Dynamic Plugin Latency Compensation in DP8 with VEP

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
ziobello
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Dynamic Plugin Latency Compensation in DP8 with VEP

Post by ziobello »

Hello there,
I would need some guidance on how to work with the latency of the samples during the playback. I use Vienna Ensemble Pro, and I run 5 instances of VEP in my template.

The main reason why I need things to be really tight rhythmically is that I'm writing an action cue, and I'm using groove quantize to keep the accents consistent throughout the phrases.

In case of external plugins (like VEP I think) The manual at page 902 suggests to use Time Shift non destructive MIDI plugin, in order to anticipate the MIDI notes ahead of the beat to compensate for the external VI plugin latency. Does this connect to the fact that the VEP manual says that DP7 (not sure about DP8...) doesn't have dynamic plugin latency compensation? I'd really need some clarification about this...

Therefore I have these questions:

1) Is there a way to know exactly what is the latency of the external VI, so I'll be able to put it in the time shift plugin in a way that will make everything work together, rather than going by trial and error?

2) If I put all the instruments in the VEP instances as Virtual Instruments Plugin in DP (and putting them in a V-Rack) will that improve the compensation?

3) Loading the Instruments inside DP as VI plugins rather than using VEP as a host (in the same computer) will increase the load on my CPU?

4) Do you suggest me to keep the automatic plugin compensation on in DP if I use VEP? According to the manual, it seems that the automatic plugin compensation works only for the VI plugins in DP - not for the ones loaded in VEP.

Thanks so much in advance for your help!!