'Show Takes'/Comp tool UI bug??

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
fgagne
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

'Show Takes'/Comp tool UI bug??

Post by fgagne »

Can someone else try something for me?

Let's say you have multiple takes of some track and are now in the SE...

Imagine that the Xs are audio "blobs" (dots are just empty space), when you do a 'show takes' you might see something like this:

Comp1: .....XXX.....XX....XXX....X
take1: .....XXXX....XX....XX.....X
take2: .....XXX.....XXXX..XX.....X
take3: .....XXXX....XX....XXX....X
take4: .....XXXXX...XX....
take5: .....XXXX
take6: .....XXX.....XX....XXXX
take7: .....XX.

Try using the comp-tool to select the 2 Xs in take6. The screen jumps making it impossible to select that bit with the comp tool and, from what I can tell, renders the bit of that take that you want usesless.

It seems it has something to do with a prior take that is not a 'full run through'. As if , for example, during take5 you stopped after the first bit and moved-on to the next take. You won't be able to select 'XX' in take6.

Killin' me.
Shooshie

Re: 'Show Takes'/Comp tool UI bug??

Post by Shooshie »

I do that quite a lot, if I'm reading you correctly. That is, I'll have incomplete takes interspersed with complete ones.

I haven't seen anything like jumping lines or anything that seems to move. Everything is business as usual for me.

What are your versions? DP and OSX?

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
fgagne

Post by fgagne »

DP 8.06 on OS 10.75.

I'll see if I can make it happen again tonight.

These issues are doubly problematic since I hate taking the time to report them! It's a job all its own.........

I am enjoying DP8 though. It's like good old, trusty 3.11 but it's actually capable of (and does) what you want it to do!

Also, I dug your Adjust Beats video, Shooshie. Thanks for posting it.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

fgagne wrote:DP 8.06 on OS 10.75.

I'll see if I can make it happen again tonight.

These issues are doubly problematic since I hate taking the time to report them! It's a job all its own.........

I am enjoying DP8 though. It's like good old, trusty 3.11 but it's actually capable of (and does) what you want it to do!
Ah, but reporting those issues is the glue that binds us together as a DP community! Thanks for taking the time and effort. And... if it turns out to be a real bug, and not just some bizarre anomaly of the moment, your efforts may get it fixed before it bugs someone else!
fgagne wrote:Also, I dug your Adjust Beats video, Shooshie. Thanks for posting it.
Glad it helped! I really ought to do that over or at least upload it again, this time to YouTube. YouTube videos seem to remain more or less intact when played back. That one, however, resides merely in my DropBox, and its audio drifts away from the video. It's a worthy subject, and it really ought to play back reliably. I've gotta do that.

yeah... sometime... I've gotta do that. We'll see.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
dpg4macman

Post by dpg4macman »

I've noticed this type of behavior when editing MIDI velocity. (?)
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

dpg4macman wrote:I've noticed this type of behavior when editing MIDI velocity. (?)
What kind of editing? Dragging Velocity tics or reshaping selections with the Reshape Tool?

What does it do? Is it like a graphics card issue? Are the velocities jumping around? Or is it the entire track?

If someone could film that, perhaps with an iPhone, and post it to YouTube, it would be a huge help for those who have not seen it, including those at MOTU. We can't hope to fix what we cannot see or imagine.

Shooshie
dpg4macman

Post by dpg4macman »

The velocity tool works but acts jerky or much different than past versions. Initially I thought I was doing something different but realized it wasn't me. It was acting as if the snap to grid was enabled but wasn't and shouldn't even apply when performing a velocity edit on MIDI data.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Velocity Tool = Reshape Tool?
I just need to be clear. You're talking about the third one down in the picture below?

I'll see if I can replicate it here when I get the chance.

Shooshie
dpg4macman

Post by dpg4macman »

Correct