DP 5 will not save to external hd

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
hom
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by hom »

Hello,
Small problem I have never come across with DP 5 or ny DPfor that matter.
I installed my copy of DP 5 on old but new computer to me (Macbook pro 10.6.8)
Anyway everything works accept when I try to save .This would be a new file.
The window comes up and I can navigate to the external HD I want to save to .
s soon as I click on the correct external partition it goes back to Documents which it is defaulted . I have tried to save elsewhere on my computer and another HD but it still defaults to Documents . I have open a seq from the external and , click the mute or something and tried to save but still back to documents . Plenty of room on the ex hd and have used for a year so would love to have some help if possible .
Thanks in advance .
I run out of Macbook pro into Ultralite into HD (firewire)
hom
magicd

Re: DP 5 will not save to external hd

Post by magicd »

DP5 is not supported under OS 10.6 or later. I recommend upgrading to DP8.

Dave
hom

Post by hom »

Thanks Dave ,
I understand that however I have done the exact same thing on another macbook pro a few months ago and everything works fine plus I am a chicken.
I will at some point upgrade but too many apps at this point to change .
I do three to four commercials a week so am working solid , the move from leopard was as much as I could deal with right now . It also works solid on the new computer as I have tested quite heavily with existing music and just saving the seq to documents . It sees the external and all its partitions yet when I tell to save to the music partitions it reverts right back to Documents.
So yea anyway it's baffling to me right now .
Thank you again Dave
h o m
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Magic D offers Word. DP8 is great. Do the upgrade and run 32 bit mode if you are worried about plug in capability. If using VI's you will love 64 bit mode.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

If Dave says DP 5 is not supported on Snow Leopard, even if you get it working, you shouldn't assume it's going to keep working.

For now, are you sure you have write permission on the external drive? E.g. using some types of Windows disk format, you can read from it, but not write to it. What does the Get Info box tell you about the partition you are trying to save to? Can you save to the internal drive? If so, that would tell you there is something about the external drive the Mac OS doesn't like.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

For now, are you sure you have write permission on the external drive?
Interestingly, you can often copy files to an external but to save your work, you need to have both ownership and permissions.

You set these up in Get Info. Click on the padlock and enter your Admin password. Add your user account and give yourself Read and Write privileges. Click Apply to files and folders.

DP 5.13 - 7.23 work and authorize on OS 10.6 (some older 5 and 6 install disks require Rosetta). They work but will not authorize on 10.7 and above - you have to authorize on 10.6 then upgrade your OS. If you ever have to restore from backup, you'd have to go back to 10.6 with Rosetta... among the many reasons it's not supported.

DP 7.24 is the only version where disk authorization works on 10.7 and later. DP 8 uses a different license manager and is really what you should be using nowadays.

Just because you can make it work doesn't mean you should. MagicD is right. Although your question is not really a DP issue, DP 8 is the version being supported.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
hom

Post by hom »

I like to thank all those with responses for helping out .
I to believe there is a permission , ownership thing going on .
On my external I have three partitions , music,visual,and documents.
On all three the ownership (looking at disk utility)is not enabled .
In the get info window the three names at bottom including my account name has read write privileges .
When I migrated to this particular computer many of my folders were locked.
There may have been an easier way to fix but I manually change each folders ownership.
By going to the add account and then making that (me) owner after that I was free to move as usual .
When I go to the box add account in get info of lets say "music" on the external the box does not have my account there . Yet on the get info first page my name is there and the "make owner" is not highlighted . But still I have read/write listed as my property .
Anyway I noticed , as I said in an earlier mail, I had opened a seq from the external "music" to test whether it could be saved and it could .
After all the responses I went back open DP and noticed that the folder that I opened the test seq from called "other songs" was listed as a place to save. So I did a track of audio and went to save and it allowed me to save my project into the "other music" folder . The same one I had opened the night before (there are many old songs in that folder ).
So at least I can get to the external that way . I wonder if I have to open all subfolders or at least create new folders and then just place there ?
At least it would be more organized ha.
SO again my thanks to all who lent a hand .
And I do have DP8,it's just hard to make the jump. I said the same thing when going from 3 to 5 scare to learn something new, yet the learning curb was easy , other than a few things in different places . So I am assuming not presuming that I will have to learn a whole new DAW again which makes me roll my eyes .
I may set 8 up on another computer and write a couple songs to get familiar with 8 .This comes from some of you nudging me which I obviously need .
Thanks
h o m
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

hom wrote:I wonder if I have to open all subfolders or at least create new folders and then just place there ?
When you change permissions in the Get Info box, there is an option to apply the change to all enclosed items.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
kats_corner

Post by kats_corner »

Recognizing the trepidation of having to "learn a whole new DAW", I would like to submit that Digital Performer does *not* generally make huge leaps from one version to the next - it usually adds competitive functionality, and some user interface updates. But when a user upgrades in large jumps such as from version 3 all the way to version 5, or from 5 all the way to 8, the number of minor changes between adjacent major revisions is greatly compounded, which then *looks* like a whole new DAW.

I can understand waiting for a couple of minor updates after major revision releases, but once the community generally accepts the state of a major revision as more or less stable, it's generally a good time to move to it.

just my 2¢....

Sent from my HTC One V using Forum Fiend v1.2.8.
Ken: Owner/Engineer, KaT's Corner Recording
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

kats_corner wrote:Digital Performer does *not* generally make huge leaps from one version to the next - it usually adds competitive functionality, and some user interface updates. But when a user upgrades in large jumps such as from version 3 all the way to version 5, or from 5 all the way to 8, the number of minor changes between adjacent major revisions is greatly compounded, which then *looks* like a whole new DAW.

I can understand waiting for a couple of minor updates after major revision releases, but once the community generally accepts the state of a major revision as more or less stable, it's generally a good time to move to it.

just my 2¢....

Sent from my HTC One V using Forum Fiend v1.2.8.
If you look at the larger picture, that claim is patently false. DP 5.2 was a gigantic leap forward as a free update and DP 7 was also a giant step forward as were the updates leading to what was probably the most stable of all releases to date. We could go back further to the jumps from 2.7 to 3 and even to DP4.

The big transition in terms of DP feeling like a new app was the jump to DP 6 (a giant leap backwards in the opinion of many) and then again to DP 7 to correct what people hated about DP 6. DP 8 feels like a new app for me in that I use it full screen with the consolidated windows - which I hated until it could go full screen. I've learned to accept that I can't decide which tabs to have available in the CW, but it's not as big a deal for me any longer.

As for the o/p's initial complaint it's been asked and answered (as lawyers like to say) and from the most authoritative source you can get (MagicD).

I'll add that for all the "problems" reported I'm more pro DP and MOTU than ever before (sure, call me a fanboy, I don't mind - I AM!). I wish I could say that about other apps, such as Finale, which has taken a few giant steps backward in their last few releases. But that's another story for another rant. ☺

Long live the unicorn! :unicorn:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

When I migrated to this particular computer many of my folders were locked.
The problem there is that you didn't migrate, you copied. Had you used Migration Assistant, this would not have happened.

If, when you copied, you had zipped your files first then copied them over to folders on partitions to which your admin account had full access and permissions, this would not have been an issue,

Been there, made those mistakes, figured it out, what a pain...
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
kats_corner

Post by kats_corner »

I have personally gone through updates with Digital Performer from 4 all the way to 8 one step at a time. My statement above comes from that experience. Also note that I said they do not *generally* make large leaps. That does not in any way imply that they *never* make large leaps. Yes, from 5 to 6 was a large jump, but mostly from the UI point of view (and I was as displeased with that change as were many others). And yes, they've redone the application menus a couple of times since version 5, which *was* slightly aggravating for a short time, but those do not qualify in my book as learning a whole new DAW.

The point being discussed was whether or not those changes from level to level count as a whole new DAW. Going from Digital Performer to Pro Tools, to Live, to FL Studio, to Logic, to Reaper.... THOSE involve conceptual workflow changes, which qualifies as a whole new DAW. While Digital Performer has added significant improvements and additions in capabilities, and have from time to time made marked alterations in the UI, the overall concept of how a project progresses and how workflow is accomplished has not altered greatly from version to version.

With that understanding of "large leaps", what I said was in fact true.
Ken: Owner/Engineer, KaT's Corner Recording
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Thanks for the clarification. I was considering primarily features and GUI, but I agree that the workflow doesn't change all that much for users familiar with previous versions. That's a good thing, IMO.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS