Project File - Loud Click, no Sound

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Todzilla
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Project File - Loud Click, no Sound

Post by Todzilla »

So, a project file I have been working on (mix of VIs and audio, nothing too taxing) turned evil.

When I open it, the project loads, there's a loud click or two and then it looks like it loads normally. I play the project and nothing plays. No meters bounce, no sound. I have made sure all the tracks are enabled, bussed properly, interface is set up properly, sample rate good, etc...

But demons have infested it. Next step is to make a copy of it and start going backward through undo history to see if there's a point in recent history where it went bad.

Any other things I should try?
-Todzilla
Huge sound generation & capture facilities
On the banks of the River Eno
DP 8!!!, OSX 10.7.3, 15" MacBook Pro w 16G RAM 256G SSD & 630GHD, MOTU 896HD, MX4, Komplete 8, Apogee Symphony I/O, Neumann U-89, pair of Peluso P12s, Seventh Circle & Demeter preamps, Lava lamp, stuffed frog playing bongos
taka
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Project File - Loud Click, no Sound

Post by taka »

Hi--
This happened to me on some project files. Always the cult pit was/were a plug-in/a combination of certain ply-ins. Unfortunately I don't remember which one, but I think the best bet is to remove all plug-ins and re-adding them one-by-one to see which one is causing the problem..

Also, in my case, this problem happened in some buffer size settings but not in other buffer size (generally larger buffer size had positive effect on the problem) so it's something that you could also experiment on..

Hope this helps, Taka
DP11.3, OS 13.6.3, Mac Mini 2018 6 core 3.2GHz i7 32GB RAM
Slate, Waves, Soundtoys, GRM Tools, Audio Ease etc etc..
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Reinstate all virtual instruments. You might be able to figure out which one is causing the problem by disabling them in the mixing board, using the menu at the bottom of each channel. Disable them one at a time and see if it still happens.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Todzilla

Post by Todzilla »

Thanks oodles, guys. I will try that.

I'm a little worried, in that all my plugs are MOTU and Native Instruments, about as mainstream as you can get.

Oh yeah, a couple free ones, like Molot.
-Todzilla
DP 8!!!, OSX 10.7.3, 15" MacBook Pro w 16G RAM 256G SSD & 630GHD, MOTU 896HD, MX4, Komplete 8, Apogee Symphony I/O, Neumann U-89, pair of Peluso P12s, Seventh Circle & Demeter preamps, Lava lamp, stuffed frog playing bongos
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

When my VI's have gone south in a file, and have needed reinstating, they have always been Native Instruments, usually in Kontakt. It's been years since that has happened, because I quit using Kontakt for that reason. Not that I think anyone else should. I'm just saying, it can happen.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Todzilla

Post by Todzilla »

Of course, when I go in to try to find the culprit VI, everything works like a champ.

:oops:
-Todzilla
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Ha! Then it's probably not a real corruption problem. It may have just loaded wrong or something. The kind of problems I'm talking about are weird noises that it just starts making during playback, with no real definite location or conditions to the noises. When I realized that I couldn't even pinpoint a location for it, I knew I had to just start over for that instrument, and that always worked. That was years ago, however, and I think Panther was the OS at the time.

Shoosh
billf

Post by billf »

I had this type of problem last week, and the cause was an NI VI. Reinstating it fixed it for me.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

billf wrote:I had this type of problem last week, and the cause was an NI VI. Reinstating it fixed it for me.
Good old NI. Keeping up the good fight against smooth-running systems. Well, that's why I quit using Kontakt. Nevertheless, I bought the full version and installed it in the past year. I haven't used it, but I have it in case I ever really need to.

Shoosh