Notes get moved when changing tempo

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
vladat
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Notes get moved when changing tempo

Post by vladat »

Anyone have an idea why do MIDI notes get screwed up and displaced when I adjust beats? Shouldn't they remain in the same place in the measures? The MIDI tracks are unlocked.

I believe this should only happen when the tracks are locked (to time). I want them locked to position in measures.
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Notes get moved when changing tempo

Post by Shooshie »

Check the "Preserve Original Performance" box. That assures that the performance itself remains in place, as it was performed.

But the notes HAVE to move if you adjust the beats. Remember, if the "Preserve Original Performance" box is checked, you're not really moving them relative to each other in performance; you're only moving them in the score.

Adjust Beats, with the box checked, is only changing DP's representation of the music you've recorded or pasted in. It doesn't change the actual music. To change the music (but not the representation of it in the score) use Tap Tempo, once your beats are adjusted and in place.

There's a long video (about 14 minutes) about Adjust Beats at the top of page 5 in the Tips Sheet. It's very old, and the audio gets out of sync with the video. I need to upload that to YouTube, where things seem to stay synced. Anyway, it will tell you probably most of what you need to know about Adjust Beats.

It also explains my method of using the Conductor track in conjunction with the MIDI track so that you can position the beats properly when there are no notes falling on the beat. Let me know if you are still confused about Adjust Beats.

One tip that may not be in the video: when you have to adjust by a LOT, you will want to choose "adjust the rest of the track by the same amount" or something like that. That will keep you from crossing over existing beats. But the movement of notes in the graphic representation of the music is necessary to make it work.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Also, Let's be sure that our terminology is consistent.
Adjust Beats: for taking free-form music and making a score without changing the performance playback of the music. Requires Conductor Track to be active, not tempo by metronome.
Record Beats This allows you to do the same thing as Adjust Beats, but you do it by tapping a key. Not to be confused with Tap Tempo, Record Beats is non-destructive if you check the "Preserve Original Performance" box. It changes the way the music looks in a score, not the actual tempos and timing of the music. You're only telling it "put a beat here, here, here, here..." etc. Record Beats usually requires some cleaning up with Adjust Beats or Quantize, or even multiple takes or punch-ins.
Tap Tempo: Changes tempos as you conduct the music by tapping. Requires Conductor Track tempo control. Not to be confused with Record Beats, which also uses a tap on a keyboard, Tap Tempo is destructive and should be done on a New Take in the Conductor Track.
Changing Tempo: Control Panel, Conductor Track, or
Tap Tempo Change: Tap the \ key in time and hit Return. For use with metronome, not Conductor Track.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
vladat
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by vladat »

Thank you soooo much, the 'Preserve original performance' somehow got checked and I never used it before, so I haven't paid attention :banghead:

I can't thank you enough.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

vladat wrote:Thank you soooo much, the 'Preserve original performance' somehow got checked and I never used it before, so I haven't paid attention :banghead:

I can't thank you enough.
You already have!

And I added "Record Beats" to my terminology post, in case you're interested. I just forgot it the other day.

Shoosh