Terrible VI Latency With Old DP Project

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Terrible VI Latency With Old DP Project

Post by Babz »

This is the first time I've had to open an old project in a long time.

I opened a project originally started in DP 5 in DP 8.07.

When I add a VI, I get terrible latency, even with a super low buffer setting -- basically the same regardless of buffer setting.

VIs work fine in new projects started in DP 8. No latency issues.

Anybody ever encounter this? Is there some preference setting or something that changed from DP 5 to 8.07 that would be causing this?

What is the fix? :?: :?: :?:

Thanx,
Babz
Babz

Re: Terrible VI Latency With Old DP Project

Post by Babz »

Update: I tried creating a new blank project and importing the old sequence using the Load function, and that STILL doesn't fix the problem. It appears that the latency travels with the chunk, even when imported into a new sequence.

Most puzzling, indeed....

Babz
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

I had all sorts of weird problems with DP 5 projects in 7 and 8. All had been started on another Mac or two.

I have no idea if this will work but it did for me: Run Get Info on your project folder. If your user account is not listed under Sharing and Permissions, add it. Change privileges to Read and Write for all users. Select Apply to enclosed items in the drop-down menu.

It won't hurt anything and, if it fixes you up, you're good to go.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Are there plugins involved?

If you create a new mix with no plugins (duplicate the original mix, first and name it, then create a new, empty mix), then you might see a difference.

Somewhere along the line, DP started saving current conditions (faders, knobs, etc.) in the mix even without a mix being created, so it's remotely possible that the fact that THOSE chunks were created BEFORE that era might have something to do with it, and maybe you just need to create a new mix.

But I'm honestly shooting blanks in the dark here.

I hope you figure it out, and if you do, I hope you'll post it here.

Oh... one more thing; do you have any external synths involved? and you've checked to see if Auto Plugin Delay Compensation is turned on?

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Babz

Post by Babz »

Solution Found! UAD Precision Multiband plugin.

This project consists of a single stereo track that I transferred from DAT to DP 6 years ago. I opened it up in DP 8 to do some remastering. I added DP's new Dynamic Equalizer (which has been amazing, BTW, allowing me to fix things that would have been impossible back in the 80s when the track was originally recorded and mixed down).

However, I also added the UAD Precision Multiband compressor to the Master Fader, but ended up not using it. I left it inserted on the Master Fader channel but disabled/bypassed, and basically forgot it was even there.

So, thank you Shooshie! Your comment shifted my focus to plugins (and away from the fact that it was originally an older DP project), which led me to the solution! :)

Deleting the UAD plugin from the project got rid of the latency that it was causing for virtual instruments. Having it bypassed was not enough. It had to be removed from the project.

Now, I need to think through what exactly is going on here. Must have something to do with lookahead or delay compensation or something. Both the MOTU Dynamic EQ and UAD Precision Multiband do similar things, and both were inserted on the Master Fader, and yet the UAD plugin created this problem. Why? And why is it affecting VI latency, a separate track, with buffer-related real time throughput.

Would like to have a better understanding of exactly what is going on. The UAD plugin could still be useful on this remastering project. But I need to figure out what is going on before I attempt to use it again.

Best,
Babz

P.S. I think this occasion calls for an updated avatar!
"Can see a thing till I open my eyes!" -- Nazz
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Babz wrote:Now, I need to think through what exactly is going on here. Must have something to do with lookahead or delay compensation or something. Both the MOTU Dynamic EQ and UAD Precision Multiband do similar things, and both were inserted on the Master Fader, and yet the UAD plugin created this problem. Why? And why is it affecting VI latency, a separate track, with buffer-related real time throughput.
Look-ahead processors usually have a fixed delay for that feature: looking ahead. Different developers set that delay for different times. Some of Waves' Multiband processors are set for 80 ms. I don't know what MOTU's are set for.
Babz wrote:P.S. I think this occasion calls for an updated avatar!
Ha! I was admiring that very other-worldly avatar! Should be able to see a lot like that. Talk about needing an avatar update, I've used this avatar since June of 2000, not just in this forum, but every place I've been a member where they use avatars.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Babz wrote:Now, I need to think through what exactly is going on here. Must have something to do with lookahead or delay compensation or something. Both the MOTU Dynamic EQ and UAD Precision Multiband do similar things, and both were inserted on the Master Fader, and yet the UAD plugin created this problem. Why? And why is it affecting VI latency, a separate track, with buffer-related real time throughput.
My recollection from when I used a lot of UAD plugins is that several of them, intended for mastering, don't report latency to the plugin host.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Babz

Post by Babz »

The MOTU Dynamic EQ plugin has adjustable Lookahead. I just left it at the default value. The UAD Precision Multiband plugin doesn't appear to have a lookahead setting, so it must be fixed. Odd thing is, this project also has the UAD Precision Limiter (also part of their mastering suite) instantiated, but it doesn't cause any problems.

I guess, if I want to use the Precision Multiband, I can't use it and VIs at the same time. Normally I wouldn't be breaking out VIs in a mastering session, but this is my own session from years ago, and I felt it needed some more padding and perc parts to fill out a few passages.

It's just odd how it affects other tracks -- not even tracks, but realtime buffer throughput, just playing live. Maybe I need to look at prerendering settings or something?

Babz
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Babz wrote:The MOTU Dynamic EQ plugin has adjustable Lookahead. I just left it at the default value. The UAD Precision Multiband plugin doesn't appear to have a lookahead setting, so it must be fixed. Odd thing is, this project also has the UAD Precision Limiter (also part of their mastering suite) instantiated, but it doesn't cause any problems.

I guess, if I want to use the Precision Multiband, I can't use it and VIs at the same time. Normally I wouldn't be breaking out VIs in a mastering session, but this is my own session from years ago, and I felt it needed some more padding and perc parts to fill out a few passages.

It's just odd how it affects other tracks -- not even tracks, but realtime buffer throughput, just playing live. Maybe I need to look at prerendering settings or something?

Babz
Why not just create a blank mix? I switch to the blank mix for recording, then switch back for listening or mixing.

Shoosh
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Shooshie wrote:
Babz wrote:P.S. I think this occasion calls for an updated avatar!
Ha! I was admiring that very other-worldly avatar! Should be able to see a lot like that. Talk about needing an avatar update, I've used this avatar since June of 2000, not just in this forum, but every place I've been a member where they use avatars.Shoosh
nooo..... the multi-eye thing from Babz and Michael Canavan scare me and give me nightmares. (I scare easily.)

Stay with Kokopelli, but maybe consider different versions.

'My eyes, my eyes, the goggles, they do nothing!'
-Radioactive Man
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

BKK-OZ wrote:
Shooshie wrote:Talk about needing an avatar update, I've used this avatar since June of 2000, not just in this forum, but every place I've been a member where they use avatars.Shoosh
nooo..... the multi-eye thing from Babz and Michael Canavan scare me and give me nightmares. (I scare easily.)

Stay with Kokopelli, but maybe consider different versions.
Don't worry; I've always been and always will be the kokopelli! Just maybe it's time for a different one. I'll think about it for a year or two, then decide. ;)

Shoosh
Babz

Post by Babz »

OK, no nightmares, then?

Babz
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

:) :) :)
I will sleep easy tonight!

Now if Michael Canavan would do something about that dog of his, I could come to the 'nation without any fear.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Ah, but then there's that guy with the bloody arms typing at his computer until they fall off, and he starts hitting it with his head, and it's a bloody mess. Talk about nightmares! I literally scroll his posts off the screen in order to read other posts. If he has anything to say, I never see it. Not sure why people feel the need to shock-&-awe their forum-mates with their gory, gruesome avatars.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Shooshie wrote:Ah, but then there's that guy with the bloody arms typing at his computer until they fall off, and he starts hitting it with his head, and it's a bloody mess.
Use the two finger unpinch to zoom his avatar off the screen.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8