Tab to next/previous note in MIDI editor with audible mode

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
ziobello
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Tab to next/previous note in MIDI editor with audible mode

Post by ziobello »

Hey there,
I'm trying to edit a part in the MIDI editor, and I was wondering if there's a way to move to the previous/next note, without having to click on it, in a way that would make the note audible (in audible mode) just as when you click on it. I noticed that if you click tab you can move to the next note, but it's not audible, and also I don't know how to go back with the tab and some other key. :?
I also noticed that you can hear the pitches changing when you nudge up and down the note with ctrl-command and the up and down arrows.
Could anyone help me?
Thanks!
stubbsonic

Re: Tab to next/previous note in MIDI editor with audible mo

Post by stubbsonic »

On my rig, Tab doesn't move the note selection forward, but OPTION-TAB moves it backward (to the previous note). Perhaps my Tab key is assigned to something else.

I completely agree though that it would be super handy to have it play the note.

Thanks for reminding me about the nudge up/down. I always drag, but that is handy. However, it is pretty slow/sluggish on my machine-- not nearly as snappy as dragging. Maximum speed to nudge is about 160 BPM. If I hit it multiple times fast, it will walk up at 160 BPM 'til it arrives.

It would also be great if the nudge was responsive. Then I might use it.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

The only thing I can think of is to hit Tab (or whatever key you have assigned), then hit Option-Spacebar. That will play the note you just jumped to.

Tab, Option-Spacebar...Tab, Option-Spacebar....repeat as necessary.....

Unfortunately, that's not as streamlined as what you're looking for.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
ziobello

Post by ziobello »

Thanks stubsonic, now my rig does the same thing, tab only works in the sequence window but not in the MIDI editor. In this editor option-tab works for me too, whereas tab toggles the keyboard input of the grid value, and I can't find the last one in the commands to overwrite. I put control- tab for the next event and it works fine.

Thanks Tritonemusic I didn't know option-space bar it works great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

There are a whole bunch of undocumented commands for that kind of thing which you will find in the Commands Window (SHIFT-L).

The particular section which you would find most useful would be the Selections section. Also worth checking out would be Navigation, though I don't think it will select anything for you. Apply keyboard or MIDI triggers to the commands you like the most, and DP will open new vistas for you.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
ziobello

Post by ziobello »

Thanks a lot Shooshie, that's very helpful! :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk