Controlling DP transport from Arturia MIDI controller?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
cgs
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Controlling DP transport from Arturia MIDI controller?

Post by cgs »

I've been trying to solve this for a number of hours, I'm sure I'm missing something obvious. I haven't used DP much over the past couple years, recently upgraded to DP8 and have been going through the tutorials in the Getting Started guide.

In a nutshell, I'm trying to use my Arturia MIDI controller's transport controls (play/stop/record/etc.) to control DP's transport controls. This is apparently possible. I configured the controller to send MMC from the controls (according to mappings I found online), and in DP's MIDI Monitor window I can see that DP is getting MIDI messages of type 'CO'. I've been through the DP User Guide (sections on MMC and Control Surfaces - which I don't think apply here), but cannot for the life of me get this to work.

I've been able to find little to no info online or in Arturia's forums (which are a black hole). Has anyone has had success doing something like this (I'm using an Arturia "The Laboratory" 49-key controller btw)?
Mac Pro1.1 8-Core 2.66 GHz, 8 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, DP 8.06, Arturia Laboratory, Yamaha i88x (long live mLAN), Korg OASYS-PCI (long live OASYS-PCI), lots of old Ensoniq gear (long live Ensoniq)

Wow I really need to update my sig...
bayswater

Re: Controlling DP transport from Arturia MIDI controller?

Post by bayswater »

I had some initial problems using the Keylab 61 transport to run DP's transport. After a while I realized some keys on my Arturia send out one MIDI message when you press a key, and then a different message when you release it. I could see it happening in the MIDI Monitor app. Once I took that into account I was able to get it to work.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
cgs

Re: Controlling DP transport from Arturia MIDI controller?

Post by cgs »

Thanks bayswater - that information + reviewing Chapter 8/Commands + James' Axiom/DP tutorial got me up and running! Thanks again.
Mac Pro1.1 8-Core 2.66 GHz, 8 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, DP 8.06, Arturia Laboratory, Yamaha i88x (long live mLAN), Korg OASYS-PCI (long live OASYS-PCI), lots of old Ensoniq gear (long live Ensoniq)

Wow I really need to update my sig...