notes sticking after upgrade [RESOLVED]

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
henrod
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

notes sticking after upgrade [RESOLVED]

Post by henrod »

I've been using DP7 on a 13" MBP for years with no problems. I just bought a retina 15" and upgraded to DP8. I did a complete system migration, then installed DP8 from the 8.07 download on motu.com.

I have a file with 250+ chunks I use for a solo gig. Each chunk is a complete song. Notes are now sticking where they never did before. It sounds like there's a sustain pedal being held down - but not always and not on every track. Ugh.

I moved the MOTU folder from HD->Library->Application support->MOTU and reinstalled 8.07. Same problem.

I submitted a tech support request, but today is Saturday.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
2014 MacBook Pro 15" Retina (10.15.7, 16GB, 500GB SSD), DP 10.13, Ultralite Mk3 (FW), MidiExpress 128, Roland XV5050, Kurzweil MicroPiano, Kurzweil SP6-7, TC Helicon Quintet, Fender American Stratocaster (2000), Martin DCPA4.
wvandyck

Re: notes sticking after upgrade

Post by wvandyck »

Any issues with new projects?

Repaired permissions after install?

Did you use Migration Assistant?
Lots of reported issues using this method.
Best to clean install everything, then manually move documents, projects etc to their respective locations.

It's good to keep on hand:
-a text file of authorizations, sn#, locations of where stuff is stored (Library>Application Support, Audio, Preferences etc)
-installer discs, installers saved to hd,
2017 2.9 GHz MPB/1TB ssd; loaded 2012 i7 quadcore Mini, OS 10.15.5
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Here is a list of a baker's half-dozen things you might try to make sure DP is running properly, from most urgent to most difficult:
  • 1) Be sure your drivers are up to date. Download the latest from MOTU
    2) Be sure plugins are up to date and that they are designed for 64 bits (or get and use a bridging app)
    3) Be sure your virtual instruments are up to date.
    4) Throw out your preferences: User Folder/Library/Preferences/Digital Performer (to find the Library folder, go to the Finder/GO menu, and hold down the Option key. Library will appear in the list.
    5) Reinstall DP8.07
    6) Be sure you're using the latest Mac version of OS X.
    7) Reinstall OS X. Use a clean install, then add your apps and registrations one by one if you want the absolute best user experience. This is the HARDEST way to install it, but it produces the cleanest installation you can have. Be sure each app and registration is updated for this OS. You can copy over your old Mail folders (UserFolder/Library/Mail), but try to use as little as possible from the old OS.
If you throw out your preferences, think back on whether you've saved any custom keyboard bindings for your commands in the Commands Window. If so, drag the keyboard bindings preference file to your desktop before throwing out the rest. If there are any other highly customized prefs files, you may want to do the same with them. Restore them after the next time you open DP. Opening DP creates a new set of preference files. You'll want to drag the custom prefs files back into that folder after it's been recreated, and replace the file that was recreated. The alternative is to remember all your customizations and go back and add them. You have to do a certain amount of that, anyway, when you toss your preferences.

I hope that at least one of those suggestions holds the answer for your problem. Good luck! DP shouldn't be giving you any trouble. The latest versions have been working great here.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
henrod

Post by henrod »

And the official answer from MOTU:

We've found this can happen on certain interfaces connecting to USB3.0 on newer macs. The best way to resolve this is to connect the MIDI interface first to a powered USB2.0 hub, then to your computer.
2014 MacBook Pro 15" Retina (10.15.7, 16GB, 500GB SSD), DP 10.13, Ultralite Mk3 (FW), MidiExpress 128, Roland XV5050, Kurzweil MicroPiano, Kurzweil SP6-7, TC Helicon Quintet, Fender American Stratocaster (2000), Martin DCPA4.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

henrod wrote:And the official answer from MOTU:

We've found this can happen on certain interfaces connecting to USB3.0 on newer macs. The best way to resolve this is to connect the MIDI interface first to a powered USB2.0 hub, then to your computer.
Yup!
It happened to me too. But the second I connected it to a USB2.0 hub, the problem went away right away, never to return.

Glad you found your answer.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
henrod

Post by henrod »

Thanks for that!! I'm holding my breath until my hub arrives from Amazon tomorrow. They did add that Apple is working on this and there may be a fix at some point. I hope so - I don't need another thing to have to plug in on the gig!!

FMiguelez wrote:

Yup!
It happened to me too. But the second I connected it to a USB2.0 hub, the problem went away right away, never to return.

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

. then manually move documents, projects etc to their respective locations
Bad advice!

Migration assistant for your documents is the best way, maintaining all resource forks and eliminating permissions issues on the new machine.

If you are going to move your projects manually, zip (archive) your DP projects on the old machine first.

I just spent a week doing a clean reinstall on my 2010 iMac. Without tossing any work product (documents, files, installers etc.), my hard drive is about 100G lighter. I used Migration Assistant from Time Machine which brought over all my files and 64bit compatible Apple apps. Then I did a clean install of the third party apps I still use. I was amazed by how much space old, incompatible apps and their hidden files were taking up on my drive. Some of that was installed on my Mac+ and Performa.
I still have to go through work product as I have at least 50G of backups, duplicate folders etc.

At the same time, I'm putting the ancient history on my 1G twin processor G4 which I have partioned into an OS 10.5 sector and another for 10.4.11 / 9.2.2 plus it's own Time Machine. Someone just gave it to me so I'm upgrading from an older G4 that can't run OS 10.5. We have old programs with our children's voices that only run in OS 9 plus there are some MacWrite and AppleWorks and ancient Encore documents still to be converted.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
henrod

Post by henrod »

I connected the powered USB hub and it worked immediately. Phew. Thanks again.

henrod wrote:Thanks for that!! I'm holding my breath until my hub arrives from Amazon tomorrow. They did add that Apple is working on this and there may be a fix at some point. I hope so - I don't need another thing to have to plug in on the gig!!

FMiguelez wrote:

Yup!

FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

That's great news, henrod! 8)

If this fixed your issue, please edit the title of the thread (in your first post) by adding {RESOLVED}, so others can see how to fix it.

Now all that is left to do is to go and make some great music!
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Shooshie

Re: notes sticking after upgrade [RESOLVED]

Post by Shooshie »

I should have thought of that! I have a few USB devices that have to be on a powered hub, but I just forgot all about it. That's one of those "set and forget" things, and with my hubs under the table and out of sight, I'd truly forgotten about them.

Glad you got it working again.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
henrod

Post by henrod »

Looks like someone already did it for me...

Thanks, all.
FMiguelez wrote:That's great news, henrod! 8)

If this fixed your issue, please edit the title of the thread (in your first post) by adding {RESOLVED}, so others can see how to fix it.

Now all that is left to do is to go and make some great music!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: notes sticking after upgrade [RESOLVED]

Post by James Steele »

That was me. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!