Playback dashes

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
themagichoof
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Playback dashes

Post by themagichoof »

I'm using an oldschool Digital Performer on OS9. I looked around and in later versions of DP you can choose whether to display dashes for the last division of the counter, like frames or ticks. Dashes seem to be on permanently in DP2.72 and I can't find the setting anywhere. I looked all over my hard copy manuals and didn't see anything. They display fine when I click Stop or when I'm scrubbing though.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Playback dashes

Post by mikehalloran »

My first version was 2.x and I did a few projects on it that still open in DP 8. A few months later I was sent 3 as a no charge upgrade because of my purchase date.

All I remember about 2.72 was that there were updates to the wiper and display with DP 3.x. At some point, I tossed everything before 4.61, a particularly nice version of DP.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Did V 2.7 have the little drop down menu arrow to the right side of the counter? That's where the option has been as long as I remember.

(Strange but true: I was looking for a DP 2.7 screen shot and found a training CD still available here: http://www.discoveryvip.com/training/Di ... 27_118.php. Only $99. That that Groove3!)
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
themagichoof

Post by themagichoof »

There is no dropdown there, it's only a button to change the format of the time you're seeing. I figured there's a setting elsewhere in the program. I just went through the entire interface and every single option in all the menus and I'm not finding it.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I don't remember dashes being an option in DP 2.x. It's unlikely that I missed that, but of course it's possible.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
themagichoof

Post by themagichoof »

I looked everywhere. Can't find the setting anywhere.

http://www.vtc.com/products/Digital-Per ... orials.htm

Same thing in these tutorials. I guess this is just how DP2.7 is.
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

themagichoof wrote:I guess this is just how DP2.7 is.
I'm not sure (too long ago), but I believe you're right, that's just the way it was back then -- no ticks showing during playback, just dashes. Most likely to keep the load down.

I think that's why MOTU offered us playback dashes in newer versions of DP, because many of us were so used to just seeing that.

I would try one thing out of desperation, try Option-clicking on the dashes. I doubt anything will happen, but it won't hurt to try. I do remember there being a few things we could Option click on.

Very interesting to see the old version running. Brings back some great memories, but nothing useful. :wink:
DP10.13
themagichoof

Post by themagichoof »

I tried every CMD+OPT+CNTRL combo imaginable on it. No go. I guess I'll just live with it, it's not too bad anyway.