Weird glitch noise due to Digital Timepiece

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
themagichoof
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Weird glitch noise due to Digital Timepiece

Post by themagichoof »

As I've mentioned, this is a hardware issue, not software. It's the DTP itself. I'll have to wait until someone with both an ADAT + DTP or a DTRS machine + DTP can run a test as well to know for sure that my theory is right, but it's looking like it.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

themagichoof wrote:As I've mentioned, this is a hardware issue, not software. It's the DTP itself. I'll have to wait until someone with both an ADAT + DTP or a DTRS machine + DTP can run a test as well to know for sure that my theory is right, but it's looking like it.
That's it. I used to be able to make it work perfectly - exactly as you are trying. It's been a long time for me.

First question: How old are the batteries? They're only mentioned in a cautionary note but I'd be surprised if they aren't the same as my Micro Express of similar age. Old batteries cause lots of problems–even more than no battery at all.

I didn't realize that the manual is still online:
http://cdn-data.motu.com/manuals/sync/D ... Manual.pdf

Page 18 is the first of many pages dealing with the TASCAM DA-88 and DA-38. It turns out there are differences between the two machines and many different ways to hook them up. Searching the .pdf file will reveal every mention of either machine along with ABS.

Here's the old ad: It should work.

The Digital Timepiece synchronizes digital audio equipment with knife-edge precision: MOTU Audio 2408™, Digidesign ProTools™ systems (without a VSD™ or SDD™), Alesis ADAT™ (without a BRC™), Tascam DA-88™ (without an SY-88™ or RC-848™), ADAT and DA-88 compatibles, SONY 9-pin video decks, word clock, S/PDIF DAT decks, Digidesign Audiomedia™ II & III, NTSC/PAL video (all formats), computer software and digital audio workstations - including support for SMPTE time code, VITC, MIDI Time Code and MIDI Machine Control.

Until now, phase-locked synchronization between these systems has been difficult or impossible. The Digital Timepiece is the first synchronizer to lock them all together with a stable, high-resolution time base - with no dithering, rounding, or software delays. Choose any one device as the master; all the rest slave precisely and reliably. And drive everything from a MMC controller, computer sequencer or digital audio workstation.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
themagichoof
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by themagichoof »

The tricky part is that most didn't use the DTP as a slave, but rather the master. As the master, the DTP is flawless. As a slave to Tascam or ADAT sync though, it doesn't seem quite perfect.

I don't know how old the batteries are but I bought a new DTP recently and got the same thing.

I pretty much agree with what the ad says but maybe there were some bugs that were never worked out. I'll have to wait until someone else with an ADAT or DTRS machine with the appropriate sync cable and a DTP can run a test.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

You bought a new DTP? Those were discontinued 10 years ago. Unless someone refurbished it (burnish the connectors and replaced the battery) That's where I would look first.

I thought that for a Tascam machine to be the master, it required the optional SY-88 card. I confess that I know the DA-88 better than the DA-38 and there are differences. Then there is the famous 3-second issue with these–see p.18 of the DTP manual.

Although I like paper manuals, the ability to search the .pdf is real handy when troubleshooting.
As the master, the DTP is flawless.
That may be your solution, like it or not.

Concentrating on the problem you are trying to solve rather than the way that you would prefer to solve it generally gives better results.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro