Switching Chunks and only Mixing Board switches

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
wonder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Switching Chunks and only Mixing Board switches

Post by wonder »

I am working with a project that has 18 song clips I recorded in DP that I'm mixing to press to video.

When I'm switching chunks to move to a new song, the Mixing board will move to the new song and also sometimes whatever window is open (Tracks Overview or Sequence window). When I press play, it'll play back the new chunk but the cursor won't move as it thinks it's still in the old chunk.

I have to open the new chunk in the Tracks Overview window, then go into the Sequence window, select another chunk and then go BACK and select again the chunk I want to work with ... only then will the whole session switch over to the new chunk.

Anyone else have this issue? Know any workarounds?
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
leigh

Re: Switching Chunks and only Mixing Board switches

Post by leigh »

Yes, this sometimes happens for me but I can't reliably reproduce it so I haven't been able to report it to MOTU.

**Leigh
I don't care what you play. I care how you play.— Karl Berger

iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon W, 128GB RAM, Mac OS X 14.2, DP 11.3
VSL, VE Pro 7, MIR Pro 3D, UVI Falcon, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Ozone 9 Advanced, RX 8 Advanced, Dorico 5, Metric Halo ULN-8-3D mkiv, ULN-2-3D & 2882-3D interfaces, Novation Impulse-49, various mics
wonder

Post by wonder »

I remember this being an issue ever since I started using CHUNKS in DP (6)?

Anyone have a suggestion on what to do to resolve?
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
frankf

Post by frankf »

leigh wrote:Yes, this sometimes happens for me but I can't reliably reproduce it so I haven't been able to report it to MOTU.

**Leigh
Same irregular behavior here. I use Window Sets so I just hit the key for the WS I'm currently using or switch to another WS then back which sets me straight. I use Consolidated Windows with mixer and quick scribe windows popped out on second screen.
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
wonder

Post by wonder »

I always use a popped out Mixer window.

Even when I switch chunks, and the open Tracks Window switches to the new chunk, when i switch to the SEQUENCE window, It'll still be in the old chunk. Switching back and forth to subsequent windows doesn't switch to the new chunk. I have to manually go back to the old chunk then back to the new chunk.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I had that problem in version 6.x. I dealt with it the best I could, and for some reason in time it stopped doing that. I haven't seen that behavior now in several years.

There are some mysterious things about DP that I have never understood, and they involve how it can have widely divergent behaviors on different setups. For example, branching undo does not work for me. It keeps a linear record of undos, but no branches, no matter what I do. (trust me, it's not user error) Everyone I talk to says theirs is branching just fine. Apparently I'm the only one. Why? I have no idea. And others report specific behaviors that either I've never had, or that I had years ago but no more.

Strange.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
wonder

Post by wonder »

It's not a HUGE deal ... but just a little annoyance.

I'd just like to have a clean and smooth running DP since I've had so many computer issues in the past to make me buy a new (used) Mac Pro ...
PMortise
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by PMortise »

+1. I had enough of it to call MOTU tech support, but (lucky me) I got the guy with the amazingly unhelpful attitude who likes to waste the first five minutes of the phone call arguing that the problem doesn't exist. So, I deal with it by taking a quick detour through a different screen set. It pays to go through the list of Commands and get some nice shortcuts going.
DP 10.11 / 3.33GHz 12-Core, 10.15.7, 128GB / 3.33GHz 12-Core, 10.15.7, 128GB /
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge, but imagination." ~ Einstein
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

I can almost universally make that happen in DP7 by switching chunks and immediately changing windows.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I know this will be a dumb question, but you're using the Consolidated Window? I know that the Tracks Overview won't switch to the new chunk unless it's in the CW.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

This hadn't happened in my few weeks with 8.06, now 8.07 was doing this constantly last night. I could close and reopen DP and get control back. Once it started, there was no stopping it any time I changed sequences.
Doug Williams
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
frankf

Post by frankf »

There's a preference for this, something like edit windows follow Play Enabled Chunk. (I'm not in front of DP at the moment) do you have that checked?
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

I may be talking about a different problem, or simply related. The only thing I do that confuses the windows is when changing the sequence. I'm not switching anything from the chunks window.
Doug Williams
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

EMRR wrote:I may be talking about a different problem, or simply related. The only thing I do that confuses the windows is when changing the sequence. I'm not switching anything from the chunks window.
Sequences = Chunks

It's apples and apples.

Of course, Chunks can be other things like Songs or V-Racks, but when you talk about switching Sequences, you're talking about switching a Chunk.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

Yes, but is the behavior identical for all paths? That's what I'm considering. I only use the one path, and I don't chain chunks together.
Doug Williams
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8