attacking the problem of VI's playing behind the beat?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: attacking the problem of VI's playing behind the beat?

Post by Shooshie »

David Polich wrote:As a LONGtime programmer/sound designer who has worked for Yamaha, Korg, Roland, Dave Smith, Native, and Steinberg, I can tell you you are wasting your time looking for clues in the attack portions of raw samples.
While all that you said about strings is true, it's not necessarily true that the above is a waste of time. I've found string samples that literally were much more delayed on certain notes than on others. That's the fault of the person recording the samples. After 10,000 takes, working late on an empty stomach, he accepted some samples he should have done over. Or the person chopping them up and loading them into their proprietary software perhaps allowed a few milliseconds before the first transient. Whatever happened, the result was that some notes were slow-starters.

I see none of that in VSL's Dimension Strings, which is really an amazing string library. But in old libraries from Garritan, MOTU, Kontakt, and such, there were occasional inconsistencies. And some libraries whose names I forget just had a whole different feel in the attacks, as if someone had a completely different philosophy about how string samples should work.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
dosuna11

Post by dosuna11 »

buzzsmith wrote: advance parts. (By ear, not by "eye".)Buzzy
+1
iMac 2.7Ghz quadcore i5 16 gig RAM DP 7.24 OS 10.6.8, iMac G5 2.1GHz 2.5 gig Ram DP 5.13 OS 10.4.11 MOTU 828 MK2, East West Platinum Plus, Miroslav Philharmonic, Komplete 5, Kontakt 2 Garritan Big Band, Mr Sax T, The Trumpet, DrumCore, Trilogy and Trillian, Ivory, MachFive, Ethno Instrument, Reason 4, SampleTank 2 Sampletron, Samplemoog, Melodyne Editor, Nomad plugins, Vintage Warmer, Ozone 4, Amplitube Jimi, Xgear and AmpegSVX.
http:www.davidosuna.com
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

buzzsmith wrote:
Albion, too, especially doing ostinatos. Guaranteed to be be way behind the beat.
hey Buzzy, FWIW Spitfire released Albion 5.2.1 today and one of the tweaks that they mentioned is "Tweaked start offset in String Hi Ostinatum shorts to fix timing". Might help?
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Merci...

I'll download later.

Buzzy
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

David Polich

Post by David Polich »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:David, once the bow is in motion and the player changes the string length by fingering, there is no discernible delay. The string is already in motion at that point and doesn't need to "restart" the process.
Yes, of course…I think the OP was talking about attacks anyway.

To Shooshie - totally agree about the attacks of some samples being late in older string libraries. Technically, that would be the fault of whoever edited the data. And it's
not just string libraries where I've found this to be a problem. I've encountered it with drum sample libraries, guitar VI's, sampled electric and acoustic pianos, sampled horns too.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com