Updating old DP session to DP8

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
blindows
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Updating old DP session to DP8

Post by blindows »

I have an old mac DP session, not sure what version (circa 2007/2008), and only a PC to open it. It won't open, and from what others here have said, it sounds like the solution is to open it in DP8 on Mac, and save it out again, which should make the DP8 PC able to read it. Would anyone here be willing to do that? I promise this would be the only time I'd need this favor, since I don't have any other such DP sessions. I'm happy to pay the appropriate fee for this service.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Updating old DP session to DP8

Post by mikehalloran »

The file came from a Mac originally. If you have access to the original computer, zip (archive on the Mac) the file and then import it to your PC.

3rd party plugins won't work of course.

Never transfer a DP file from one computer to another without zipping first. The exceptions are transfers via email, Migration Assistant and Time Machine (Mac only). Failure to do so may prevent certain header info from being saved and does not allow your system to grant the required permissions and access.

If it's not too big, I can take a look. If too big for email, upload to Drop Box. Again, zip it first.

Btw, the above advice applies to many file types. If I drop a Word file onto my wife's iMac without zipping, it becomes a Read Only file on her machine. If I zip or email, she has whatever privileges that I allow.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
magicd

Post by magicd »

You must add the file suffix .dpdoc in order for DP under Windows to recognize the file.

If it's from an old version of DP, it uses SD2 format audio files. Therefore you need to add .SD2 to the end of every audio file in order for them to be recognized. Yes, it would be a better thing to open the file on Mac and convert to WAV before moving to Windows.

Dave
blindows
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by blindows »

added the .dpdoc extension to the session, but would failing to add the .sd2 file extensions prevent the session from opening, or would it open and just not find the audio files? The latter is what I would expect.

Right now it just says "Digital Performer has encountered an error" and it won't even open the session.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I got it to open in 7.24 and 8.06. The voice-over sounds in DP 7.24 only but I am running DP 8 64bit. Your audio files play back in QuickTime Pro. Try adding the .sd2 extension and see what happens.

Many things will not load on my system including MachFive v.1 instruments (I have v.3) and any plugin or VI that was used that I don't have. Click OK to load what will. It's possible that many libraries that this wants to access are Mac only - in any case, you will need to have Windows versions that can read the Mac files for 3rd party plugs and VIs to work at all.

You will likely have to open this in 32bit to salvage and re-link what you can, then open in 64bit and see what still works.

What's your time worth? If you have a lot of these files, I'd look at maintaining an old G4 running DP 5.13 or 7.12 for the ancient Mac stuff. Better still is an old Mac Pro running 10.6.8 with Rosetta and DP 7.24 installed.

You can use iTunes to convert audio files to wav or broadcast wav - these have pretty much become the standards for audio files. Look under the Advanced menu. I didn't have to type in the .sd2 extension first but I am on a Mac. I'd download the Windows version - you may get lucky in this regard.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro