DP and Mission Control

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Dan Worley
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP and Mission Control

Post by Dan Worley »

I have 16 desktops -- eight on Display 1 and eight on Display 2. I have DP windows on numerous desktops on either of the two displays. The TO is always on Desktop 1.

Here's the problem: Let's say I go to Firefox on Desktop 7. When I Command-Tab back to DP, it will not automatically switch to Desktop 1 and bring up the TO. I have to do it manually with Control-1 or Shift-T or some other method.

I remember this working correctly, and sometimes now it does work, but it's extremely rare when it does and I'm not sure what I did to make it work, and then it will stop working again very quickly and I can't figure out what I did to make it not work, or maybe I have nothing to do with it.

Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks!
DP10.13
Shooshie

Re: DP and Mission Control

Post by Shooshie »

Have you experimented with that line which says "switch to a Space with open windows?"

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Yes, that has been on the whole time.

Thanks.
DP10.13
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Dan Worley wrote:Yes, that has been on the whole time.

Thanks.
Just so I'm clear, did turning it off fix anything?
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Shooshie wrote:
Dan Worley wrote:Yes, that has been on the whole time.

Thanks.
Just so I'm clear, did turning it off fix anything?
Oh, sorry. Turning it off makes things much worse for DP and my other apps.

I've been testing it more, and it seems that whenever I add one of DP's windows to my secondary display, that's what keeps the desktop on my first display from switching automatically. I have DP set to Desktop on Display 1, but I think that option is just telling MC where to open the app when it first launches. Not sure.

Thanks!
DP10.13
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

So I figured out its modus operandi.

Whenever I have a DP window visible on the secondary display, and I switch to DP from an app that's on a different desktop than what DP is on in main display, then DP (or Mission Control, I honestly don't know which one is causing this) will not bring up the last used DP window on the main display because a DP window is already visible so why should it have to. As soon as I make the DP window on the secondary display not visible (by switching to a different desktop on the secondary display), then everything works as it should.

I'll see if this makes sense in the morning. lol
DP10.13
profdraper

Post by profdraper »

Not sure if this is what you want, but DP has also been driving me nuts with two screens and the way it boots into a new space [that's both on OS X 10.9.5 and 10.10b5]. This is what works for me:

1) In System Preferences /Mission Control: uncheck 'Displays have separate Spaces', and
2) Hold-click DP dock icon /Options /assign to 'none'.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Something Extra:

Why use Mission Control instead of Window Sets?
• Mission Control is shifting between desktops. Anything can be on the desktops, in any way you want to arrange it at that moment. Whatever you put there, remains there.
• Window Sets are pre-defined setups for windows. Any time you invoke a window set, you're going to get the exact same windows in the exact same places, without the changes you've made to the layout for this particular circumstance. It resets everything.

I'm always changing my arrangements in any desktop as I work. Say I'm in the Mixing Board. I'll open a couple of meters and follow a track, maybe automating an EQ or something. I've got the EQ open, the Meters open, and the Mixing Board open. The Mixer is open to all channels, but you've closed all but one V-Rack. The plugin windows are arranged around it as best allows viewing for the situation. Now, I decide to go to another full-screen arrangement in the MIDI Editors desktop. I'll have three or four MIDI Editor windows in there, one-each from 4 chunks, with the active one on top. Maybe I'll look at the 2nd chunk's MIDI Editor and compare it tosd the 4th chunk's MIDI Editor. Maybe I'm comparing tracks, or instruments... it doesn't matter.

Meanwhile, in the Tracks Overview (Consolidated Windows), I've got sidebars with changing windows. Maybe I've got Groups open, or Track Inspector, but on the right side I have the Legend and the Selection Windows open. Now I add the MOTU meters below the Tracks Overview.

SO, you see... each desktop is starting to get very customized as I work.

I can go between these desktops without changing a thing. Double click on a MIDI bar in the TO window, and... zip... I'm in the 3rd Desktop where I keep my MIDI editors, and it's still set up with the comparison of the windows, and I'm looking at the selected bar, with all my tracks still showing as I left them.

Switch to a plugin desktop, and that's going to be VERY customized from chunk to chunk, but they all remain open and in the positions where you left them. Because you're switching between virtual monitors, essentially, you're not specifying preset window arrangements. You're switching between where you left your workflow last, which is where you'll pick up when you get back to it.

You see? You cannot possibly have enough window sets to cover this. And if you did, you'd never remember them all. This allows you to WORK. This lets you mess around with what you've got. When you come back to it, it's exactly as you left it. Window Sets are not like that. They are rigid. This is flexible, yet it stays put.

If you try it for a while, you'll see that this is the main reason why this experience cannot be duplicated any other way, except possibly buying 16 monitors. But where would you put them all? No, this is truly the best of worlds, at least MIDI worlds.

Shooshie
frankf

Post by frankf »

Sorry to join the fray again,. I like to see all the windows I'm working with in front of me or partially visible so I can click to bring it to the front. Window sets does this for me. With Spaces, I have to constantly switch, I don't get the group of windows in front of me (on 2 monitors) that I need to get work done.
Shooshie makes a good argument for his workflow, it just doesn't do it for me. I say it's great that with DP, we have a choice. Try both and see what suits you.

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

frankf wrote:Sorry to join the fray again,. I like to see all the windows I'm working with in front of me or partially visible so I can click to bring it to the front. Window sets does this for me. With Spaces, I have to constantly switch, I don't get the group of windows in front of me (on 2 monitors) that I need to get work done.
Shooshie makes a good argument for his workflow, it just doesn't do it for me. I say it's great that with DP, we have a choice. Try both and see what suits you.

Frank Ferrucci
This isn't so much X vs. Y, Frank, but how X can be used to even further enhance Y. My windows are not rigidly placed in a space. If I want any two windows together, I grab it, switch spaces, and voilá, there they are. Or merely invoke the key command for that window, which will fetch it to me. Then when I've arranged those windows in the screen, I can still go elsewhere without messing up my arrangement, and come back to it without having to touch a thing to have it where I left it.

I still use Window Sets for a few basic setups. But Spaces offers something entirely different: it brings back whatever you left in whatever condition you left it in. It's about morphing over time. You don't get to bring back those things with window sets. You can always re-arrange the windows you are using in any space, or move them from space to space to be with other windows. That's customization, and that happens in all projects as you need things for which you don't have a set. For me, that's 90% of the time, because if I did try to save every possible scenario I come up with, I'd have a thousand window sets. Sometimes I have MIDI Editors in the CW with the Tracks Overview. Or I'll put the SE and ME together. There's nothing you can't do in Spaces, yet you can just switch it out of your way and have the next "scene" in front of you, then still go back to the previous one.

And Window Sets still work. But as you morph them into something else, you can move elements of any set to another space, and move them in and out of position as desired.

Spaces allowed me to dump 90% of my window sets, but those which remain are still very useful. They just can't do what Mission Control can do.

Shoosh