Just discovered a very annoying DP8.06 issue...

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Just discovered a very annoying DP8.06 issue...

Post by FMiguelez »

I've been working on a voice over where the girl has very accentuated esses. Lots of "sssss" and "shsss".

Every time I time-range select an ssss sound and loop it (to pinpoint the offending frequency with an analyzer and EQ it out destructively), DP seems to go past the boundary of the right side of the loop. By a lot. Almost as if the selection were twice as long. And I can't get it to do it right.

No matter how short or long the loop is, it will never loop around the exact selected range. This renders this workflow useless for me.

I won't be able to update to DP 8.07 until next week, and I don't even know if this new version does this as well.

Is anyone else seeing this in DP8.06 or DP8.07?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
supersonic

Re: Just discovered a very annoying DP8.06 issue...

Post by supersonic »

De-essing it automatically is not an option? I have not seen that behavior in 8.06 or 8.07 and I have been editing a lot yesterday. Perhaps you have the grid snap on? I suppose you are picking a very small portion but then again I do that too and so far so good.
Music is movement in silence
My day jon - http://www.audioplanet.pl
My other passion - http://www.aps-company.pl
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

FMiguelez wrote:I've been working on a voice over where the girl has very accentuated esses. Lots of "sssss" and "shsss".

Every time I time-range select an ssss sound and loop it (to pinpoint the offending frequency with an analyzer and EQ it out destructively), DP seems to go past the boundary of the right side of the loop. By a lot. Almost as if the selection were twice as long. And I can't get it to do it right.

No matter how short or long the loop is, it will never loop around the exact selected range. This renders this workflow useless for me.

I won't be able to update to DP 8.07 until next week, and I don't even know if this new version does this as well.

I can't remember... is there a post-roll setting in DP anywhere?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

supersonic wrote:De-essing it automatically is not an option? I have not seen that behavior in 8.06 or 8.07 and I have been editing a lot yesterday. Perhaps you have the grid snap on? I suppose you are picking a very small portion but then again I do that too and so far so good.
Yes. I had to set an automatic de-esser.

The looped regions were mostly very short (as short as normal spoken esses). The grid was off, so that would't be the reason. And even if it was on, once the desired time- range selection is set, it shouldn't matter, correct?
James Steele wrote:
I can't remember... is there a post-roll setting in DP anywhere?
I'm actually hoping that's the reason I'm having this problem, but I've never seen a setting for post-roll for looped regions.
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

If you use destructive plug-ins, the window that pops up when you "Apply", also has post and pre-roll fields where you can enter an amount in milliseconds.

I'm not sure if that answers your question or not. DP 7.24.

I don't remember the last time I did something like that, so I'm not too sure how it corresponds with any selection you make.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

FMiguelez wrote:I won't be able to update to DP 8.07 until next week, and I don't even know if this new version does this as well.

It seems to behave the same way in both 8.06 and 8.07. I think there is a minimum time duration for which a loop loops accurately.

I tried this:
With time displayed in SE, started a loop at time 0:00:00.00 and ending at 0:00:00.28.
Placed a short SB with a click at 0:00:00.30.
The loop seems to work properly and the click cannot be heard.

With the loop starting at 0:00:00.00 and ending at 0:00:00.20 and the click at 0:00:00.22, however, the wiper continues past 0:00:00.20 and plays the click at 0:00:00.22.

I don't know of any settings that change this.

There is a work-around if you really need to analyze a very short segment. Copy the segment and paste it to an empty section of the track. Then set the loop over that section. The loop will still be too long, but at least you'll only be analyzing the audio from the segment you copied. It's a PIA, but it will get you the data you're looking for.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Phil O wrote:It seems to behave the same way in both 8.06 and 8.07. I think there is a minimum time duration for which a loop loops accurately.

I tried this:
With time displayed in SE, started a loop at time 0:00:00.00 and ending at 0:00:00.28.
Placed a short SB with a click at 0:00:00.30.
The loop seems to work properly and the click cannot be heard.

With the loop starting at 0:00:00.00 and ending at 0:00:00.20 and the click at 0:00:00.22, however, the wiper continues past 0:00:00.20 and plays the click at 0:00:00.22.

I don't know of any settings that change this.

There is a work-around if you really need to analyze a very short segment. Copy the segment and paste it to an empty section of the track. Then set the loop over that section. The loop will still be too long, but at least you'll only be analyzing the audio from the segment you copied. It's a PIA, but it will get you the data you're looking for.
Phil!!
I lost track of this thread.

Thank you so much for your reply.

I did a similar test to yours, and you're right. DP appears to have a limit as to how short the looped region can be before exhibiting that behaviour.
In my case, the limit is 250 milliseconds. At 240 ms, it gets past the region range.

I don't know if it's a bug or a DP limitation. But I discovered that if I select Apply Plug-In, and use the Preview button, then there's no limit anymore. The looped range can even be 10 ms 8)

Thank you for taking the time for testing this!
Last edited by FMiguelez on Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phil O

Post by Phil O »

No hay problema.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.