Copy selection to new sequence does not copy the audio track

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
emjayinla
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Copy selection to new sequence does not copy the audio track

Post by emjayinla »

I'm working on a film project with a QT movie. I've imported the audio from the movie into an audio track in my main sequence and I've added some eq & compression to keep the dialog clear. (I selected use the same movie for all sequences.) I've created a series of markers in my main sequence for the ins and outs of the individual cues. I highlight the in and out markers in the marker window, use the copy selection to new sequence and create new sequences for each cue. All this works fine and each new sequence has a measure 1 at the correct time code.

What I can't figure out is how I get the audio track and MIDI tracks to come along with the new sequence. I've followed the steps posted in a couple of threads but I'm at a loss.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Copy selection to new sequence does not copy the audio t

Post by FMiguelez »

If I understand correctly, you want to copy tracks from sequence A (chunk A, your "main" original sequence) to some of the other sequences you created later, correct?

If so, you can use Clippings for this.

If you've never created one, you must do so first (a one-time thing only). Go to Project>Clippings, and select either, a global or a local clipping. Once you create and name it, do a Time Range selection spanning in the time line all you need for all the tracks you want to copy to the other chunks (you can even include the conductor track in here).
Then, select go to Edit>Copy to Clipping Window and select the clipping you just created (or one that you had created before). Afterwards, open the Chunks window (Shift-c) and double click the target sequence, so its Track Overview window is opened. Then drag the clipping to the left part of the target TO window. With this, anything you included in the clipping will be copied there.
If you are not sure how to create or use clippings, the manual is pretty informative.

This works if you already created other sequences (chunks) and then you decide later to copy tracks from one sequence to the other.
It sounds more complicated than it is (with practice it would take you a few seconds).

In the future, if you want to keep the same track layout for other sequences, instead of creating them from scratch, simply duplicate the source chunk as many times as you need sequences from the Chunks window mini-menu. There's also an option to only duplicate the track layout. This is much easier to do. There's also an option in the TO window that lets you copy your selection to a new sequence (right above the track names).
These options can be done in a couple of seconds (you wouldn't need to use clippings if you do this).

There are also some more advanced options to deal with copying tracks from one sequence to another when the tracks aren't empty. For instance, see:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... ly#p344458

Hope this helps.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
emjayinla

Post by emjayinla »

Thank you, FMiguelez, for explaining both ways to do this. Very helpful indeed.

One more question - I duplicate the sequence as you suggest, then I select the new sequence, I hit the start location marker for a new cue, then I select Set Chunk Start time.

Is there a way to automatically set the chunk start time to the current location (so I don't have to type it in) and is there a way for the movie audio track to automatically move to the original timestamp?
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I just tested "Copy Selection to New Sequence," and it worked as advertised. It copied exactly the tracks I selected, which were discontiguous (just to make sure that wasn't the problem), and included MIDI, Audio, Aux, Folders and Conductor Track.

I'm using DP 8.07 in OSX 10.9.5. This also worked in all previous versions I've used for the past 10 years, at least.

Another method of doing the same thing is to make your selection in the Tracks Overview Window, then drag the selection into the Chunks Window. You have to grab in the data section of the Tracks, not the list (track names and routing) section. There is one caveat to doing it this way: it will not bring in empty tracks. That means if you want your Aux tracks, you've got to add a little automation. Doing a snapshot of selected tracks will provide you with all the automation you need to include any otherwise-empty tracks in the transfer.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I use that feature all the time and it works perfectly. Be sure everything is actually selected.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
emjayinla

Post by emjayinla »

Thanks - all these suggestions have been very helpful
frankf

Post by frankf »

emjayinla wrote:I'm working on a film project with a QT movie. I've imported the audio from the movie into an audio track in my main sequence and I've added some eq & compression to keep the dialog clear. (I selected use the same movie for all sequences.) I've created a series of markers in my main sequence for the ins and outs of the individual cues. I highlight the in and out markers in the marker window, use the copy selection to new sequence and create new sequences for each cue. All this works fine and each new sequence has a measure 1 at the correct time code.

What I can't figure out is how I get the audio track and MIDI tracks to come along with the new sequence. I've followed the steps posted in a couple of threads but I'm at a loss.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
I use this method on every film project. Make sure ALL the tracks including the conductor track are in the selection and Smart Edit is unchecked in the Edit menu

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB