Drive as Location it sticks for subsequent saves when using a template. Project folders and sub folders are created normally. Maybe the intermittent problem is due to the fact that the save location isn't retained and returns to Documents or someplace else. Then you'd have the DP document in one or more locations but the audio files in the original single location. This could happen with operator error also. It has for me. I join MLC in that dog house.

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB