Annoying Slippage Of ADC

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Tobor
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Annoying Slippage Of ADC

Post by Tobor »

Hi,

I've been experiencing a recurring problem with DP8 losing it's ADC (auto delay compensation) when using plugins. The strange thing is that I will be doing voiceovers and everything is working fine, but suddenly after ten or twenty minutes, without changing plugs or adding anything, I'll suddenly get latency which makes it virtually impossible to continue voiceover work. The same thing happened yesterday in a rehearsal with guitar and bass plugged in through plugs in DP8, i.e. everything working fine one minute, noticeable latency the next.

If I quit DP, then reboot and open the file I was just working on, once again everything is fine. For a while. But inevitably the ADC will slip again, and I have to quit. Obviously having to quit DP and then reboot just to get work done is not a desirable way to work.

I don't know if Mavericks is interfering in some way or what.... also haven't tested this in Logic or Live, but I suspect this is unique to DP. I just upgraded my Waves plugs to the latest versions yesterday, but the problem persists.

Anybody else experience this problem or have any ideas what might be causing this??
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
bayswater

Re: Annoying Slippage Of ADC

Post by bayswater »

I recall this happening early in the DP7 releases. But I haven't seen it at all in v8 under 10.9 or 10.9. IIRC there were suspicions that a plugin was reporting its latency incorrectly. It went away, maybe with the update of the guilty plugin.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Tobor, see also current thread on parallel compression.
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

Thanks Bayswater, took note of a ref there about ADC 'forgetting' the latency on occasion. Glad there's at least some verification, otherwise it's like the stuck notes issue (which I also had a huge problem with, but for me it cleared up sometime after DP5 came out).

The strange thing is that I'll be working with no latency, and even after no activity all of a sudden the latency will be back, as if something phones home and forgets to phone back.
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I seem to recall starting a new project and loading resulted in forgotten adc going away. Or maybe it just went away on its own and I'm being superstitious. Anyway, although the problem went away its annoying to have no IDE what caused it and what fixed it
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

This sounds like its related to your Mac losing contact with your MIDI Timepiece AV. It's similar
to experiences I've had where suddenly, almost all my audio tracks were playing back out of sync, late or early. I'd quit DP (this was with DP 5.13), turn the MTP AV off and on, reboot DP
and things would be back to normal. Or, sometimes I'd just go to the hardware select screen
and click "ok" and that would "re-connect" the MTP AV.

I haven't had any problems since moving to DP 7.24 (now I'm on 8.06). I probably should have
ditched the MTP AV and bought a new MOTU MIDI interface by now, but just haven't gotten around to that. Nevertheless, I'd recommend getting a new MIDI interface and retiring your MTP AV, if possible.

You could certainly verify whether it is the MTP AV by borrowing (or even buying) another MIDI interface and see if you still have the problem.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com