If DP added a MIDI/VI track option would you like it?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: If DP added a MIDI/VI track option would you like it?

Post by bayswater »

Michael Canavan wrote: Seems pretty cool, but you can't record into Aux tracks, so to eventually record those parts you're going to have to route them to regular audio tracks or bounce them all separately.
No, you probably can't record Audio into these Aux tracks, although you can drag an Audio region into them. I don't know what that does. You can record MIDI on them, despite the lack of a record button -- they're always armed. You can record automation into them too. And bounce them to the audio bin.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

bayswater wrote:
Michael Canavan wrote: Seems pretty cool, but you can't record into Aux tracks, so to eventually record those parts you're going to have to route them to regular audio tracks or bounce them all separately.
No, you probably can't record Audio into these Aux tracks, although you can drag an Audio region into them. I don't know what that does. You can record MIDI on them, despite the lack of a record button -- they're always armed. You can record automation into them too. And bounce them to the audio bin.
Just a guess, but Logic without holding down the command key (if memory recalls), 'arms' the selected track, with a regular audio, MIDI or instrument the record button lights up. I wonder how this works with setting up multis though? Like I said before for arming multiple instruments you would hold down a command key and arm two or more tracks, for stacking MIDI tracks or for split keyboards etc. My guess is they don't play well together, you have to select a single Aux track to have this work right, and multi selecting wouldn't work.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Killahurts wrote:Where is that command? Can't find it in the manual or menus..
From the 7.24 pdf update:
OPEN INSTRUMENT SHORTCUT
For instrument tracks and MIDI tracks assigned to virtual
instruments, an Open Instrument shortcut has been added to
open the instrument plug-in window. This shortcut is
available in a number of ways:
■ keyboard shortcut
■ Sequence Editor track menu
■ Mixing Board track menu
■ Track Inspector/Info Bar button
If a MIDI track is not assigned to a virtual instrument, the
Open Instrument command will be unavailable.

And I still can't find it. I may be blind, though.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Michael Canavan wrote:
bayswater wrote:
Just a guess, but Logic without holding down the command key (if memory recalls), 'arms' the selected track, with a regular audio, MIDI or instrument the record button lights up. I wonder how this works with setting up multis though? Like I said before for arming multiple instruments you would hold down a command key and arm two or more tracks, for stacking MIDI tracks or for split keyboards etc. My guess is they don't play well together, you have to select a single Aux track to have this work right, and multi selecting wouldn't work.
From watching the video, it looks like you record MIDI onto the Aux tracks by just selecting each track. The record button is missing. The main VI track has the record button and it has to be turned on and off. Not the best thought out interface -- I suppose it will be improved in future releases.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Sean Kenny

Post by Sean Kenny »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I like it as is.
+1
Mac Pro 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC - OS X 10.12.4 - DP 9.13 - RME HDSPe Madi card - iz ADA converters 24 i/o - Antelope Orion 32 i/o - Audient desk - Miller & Kreisel Monitors - Wunder Mic Pre's x 8 - very understanding wife!
http://www.ten21recordingstudios.co.uk/
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

I'll say this, it would make sense for a lot of soft synths such as Massive, Korg KCL, Absynth, etc. For samplers like Kontakt and Mach3? Absolutely not. Basically every synth or modeling VI is going to be married to one MIDI track, so the idea of having a combined track has it's appeal. But I also like to load up sample instances with sets of similar instances, especially when doing orchestral mockups, so the idea of "one-instance-per-instrument" is absurd. Also, how many times have I created ambient pads and drones by combining more than one synth VI together with a Device Group? There's another instance where in this case there's one MIDI track to two VIs.

Sometimes I do feel a little bogged down by having twice as many tracks as I really need, so I wouldn't mind a combo MIDI/VI track, however, I would NEVER give up the existing method. Thankfully, as far back as I can tell, DP has never killed a feature, only added, so I think the likelihood of that is pretty much nothing.

I would be concerned about how automation is handled though. I generally have no interest in volume or MIDI panning automation, and would prefer that to be done further down the chain after it goes through the VI. The only case being when I'm grouping instruments in a sampler in which case, I wouldn't use this feature anyway. I'd hope that by default, "Volume" and "Pan" automation would be audio volume and panning, not MIDI data, but I'm sure there's someone out there would want it the other way around, so it would probably be good to have an option.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Prime Mover wrote:Sometimes I do feel a little bogged down by having twice as many tracks as I really need, so I wouldn't mind a combo MIDI/VI track, however, I would NEVER give up the existing method. Thankfully, as far back as I can tell, DP has never killed a feature, only added, so I think the likelihood of that is pretty much nothing.
Exactly. That's one of the reasons I love DP. I've been using it for over 20 years, and they don't take away from, they add to.. That's why it is such a monster of a DAW now! There's no reason to believe that a feature like that wouldn't be given as an option, on top of the existing features and methods.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
frankf

Post by frankf »

cuttime wrote:
Killahurts wrote:Where is that command? Can't find it in the manual or menus..
From the 7.24 pdf update:
OPEN INSTRUMENT SHORTCUT
For instrument tracks and MIDI tracks assigned to virtual
instruments, an Open Instrument shortcut has been added to
open the instrument plug-in window. This shortcut is
available in a number of ways:
■ keyboard shortcut
■ Sequence Editor track menu
■ Mixing Board track menu
■ Track Inspector/Info Bar button
If a MIDI track is not assigned to a virtual instrument, the
Open Instrument command will be unavailable.

And I still can't find it. I may be blind, though.
Try the contextual menus also, and search the commands window Nd assign your own keys to it. But yes it's hard to find.

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

The Open Instrument command is in the Commands window. It doesn't have a shortcut assigned as a default. You must choose your own to make it work. In the Commands window, just type the word "instrument" and it will pop up. There, you can type in your shortcut command.

Edit: Sorry for repeating info; looks like frankf covered it already.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Tritonemusic wrote:The Open Instrument command is in the Commands window. It doesn't have a shortcut assigned as a default. You must choose your own to make it work. In the Commands window, just type the word "instrument" and it will pop up. There, you can type in your shortcut command.

Edit: Sorry for repeating info; looks like frankf covered it already.
Indeed, the simple solution already in DP if you take the time to find it. Thanks.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Indeed, the simple solution already in DP if you take the time to find it. Thanks.
:!: :koolaid: :unicorn:
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Tritonemusic wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Indeed, the simple solution already in DP if you take the time to find it. Thanks.
Thanks for helping me find it. I see that it is also available in the sequence editor and mixing board track pull down menus.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
dpg4macman

Post by dpg4macman »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I suppose it's a little like driving a manual vs. an automatic transmission. Most people will opt for the latter but you'll NEVER see a professional driving an automatic on a race track.

DP is the Maserati of the DAW world. I don't want to add an 8 track player.

I agree - I love DP as is. My thoughts : )
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

cuttime wrote:
Tritonemusic wrote:
Thanks for helping me find it. I see that it is also available in the sequence editor and mixing board track pull down menus.
Thanks, I'm sure i'll find it, now that I know that it truly exists.. :koolaid:
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

I'm sorry, I should have said that I think that I know that it truly exists.