Problem with bouncing to QuickTime movie

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
kinnylandrum
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Problem with bouncing to QuickTime movie

Post by kinnylandrum »

I'm having a fairly consistent problem that, it seems to me, has just come up. I was wondering if anyone else has had this in 8.06

The first time after booting up that I try to bounce to a QuickTime movie, the bounce window counts down as usual, goes to where it is supposed to stop, and then just stays there, with the beachball spinning. The only way out of it is to force quit and restart DP.

The funny thing is that, if I try the bounce again after restarting DP, it bounces fine. I notice that this only happens the first time I try to bounce after booting up the computer for the day.

I also notice that, when this happens, if I look in the folder, there are now two files, one with the extension .aac and the other with another extension that I can't quite remember. I notice that when it works properly, those two files are also created, then combined into a .mov file and the previous two files deleted. This is the part of the process that I believe is hanging up.

I didn't notice this before the last week or so on this new project. One other slight change in this movie project is that I am using Vienna Instruments a lot more, mostly because I've finally figured out how to use them effectively. I wonder if some kind of copy protection scheme or something is causing the hangup.

It's not a huge problem, for as long as you save before bouncing and then restart DP, everything works OK. Thanks for any light that anyone can share.
DP 10.11 MacPro 16-core 3.2 GHZ, 48 Gb Ram, 10.15.2, numerous VIs, etc.
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Problem with bouncing to QuickTime movie

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

It sounds like the files you're seeing are temp files. I believe DP renders the audio and then creates a mixed movie file (the progress bar reports the last part of the process if I remember it correctly, as I don't usually sit and watch it).

I would try moving projects to a different drive to test if that helps. It sounds like perhaps DP may be loosing the drive directory or something like that. Only a guess.

Other things I'd try are deleting the DP plist, cleaning the cache, and reinstalling DP.

Bouncing here is smoooorh and reliable.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
kinnylandrum

Re: Problem with bouncing to QuickTime movie

Post by kinnylandrum »

Thanks, Mike. I may try some of that if the problem persists, but I after I finish this project. Meanwhile I'll try bouncing something early in the process just to see what happens. If I get this solved I'l let you know.
DP 10.11 MacPro 16-core 3.2 GHZ, 48 Gb Ram, 10.15.2, numerous VIs, etc.