Multiple firewire interfaces simultaneously

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
jimjacobsen

Multiple firewire interfaces simultaneously

Post by jimjacobsen »

I have an Apollo interface and would like to have more inputs for hardware synths.
Anyone use Apollo concurrent with any other Firewire audio interface? I'd like to
avoid dropping another $2k for 8 more Apollo inputs. Thanks!
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Multiple firewire interfaces simultaneously

Post by stubbsonic »

I might be able to test this for you.

I currently have two FW interfaces, but I only have one Thunderbolt adapter, so I'd have to daisy chain them.

I'm pretty sure I'd be able to select both interfaces in the hardware config window. (I've chosen both built-in and an external interface in the past).

I'll try to get to this later today.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
jimjacobsen

Post by jimjacobsen »

Are the 2 firewire interfaces by different manufacturers, as would be the case in the
Configuration I'm proposing? Eager to hear how it works for you.
Thanks, Jim
magicd

Post by magicd »

Yes DP will see multiple audio drivers from different manufacturers. One key requirement is to make sure the interfaces have a common sample clock. If at all possible use a hardware connection between the interfaces, as opposed to software sync within the computer.

Dave
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Not to hi-jack, but would it work to connect the spdif ports from one interface to the other -- just for sync?

If I had device-A soft-synced to the computer and then connected A's spdif out to B's spdif in and made B slave to spdif, would that work? Or would it be better to have device A be master sync.

(One of my devices doesn't have a word clock bnc connector.)
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
magicd

Post by magicd »

stubbsonic wrote:Not to hi-jack, but would it work to connect the spdif ports from one interface to the other -- just for sync?

If I had device-A soft-synced to the computer and then connected A's spdif out to B's spdif in and made B slave to spdif, would that work? Or would it be better to have device A be master sync.

(One of my devices doesn't have a word clock bnc connector.)

Yes, S/PDIF will work for clock sync. So will optical and AES/EBU. The only time I would be concerned about clocking from the computer is if I had to use the built-in audio connectors of the Mac. Otherwise external clock (from an interface or clock generator) is much more reliable.

Dave
Bennie Sims

Post by Bennie Sims »

jimjacobsen wrote:I have an Apollo interface and would like to have more inputs for hardware synths.
Anyone use Apollo concurrent with any other Firewire audio interface? I'd like to
avoid dropping another $2k for 8 more Apollo inputs. Thanks!
I just accomplished this the past week with the Apollo and my 896 Mk3 along with my Rosetta 800. Connect the 2 interfaces with BNR cable out from the Apollo to the other interface and setting the Apollo to Internal and the other interface to word clock. Then connect your ADAT cables between the devices. When you open Dp go into hardware setup and make both interfaces an aggregate device by picking one and command-click the other then make the Apollo your clock source. It is working great for me the different being that my Rosetta 800 is the Master Clock.
Mac Pro Six Core Trashcan OX.10.13.3,Macbook Pro 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5 OSX 10.11,DP 8.07 and 9.52,Protools 2018.4 and 10.3.9,Logic 10.4.1.,Reason 8,Waves V9.7. Diamond Bundle, Mach Five 3.2.1, Vir 2, Kontakt 5.3, Melodyne Studio 3.2.2.2, Melodyne Single Track, Motu 2804 MK3, Apollo 8 Quad,Apollo 8 Duo,UAD 2 FireWire Quad Satellite, UAD Thunderbolt Quad Satellite, Rosetta 800, Avalon Vt 747sp, Focusrite 4x Red One, UAD 4-710d, Raven MTi 2 3.3.1, Motu MIDI Express XT.