DP direct monitoring feeding attached hardware reverbs?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP direct monitoring feeding attached hardware reverbs?

Post by James Steele »

I've experience weird issues before with my PCI-424e systems somewhere with recent OS updates. Latest one tonight is that when I have one input record enabled in DP and I bring the fader up, the audio is also going to a hardware reverb unit connected to my interface and used only during tracking via CueMix to sweeten the headphone mix. I have to use a different monitoring mode, but I don't remember hearing anything but the DRY sound of the input blending with DP's output. The input to a track on DP never fed my attached reverb. The only way to do that was to use CueMix.

I can work around this and complete turn off monitoring DP's input and monitor only via CueMix, but if you've strapped a limiter/compressor on the Master Fader, you have to pull down the overall volume since you can't get enough monitoring volume on the vocal to compete.

Anyway... I'm losing some confidence in my setup here. For example, I changed the name of a input in PCI Setup and it was reflected briefly, then reverted to an old name. I'm thinking maybe I have multiple copies of PCI Audio Setup on my Mac. I'm seriously thinking now about writing down on paper all my input and output assignments and wiping all traces of the MOTU Audio System and prefs and reinstalling it from scratch and re-enabling and re-naming all inputs and outputs.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP direct monitoring feeding attached hardware reverbs?

Post by bayswater »

On the matter of your setup and the I/O assignments, I've had the same experience with both the PCI and FW setups. I've actually done what you're thinking of -- removing everything and starting afresh, but the problem just resurfaced immediately. My approach is to make sure I have the correct setup saved in Cuemix configs, and just reload that. Seems to get me back to where I want to be.

I'm sure I'm doing something to "break" the configuration, in software, my startup sequence, etc., but I can't figure out what it is. I've looked for something that tells you how AudioMIDI, Cuemix, MOTU Drivers, DAWs and other pieces interact to define and change the setup, and what takes priority, but never found anything.

Some of it might just be bugs in MOTU Audio Setup. We know that for a while, it was reverting to Outputs 1-2 instead of Main Outs as the default output, and the FW version still keeps replicating MIDI instances. Maybe there are other bugs.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8