Import multiple Audio files?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
rockitcity
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Import multiple Audio files?

Post by rockitcity »

This might be an easy one, but I searched and didn't find it so...

I have a Tascam DR 40 that I use for remote recordings, band rehearsals, etc. I would like to import these files (24 bit, wave files, 44,100) into Digital Performer for editing.

I'm coming from a compact flash drive so I drag the files into my DP session audio files folder since DP won't let me import directly from the flash drive even when set to copy on import (seems kind of dumb, but I can deal with that.)

Now, what I would like to do is select all (shift-click) the files in my session audio files folder and import them into the DP soundbites list at once. DP only allows me to import them one at a time. Is there a key command that will allow them all to be imported? I can select them all, but only the first file appears when I use the "Add" button. Any solutions?

Thanks,

Bob
Mac Mini Quad i7 2.6 Ghz, 16 G RAM, 2 SSD's. Motu 896 HD Hybrid, 8pre, Fastlane USB, Presonus Faderport, vintage guitars!
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Import multiple Audio files?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Have you tried just DRAGGING them into the SOUNDBITES window? If they're time stamped, you should be able to select the tracks for each song (assuming there are multiple songs) and drag those into the left side of the TRACKS window and they should just line up and be ready to edit.

If not, then it might be an issue with the Flash drive, in which case you could copy the content to the Mac and then drag to the above windows. You DON'T, however, HAVE TO import vis the "import" feature from the soundbites window as you can drag and drop as described above - at least from the Finder and I suspect from any attached drive.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
rockitcity

Post by rockitcity »

Oh... Dragging, yeah, that's the ticket. I've already copied them to the hard drive from the flash drive so that's not the (known) issue.

Guess my Pro Tools lizard brain got in the way of that one.

I did find that when recording the DR 40 in 4 channel mode and dragging into 2 stereo tracks that the tracks stack up on each other like takes so I have to drag them separately and align them. I was looking for a way to change the nudge value to make it easier to phase align the tracks (one is internal mic and the other is the board mix about 30 feet apart) but I didn't find it. Is there any way to select the (arrow key) nudge value to msec or samples?

Thanks!
Mac Mini Quad i7 2.6 Ghz, 16 G RAM, 2 SSD's. Motu 896 HD Hybrid, 8pre, Fastlane USB, Presonus Faderport, vintage guitars!
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

SETUP menu>TIME FORMATS would be my guess. I'm in a MIDI only project and can't really leave it long enough to experiment. BTW, if you can set the DR40 to do broadcast wave or other timestamped audio formats, you should be able to drag the files w/o them stacking.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
NazRat
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by NazRat »

You can set the nudge value in the Snap Information window.
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1
doodles

Post by doodles »

RockitCity wrote:I did find that when recording the DR 40 in 4 channel mode and dragging into 2 stereo tracks that the tracks stack up on each other like takes so I have to drag them separately and align them.
Don't create the tracks first. Simply drag them into the Tracks window, and it'll create the tracks for you, name them (from the name in the soundbite) and put them to their original timestamp.
2*5-core 3.46 Intel xeon (32 gigs RAM), 2*dual 2.5 (16 & 32 gigs RAM), DP 8.07, WAVES 9, Lexicon plugs, SoundToys, all Spectrasonics, NI Komplete 9, Vienna Ensemble (extended), LASS, Evolve, Symphobia, etc, Cinesamples, Arturia, cinestrings, all Project Sam
rockitcity

Post by rockitcity »

This:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:SETUP menu>TIME FORMATS would be my guess...
Set to "Real Time"

Plus this:
NazRat wrote:You can set the nudge value in the Snap Information window.
seems to do what I wanted. Thanks for the tips.
doodles wrote: Don't create the tracks first. Simply drag them into the Tracks window, and it'll create the tracks for you, name them (from the name in the soundbite) and put them to their original timestamp.
I haven't tried this. The DR40 in 4 channel mode names tracks with a "0012" and "0034" designation. They are WAV files, but do not contain time stamps. I aligned the two pairs manually by zooming in and dragging until the waveforms lined up. Then I created a "Mix and Edit" group for the two stereo tracks to do some editing, and to allow some control over levels of the board mix vs the internal mics. Seems to work ok. Maybe I'll try dragging into a blank sequence to see what happens with the pairs of tracks.

Thanks again.