Copy/Paste issue

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
ziobello
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Copy/Paste issue

Post by ziobello »

Hey there,
I'm having trouble in copying and pasting notes from one track to the other. I select the notes (and they all appear to be selected in the MIDI editor and in the event list) but when I paste them only few of them are copied and most of them are wrong.
I selected the notes:
- making a selection and option-drag it in the tracks window to the new track;
- selecting all the notes in the MIDI editor, copy them and paste them to the MIDI editor/Sequence window of the new tracks;
- selecting the notes via the event list, copy them and paste to the MIDI editor/Sequence window;

I really don't know what it could be, could anyone help me?
Thanks!
Shooshie

Re: Copy/Paste issue

Post by Shooshie »

We're using the same versions of DP and OS X, but I have never seen that problem — ever. I'm not saying it's not real; just that I can't imagine what's causing it. This might be a job for MOTU Tech Support.

One thing to check, though I've never seen it do THAT, is Smart Selections. If you have it checked, try turning it off.

Another thing: before pasting, deselect everything by typing COMMAND-D, then carefully clicking the cursor at the location where you want to paste, or positioning the counter/wiper at the precise location in the active track. Command-D eliminates the previous selection, so that you are not pasting exactly on top of what you selected to copy.

If you are trying to select from many tracks, then paste it all into one track in a single move, that might be your problem. DP is going to try to paste those into the same number of tracks, relatively the same distance apart, as in the selection. If you're doing this, try selecting from one track at a time and pasting or merging.

Merge... that's another possibility. If you're pasting into a track, and you want to ADD to what's already there, use Merge instead of Paste. Dragging cells and selections in the Tracks Overview Window always merges by default.

If selecting in the Event List, be sure you've got the whole event selected, and not just, say, note names or velocities. I'm not sure if it's even possible to select a list of velocities without the events they belong to, but if so, that might cause some confusion when pasting to graphic edit window.

This is just stuff off the top of my head. If I think of anything else, I'll try to get back here and add another post. Honestly, however, this sounds like some kind of file corruption or something. You might try loading the chunks into a new file, replacing your DP preferences, or re-installing DP. If you replace preferences, save a copy of them, because if it doesn't help, you will probably want to put them back the way they were.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
ziobello

Post by ziobello »

Thanks so much Shooshie!!
You were exactly right, I thought it was a Digital Performer issue, but actually the file was probably corrupt because I started from scratch another project and it worked fine.
:D
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

ziobello wrote:Thanks so much Shooshie!!
You were exactly right, I thought it was a Digital Performer issue, but actually the file was probably corrupt because I started from scratch another project and it worked fine.
:D
I had a similar problem early this morning. I created a file from my default template, and I could not get things to work right. It had to do with audio output and MIDI monitoring, not copy/paste of notes, but the principle is the same: the only thing that fixed it was throwing it in the trash and starting with a new, blank file, building it up from scratch. It doesn't happen to me very often, but I'm learning to trust my instincts to start over, not blame DP.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|