DP 8 vs. Arturia Analog Lab

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Gravity Jim
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP 8 vs. Arturia Analog Lab

Post by Gravity Jim »

I replaced my old 25-key Arturia desktop controller with a KeyLab 49 today (which is awesome, BTW), and even though I already own their Analog Laboratory, I downloaded the Analog Lab software (a license comes with the keyboard).

It ran fine free-standing, but after the install DP consistently crashed either on or shortly after launch (I can't remember the last time it just bikes up and quit on me). As soon as I uninstalled Analog Lab, everything was fine again.

Do any of you have experience with this? I certainly don't need Analog Lab, and I chose the Arturia for its quality and easy MIDI configuration, so it ain't no thang. But I have a hard time leaving a problem unsolved. Wrote to Arturia,but I know the drill there. You might get a response in a couple of months.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
Gravity Jim

Re: DP 8 vs. Arturia Analog Lab

Post by Gravity Jim »

I heard back from an Arturia tech in 24 hours! Kind of stunned. We'll see if the conversation continues apace.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

A shot in the dark but I wonder if it could be having an issue with the installer on Mavericks. If you don't have your security settings relaxed, try setting them temporarily to allow all installations. Reset after installing Analog Lab.

This is pure speculation on my part.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Any informed speculation is welcome, sir, and your Mac info is always highly informed. I'll give it a shot.
Jim Bordner

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I got Analog Lab with my Keylab 61. It was fine on my setup when I first installed it maybe 6 months ago, although I don't use it much. I was using 10.8.5 and 8.05 at the time and still do.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Well, yeah... Like I say, it ain't no thang, and I don't suppose I'd use it much, either. But it does have some cool noise making presets that could be useful, so I would like to explore it in production. It might be a Mavericks thing, and if so... Lah di dah. C'est la vie.
Jim Bordner

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

You can use it in standalone mode and route MIDI to it until the mystery is solved.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I hadn't thought of that... because I've never routed MIDI to an outside program. Hmmm.
Jim Bordner

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

DP's Interapplication MIDI works well. I use it to get MIDI to DSP-Quattro, Logic and VIs. Soundflower to get the audio back to DP.
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

I went through a long saga with Arturia and Analog Lab. My problem was a crash on close issue, and I wasn't on Mavericks, so this may be different than what you're going through. I was finally able to get them to reproduce the bug and they said it should be fixed in the next version. That was sometime ago and I would hope that the issue had been fixed by now, but haven't had a chance to test.

However, the solution in my case was to switch from the AU to VST version of Analog Lab. Since doing that, all my crashes went away. You might want to give that a try. I have continued to use the VST version with no problems and have not had a chance to go back and test with the AU version.

Hope this helps,
Babz
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Thanks, Babz... I'll give it a try!

------------------------> a bit later....

It works! I disabled the AU and enabled the VST, and it doesn't crash.

Now, tomorrow, I need to do one more experiment. Because of some weirdness that occurred while I was teaching NI Vintage Organs which sliders to respond to as drawbars, and the fact that DP froze the first time I tried to examine the VST version, I ended up throwing away my "test" file, thinking it might have been corrupted. So I want to try the AU version again with this fresh DP project... Just to make sure I wasn't having these crashes because I had screwed up the file.

Thanks for the info, sistah.
Last edited by Gravity Jim on Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Bordner

Babz

Post by Babz »

Good deal! BTW, the same applies for the CS80v, need to use the VST version for that one too.

Sorry to hear the problems with AU still persist, but fortunately DP now supports VST, so we're good!!

Worth it, IMO, since Analog Lab RAWKS!

In fact, I liked it so much that I recently ended up getting the complete V Collection, which includes all 15 of their instruments! Especially lovin' their Jupiter synth!

BTW, FYI, Arturua are currently running a 50% off sale till Sept 8...

Rock on, brah!

Babz
Last edited by Babz on Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I've got Analog Laboratory, but Analog Lab has that bonehead simple one-to-one UI, which is helpful for controlling the synths in real time with the KeyLab. I love the Arturia sounds, and I'd go for the individual synths if I needed any more synths, but I've probably got 10,000 presets I haven't even listened to yet!

But thanks for the big up. I don't know that I ever would have gotten a workable answer from Arturia. As a matter of fact, I logged on to the website, saw that my support ticket was marked "Closed" (even though they haven't responded), and when I tried to open the ticket to see if there was a reponse I hadn't seen because of a glitch in my e-mail (I lost a couple in the last 48 hours), I found the support ticket system was now being handled on a third party site that wouldn't recognize my Arturia log-in, so I couldn't see the damn thing!

Seriously. Next to Comcast, worst support experiences ever.
Jim Bordner

Babz

Post by Babz »

Wow. Hopefully, just a glitch. My support experience was just the opposite. They always responded right away and stuck with me through thick and thin. Of course, I was pretty proactive about it, sending them detailed steps to reproduce the bug, crash reports, etc. It took a long time to track down and come up with the VST solution. I'm glad it worked for you too! :)

I agree about having too many presets, but I find the Arturia stuff makes a good compliment to my K9 Ultimate (which I also won't get through in one lifetime) Arturia is strong on vintage recreations, where it seems NI has moved away from that area in recent years.

I just like it because I had like 5 song ideas within a few minutes of auditioning presets. I may never get to the other 99,995, but that's the kind of problem I can live with. :mrgreen:

Best,
Babz
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Well, they are French. I suppose someone named Barbara gets more attention than someone named Jim. ;)

As far as complementary VIs go, I run Komplete, a bunch of EPs and strings for Konrakt, Geosonics, Korg M1 and Wavestation, Analog Laboratory, Omnisphere, and the 8-bit giddiness of Plogue Chipsounds. It covers a lot of ground with only minor overlap. Add that to my old hardware synths, mostly the JV1080 and Supernova, and I have way, way more synthy goodness than I can probably use the rest of my career!
Jim Bordner