DP 8.07 crash (solved), Jbridge update and question

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP 8.07 crash (solved), Jbridge update and question

Post by mikehalloran »

This evening when I loaded 8.07 after playing the new U2 album in iTunes, it crashed and wouldn't re-load. OK... haven't seen that in awhile. I re-loaded the Finder and it booted but I noticed that it was hanging on auxhost, an app I remember seeing in the JBridge folder - never saw that before. Was JBridge incompatible with 8.07?

A little investigation showed that I was running JBridge 82d. The latest, Mavericks compatible version turns out to be 89c. Ten minutes later I had it loaded, rebooted and problem solved. Not going to wonder why this wasn't an issue in DP 8.06.

Which leads to my question: Is anyone using the mda plugins successfully in DP 8 64bit? I am betting no but, if anyone is, I'd like to know the secret. The bridged VSTs load and I can hear them but cannot see their GUIs to adjust them. In DP 8 32bit, the VST GUIs don't appear - only those for the AUs.

I know the workaround: Open these projects in DP 7 or 8 32bit and use the AUs.

I also know the solution: Replace those 32bit AUs with 64bit plugs that do the same thing (I can't think of any that are critical; it's just the time involved, ya know?). This is in case Apple drops support for 32bit audio.

I haven't used mda in a new project in years but still... :sorry:
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: DP 8.07 crash (solved), Jbridge update and question

Post by James Steele »

Just curious if you have tried 32 Lives for AU versions of plugs? Last time I checked jBridgeM hadn't been updated in a while and it seemed the developer's focus was on Windows lately.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

James Steele wrote:Just curious if you have tried 32 Lives for AU versions of plugs? Last time I checked jBridgeM hadn't been updated in a while and it seemed the developer's focus was on Windows lately.
JBridge 89c was released in May but is a minor bug and Mavericks fix only. It did fix the weird crash. It's likely that re-booting after closing iTunes would have had the same effect.

The problem with the mda VSTs is not jBridge since the GUI doesn't appear in DP8 32bit which loads 32bit VSTs. Same thing: I can hear them but not see the interfaces. Since mda is freeware and hasn't been updated since 2005, I'm surprised anything about them still works.

I've not tried 32lives or Plogue Bidule. I see no reason why either wouldn't work. Since I have these mda plugs and others in old projects, I'll probably plop down the $100. After all, what's my time worth?
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote:I've not tried 32lives or Plogue Bidule. I see no reason why either wouldn't work. Since I have these mda plugs and others in old projects, I'll probably plop down the $100. After all, what's my time worth?
Good thing is there's a free demo of 32 Lives. I need to update JBridgeM perhaps. I haven't kept up on it as 32 Lives has become pretty good. Only thing it has problems with for me is a rather obscure Flanger by BetaBugs that I really like. jBridgeM handles that better, but I can live without it. :)

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
tommymandel

Post by tommymandel »

I have been pretty dependent on jBridgeM for my SampleTron, AdrenaLinn, Pro-53, and one or two other 32bit-only plug-in instruments. Every once in a while DP 8.06 or 8.07 won't synchronize its boot up that well with auxhost (that Mike H mentioned), or maybe I'll click to reselect the DP app when auxhost is in front and still doing something. . . and I get a crash. I've also seen multiple instantiations of auxhost when I command-Tab thru open apps sometimes. Admittedly this may have something to do with me remaining paleolithic OS-wise (10.6.8.) - I'm on auxhost v.1.0, as well as jBridgerM v.1.0.
Thanks for the tip on 32lives. I may try that, but I really like that Brazilian programmer dude who does jBridge and I'd like to stay loyal.
DP 11.03 12core(5,1): 64GB/10.13.6, two 24i/o's, two 2408mk3's, 4pre, MicroLite-- MBP 2015 16GB/ 2TB 'Blade SSD 10.14.4, Mainstage, Numa C2x, ReMOTE SL -- SupDrmr, 32 Lives, SampleTron,Keyscape,MTronPro,RolCloud,Icarus,Dune,OB-E; Clearmountain Domain,Soundtoys,AdrenaLinnSync, LinnSequencers,Tempest, Montage, JU80, Sledge, Prophet-X, OB-6 V-Synth, s70xs, D-50, TS-10, JD800, Karma, Pa-1x B3, Wurly, Mason Hamlin.
Hardware rig: http://www.tommymandel.com/famous.html/tmrig.html"
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

tommymandel wrote: I may try that, but I really like that Brazilian programmer dude who does jBridge and I'd like to stay loyal.
I hear you. I paid both developers for their apps, so I don't feel disloyal to either. jBridgeM still has an advantage for me with Slate FG-X in that it's reduce processor option actually helps with the CPU hit of FG-X. But I ended up concerned that getting into a "mixed" wrapper environment with both jBridgeM and 32 Lives might be causing some instability. Also, with the latest versions of 32 Lives, MOTU MX4 now works... a feat no wrapper heretofore had done (although I'm thinking there may be no VST of MX4).

jBridgeM works on VSTs. 32 Lives on AUs. So seems they are complimentary in some ways, not necessarily always competing.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:This evening when I loaded 8.07 after playing the new U2 album in iTunes, it crashed and wouldn't re-load. OK... haven't seen that in awhile. I re-loaded the Finder and it booted but I noticed that it was hanging on auxhost, an app I remember seeing in the JBridge folder - never saw that before. Was JBridge incompatible with 8.07?

A little investigation showed that I was running JBridge 82d. The latest, Mavericks compatible version turns out to be 89c. Ten minutes later I had it loaded, rebooted and problem solved. Not going to wonder why this wasn't an issue in DP 8.06.

Which leads to my question: Is anyone using the mda plugins successfully in DP 8 64bit? I am betting no but, if anyone is, I'd like to know the secret. The bridged VSTs load and I can hear them but cannot see their GUIs to adjust them. In DP 8 32bit, the VST GUIs don't appear - only those for the AUs.
I had the same problem after updating to 8.07 -- strange because I updated DP, then loaded up the default template just to make sure it worked and all was well. The next day, DP 8.07 wouldn't start. I updated jBridgerM as you did and that fixed things, but only after I got rid of the bridged VSTs and recreated them.

What a can of worms that turned out to be. I had loads of old 32 bit AUs with 64 bit versions, loads of bridged VST for the same plugins, and a lot of plugins I've bought over the past few months at no-brainer sales, and then forgotten about. After a few hours I've gone from about 700 plugins to less than 400, and still have a lot of cleanup to do.

I got the same result with MDA. They load but not UI. Time to retire them.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I'm on auxhost v.1.0, as well as jBridgerM v.1.0.
We all are if on a Mac. It's the build number that's important. 89c has a number of fixes and a few tweaks since I downloaded 82d (last year?). Both are v.1.0 in Get Info.

If you are a customer, go to the web site and enter your email address in the update form. The updater will be emailed in about 10 minutes.
http://jstuff.wordpress.com/jbridgem/jbridgemupdates/
I updated jBridgerM as you did and that fixed things, but only after I got rid of the bridged VSTs and recreated them.
I did the same. One of the bugs that was fixed 89c is that it was putting the bridged plugs in the wrong directory–I didn't have that issue but I searched just in case.
tommymandel

Post by tommymandel »

Thanks, Mike and James. Appreciate the help.
re: updating jBridger, not looking forward to rebuilding all the VST plugs, but so be it! And I guess I was mistaking version # with build number. :oops:
Was the directory issue you mentioned its putting files in a User library instead of the Root library? If so, I believe I saw and corrected that earlier. Oh- just saw on their site that it was putting 32-bit settings in a 64-bit settings folder or somesuch. :unicorn:
DP 11.03 12core(5,1): 64GB/10.13.6, two 24i/o's, two 2408mk3's, 4pre, MicroLite-- MBP 2015 16GB/ 2TB 'Blade SSD 10.14.4, Mainstage, Numa C2x, ReMOTE SL -- SupDrmr, 32 Lives, SampleTron,Keyscape,MTronPro,RolCloud,Icarus,Dune,OB-E; Clearmountain Domain,Soundtoys,AdrenaLinnSync, LinnSequencers,Tempest, Montage, JU80, Sledge, Prophet-X, OB-6 V-Synth, s70xs, D-50, TS-10, JD800, Karma, Pa-1x B3, Wurly, Mason Hamlin.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

not looking forward to rebuilding all the VST plugs
The web site says you don't have to rebuild the bridges as it were but I found it better to do so.

I have over a hundred (a lot less since I removed the mda VSTs) and it took me a minute, perhaps, since I select to bridge all of my 32bit VSTs.

Although JBridge examined all of them, it did not bridge any of the 32/64 combo plugs such as Izotope. It failed to bridge SampleTank 3 which is 64bit only–no doubt, it was looking for a flag that isn't set properly.

It couldn't bridge Izotope Vinyl which no longer authorizes after OS 10.6/Rosetta anyway (too bad, that was a fun little toy).

The process is slower if you check the box to audition them one at a time, of course.
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

32 Lives works better than Jbridge ever did.

Word.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
tommymandel

Post by tommymandel »

:idea: Duly noted, David - and thanks. Although my system demands are far lighter than yours, as of now, I've updated jBridge/auxhost and not recreated my bridged plugs. So far, no annoyances.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I'm sure 32 Lives covers more ground, but in defence of jBridgerM, aside from costing one eighth of 32 Lives, it worked with all but two of my VIs when DP 8 was released, and the author emailed me a beta that dealt with that problem.

Now, I only have about a dozen old 32 bit plugins I might want to keep using now, and jBridgerM is working transparently with all of them now.
ccrane

Post by ccrane »

Fwiw, I believe there are 64bit VST versions of the MDA plug-in bundle.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mda-vst/files/mda-vst/
I haven't installed them yet but in 2012 I emailed the developer and he told me that the Sourceforge versions were 64 bit.
I really like the Combo and the Degrade plug-ins and use them all the time.
I may just try to bridge the 32bit AU version (using 32Lives) because in my very limited testing in DP 7.24 when I recalled an old sequence that was now using the VST version of the plug-in none of my parameters were recalled even though the plug-in loaded. I am hoping that if DP still see's the AU version (albeit bridged) it will properly recall the plug-in settings. If anyone can confirm this one way or another I would be most appreciative.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

ccrane wrote:Fwiw, I believe there are 64bit VST versions of the MDA plug-in bundle.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mda-vst/files/mda-vst/
I haven't installed them yet but in 2012 I emailed the developer and he told me that the Sourceforge versions were 64 bit.
Yes, they are 64 bit -- at least they will load into DP 8. But like the bridged 32 bit versions, there is no user interface available. So you can't edit any of the parameters.