Question regarding the click track

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
yorgos st.
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Question regarding the click track

Post by yorgos st. »

Hello, i use DP8 for some months now, even though this is my first post in this forum.

So, i need some help with the metronome :)

I want to capture the information of the click track (tempo, key change etc.) into MIDI information. So far i have succeeded to route the click into an instrument track, using module12 and then into the master tack. The problem is that even though i have the MIDI track rec enabled and i can hear the sound coming from the module12, i can not capture the click information into the MIDI track.

Any help will be much appreciated!
Thanks a lot :)
rockitcity

Re: Question regarding the click track

Post by rockitcity »

I'll take a guess at this one...

So you want the click to be MIDI? It basically already is. If you have programmed the tempo changes, meter, etc. into the conductor track and can play it out to module 12 (? I don't use this, but I guess it's a MOTU instrument), then you can just as easily play this out another hardware or software instrument. This should be available in the click track setup menu. If you want the click as AUDIO, then you will have to route the module 12 output to an audio track and record it.

If you need to give the conductor track info to someone else, then just export MIDI and it should be included.

Maybe that helps?
Mac Mini Quad i7 2.6 Ghz, 16 G RAM, 2 SSD's. Motu 896 HD Hybrid, 8pre, Fastlane USB, Presonus Faderport, vintage guitars!
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

It sounds like what you want is to actually record MIDI data that corresponds to the metronome.

The easiest and quickest way to do this is:

1. Play the metronome pattern on a MIDI keyboard for at least one measure. Adjust velocities to taste, quantize to the appropriate grid.

2. Copy the data for as many measures as required.

3. Repeat for any meter changes.

Seriously, I've done this and it takes a couple of minutes, maximum.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

This does bring up that question of how to route (i/o) MIDI data within DP. If you bring up the click preferences can you assign a destination for the MIDI click such that a MIDI track can receive that destination as it's input? I see the potential problems, but it does seem like it could be useful.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

stubbsonic wrote:This does bring up that question of how to route (i/o) MIDI data within DP. If you bring up the click preferences can you assign a destination for the MIDI click such that a MIDI track can receive that destination as it's input? I see the potential problems, but it does seem like it could be useful.
I recall an earlier thread where someone found by trial and error, that if you route MIDI to an IAC bus (which you can do in the Click Preferences) you can pick up that MIDI data off the IAC bus on MIDI track. It made no sense to me at first because I didn't think the IAC bus would loop within DP, and I don't remember the context, but maybe worth trying. If you route the MIDI click to the IAC bus, and have a MIDI channel in Record mode that is linked to a VI, the click will play on that VI. Not sure how to get it to record the MIDI date making the click, but it's in there somewhere. Maybe has to be in MultiRecord so the MIDI click can be routed as a MIDI source to a specific MIDI track.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8