MIDI assignment italics

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
octojoculus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MIDI assignment italics

Post by octojoculus »

My outboard MIDI devices went to italics overnight on all of my projects. I can record MIDI in but it won't play on the disabled devices. In Remap MIDI Devices, the devices are on the New Assignment pulldown, but are in italics. Also in that menu, MIDI Express XT ports 2-5 are all in italics and inoperative, but MIDI Express XT port 6 is available and working. When I start Audio MIDI Setup it goes straight to the Audio Devices tab, so the MIDI Devices tab is not available. How do I re-enable the italicized options?
Last edited by octojoculus on Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rickorick

Re: MIDI assignment italics

Post by rickorick »

Did you turn everything off and back on?
Used 2012 Mac Pro 3.33 6 Core 16g ram 10.8.5 DP 7.24
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Make sure there are tiles in the bundles window MIDI tab.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I run into this pretty often. It's kind of a bummer, as if DP is saying: "Oh, I see this track wants to play something called 'K2500R' and you have a device connected that is also called 'K2500R'. it's close, but not a match. Oh, well. Let me know if that's the device you want. Until then: italics."

A couple things you can try-- and I'm guessing here. Make sure you power up all your devices well before launching DP. That way AudioMIDI Setup can have them on-line first. If that doesn't do anything useful, open your bundles window and just make all the adjustments/routings (and go ahead and clean up dead devices).

And finally, these shortcuts are your friends...

1. Select MIDI track(s)
2. SHIFT-UP/DOWN ARROW to change output device/VI
3. OPT-UP/DOWN ARROW to change output channel
4. SHIFT-OPT-UP/DOWN ARROW to move selection to next track

Notice that you can select a group of tracks and change the device/VI and it will retain the channel setting as it steps through available devices. If you change the MIDI channel of multiple tracks it will nudge each channel setting up/down one-at-a-time.

(Wish I would have known that little set of shortcuts years sooner.)
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

octojoculus wrote:When I start Audio MIDI Setup it goes straight to the Audio Devices tab, so the MIDI Devices tab is not available. How do I re-enable the italicized options?
Are you talking about Apple's Audio MIDI setup? Are you saying you can't access a MIDI window there? Occasionally my mac forgets my MIDI Timepiece and replaces it with 'MIDI Timepiece #2' at which point DP can't access the original. I delete the original MTP in AMS, rename the #2 and remake the connections to the interface in AMS. Seemed to be more common with older OSX versions.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

philbrown wrote:
octojoculus wrote:When I start Audio MIDI Setup it goes straight to the Audio Devices tab, so the MIDI Devices tab is not available. How do I re-enable the italicized options?
Are you talking about Apple's Audio MIDI setup? Are you saying you can't access a MIDI window there? Occasionally my mac forgets my MIDI Timepiece and replaces it with 'MIDI Timepiece #2' at which point DP can't access the original. I delete the original MTP in AMS, rename the #2 and remake the connections to the interface in AMS. Seemed to be more common with older OSX versions.

Yeah, that used to happen a lot. I have some versions saved, and would reload them when that happened. It's been at least a couple of years since it did that, though.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|