Has DP Control been abandoned?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Killahurts
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Killahurts »

I'm just wondering.. it's been so long since it was released, with no updates ever. I can't use it because many of my templates have more than 100 tracks, which it reminds me of over and over again, until it crashes.

My needs are mostly to have it work as a remote control, so I can record myself from the live room. I've got a couple others on the iPad, like V-Control Pro, but those use MCU, and it can be problematic for my console, which also uses MCU. The "Open Sound Control" protocol doesn't interfere, so DP Control would be perfect for my setup, if it worked.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Has DP Control been abandoned?

Post by James Steele »

I'm not sure off the top of my head, but I remember the guy who wrote the updated DP control surface bundle for the AlphaTrack was going to do the same update for the Frontier TranzPort. Maybe you could pick up one of those on eBay cheap and use that?

I found the link. Here it is:

http://www.synclavier.com/TranzPortPlugin.html

That might be a really good way to go. I bet they could be a bargain on eBay as I said.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I just checked. TranzPorts can be had for anywhere between $75-100 on eBay easily. I did see one for $65 just now but it does not include the dongle receiver that plugs into your Mac, so be careful.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

I already have a tranzport! And the little receiver dongle.. wow, thanks James- I thought that little guy was dead in the water a long time ago! 30 bucks makes it new again!
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
billf

Post by billf »

FWIW, on this thread from last year, someone said they spoke with MOTU and they told him they still had plans to update DP Control.

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 26&t=55600
Re: DP Control and ios7
Post by dave pine » Sat 21 Sep 2013 5:52 am

I talked to tech support also, they said they're going to be updating DP control
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Killahurts wrote:I already have a tranzport! And the little receiver dongle.. wow, thanks James- I thought that little guy was dead in the water a long time ago! 30 bucks makes it new again!
Well that was easy! :)

waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by waterstrum »

Count me in as a happy guy.
I couldn't figure out why my Tranzport wasn't working in DP8.
I had given up the ghost, but sure missed that little sucker.
Thanks James!
All is well
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

waterstrum wrote:Count me in as a happy guy.
I couldn't figure out why my Tranzport wasn't working in DP8.
I had given up the ghost, but sure missed that little sucker.
Thanks James!
Thank the guy that updated DP's control surface bundle for AlphaTrack and TranzPort. Actually, the AlphaTrack (and I'm pretty sure the TranzPort) will work if you run DP in 32-bit mode, but when DP is in 64-bit mode the old control surface bundle will not work. So the updated bundle allows these devices to work in DP 64. That's a good thing, too. I just can't bring myself to launch DP 8.06 in 32-bit anymore after enjoying it in 64 bit. :)

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

James Steele wrote:Thank the guy that updated DP's control surface bundle for AlphaTrack and TranzPort.
Did he happen to mention whether he will (try to) keep either working with any future updates of OS X or DP?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Don't think he did. Really what would concern me more is that the driver itself released by Frontier which has not been undated in years might cease to function. It's a much more daunting task than updating the control surface bundle that is specific to DP, which will probably be fine for quite some time unless MOTU makes a major change.

Here's hoping the AlphaTrack and Transport driver software continues to work (and the installer continues to install) when Yosemite is released. :)

Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

James Steele wrote:Here's hoping the AlphaTrack and Transport driver software continues to work (and the installer continues to install) when Yosemite is released. :)
Hear, hear! Yosemite is poised to screw up a lot of stuff.. hope that's not the case!