Side-chain compression without the Dynamics plugin?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
dix
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Side-chain compression without the Dynamics plugin?

Post by dix »

Is side-chain compression only available with DP's Dynamics plugin? Is there a way to get third party plugins to accept side-chain inputs? ...Specifically, UAD plugins and/or Waves L3. If not those, are there other third party compressors that would work for this?

Thanks!
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
Shooshie

Re: Side-chain compression without the Dynamics plugin?

Post by Shooshie »

dix wrote:Is side-chain compression only available with DP's Dynamics plugin? Is there a way to get third party plugins to accept side-chain inputs? ...Specifically, UAD plugins and/or Waves L3. If not those, are there other third party compressors that would work for this?

Thanks!

15 years ago, when I was learning Waves plugins, side chaining was done with the 2nd channel of a stereo pair. You chose which channel would be the side chain, and I think that meant you had to process a full stereo pair with 4 channels, two plugin instances. (Since both channels of a stereo pair were likely to be controlled by a single channel of side-chaining, I'm not sure that's a valid assumption, and I don't remember what Waves said about it) It was a complicated arrangement, but it got around the fact that side-chaining presented some kind of unholy problem in plugins. This was Waves arrangement, not MOTU's. They did this for all their side-chaining plugins for all platforms. I guess if anything it provided consistency while getting around the variety of workarounds that different platforms might offer. Obviously MOTU offered a side-chaining method, because their own Dynamics plugin did it. You just chose the bus and there it was. Why Waves couldn't also adopt such an easy method is beyond me.

Things change. Now, I think some of their plugins side chain by choosing a bus. I'll have to read up on it, but I think that's what I remember from the H-EQ. I remember not getting very far when I set out to do it, but I don't remember if it was because of lack of time or complications.

Anyway, putting my reply in a nutshell, side-chaining is unavoidably a plugin-by-plugin affair, and apparently it's not within the capacity of any DAW to enable side-chaining for all plugins that want it. It's not necessarily difficult to do it, but you have to read the manual for each plugin. It's not DP's call.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
dix

Post by dix »

side-chaining is unavoidably a plugin-by-plugin affair, and apparently it's not within the capacity of any DAW to enable side-chaining for all plugins that want it. It's not necessarily difficult to do it, but you have to read the manual for each plugin. It's not DP's call.
This basically answers my question. I was thinking there may have been a bussing scheme I hadn't thought of.

My goal is to make individual stems retain the dynamics of the full mix. Sending off stems that are processed separately sound different than all of them hitting the compressor at the same time, sometimes dramatically so. Looks like there are a few compressor plugins out there that allow sidechain (FabFilter Pro-C is one), but ideally I'd like to apply my preferred master-buss chain (UAD Fairchild 670>Slate VTM>WavesL3) to the stems. Is there another (in-the-box) way to achieve this effect or are we not there yet?

Thanks!
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

dix wrote:Is there another (in-the-box) way to achieve this effect ...
I can't think of one. Side-chaining is the only way it seems possible to me, but like you say, your processors of choice don't have it available.

If you know you're going to deliver stems and you want it to be dead on accurate, maybe the best thing to do is to mix and process with stems. ???

Very interesting observation. I never thought about it before.
DP10.13
dix

Post by dix »

Yes, seems like with so many people using DP for filmscore that this issue would come up more often. As it is, if I want the final to sound like the two track mix, with the dynamics, saturation, pumping etc. I need to send the stems without bus compression and communicate to the rerecording mixer the intention and hope they have the plugins, the brains and the ears to recreate the sound of the mix.

Guess I'll make the suggestion to MOTU. Seems like if Dynamics can do it others could too.
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Waves Renaissance Comp allows for side chain. And if you're into Dynamic EQing, Waves C6 has a side chain variant, and is probably the closest thing you'll find to L3 in a compressor. R Comp is incredibly versatile, it can sound like a smooth digital or an optical oppressor (ala LA-3A).
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
dix

Post by dix »

Thanks. I'll check them out. I own the Ren plugins, but never upgraded. I'm probably eligible for an upgrade path. ...I'm wondering if there might be a Bidule solution too. Though I can't imagine what it'd be.

[I just realized I meant this to be in "Usage, Techniques, Tips & Optimization". James or Shooshie, please feel free to move it. It might get more attention.]
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

I doubt there's a Bidule solution involving normal plugins. You have to build a side chain into the plugin to be able to use it like that. Unless you can separate the signal path, if it's the kind that always compresses the detector signal, than there's NOTHING you can do. There's a few oddball stereo plugs where you can send a mono signal in and have it effect the second channel, but you have to do some crazy routing, use a few busses, and it's no better than the worst side chain comps.

Just try getting your head around doing it in an audio editor (Premiere, FCP), which don't typically have any kind of busses at all... you can just submix to particular channels. There ARE crazy workarounds to be able to duck, but they're... crazy.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy