more help please.

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
brolly
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

more help please.

Post by brolly »

First off i only ever seem to come here with problems so i just wanted to say what a great resource this is & thanks in advance to anyone who replies.
Ok, i'm preparing to work on a series & my engineer mixes remotely so he gets a DP file full of audio files. No plugins. I've added an additional Kontakt & instance of play & my aim is to pre-route them.
I can load a bank of for example african percussion into them & once the cue is signed off press record & DP will record all the MIDI tracks as separate tracks in one go rather than doing it one track at a time.
Except it doesn't....
Have a look at my screen grabs for play. DP1 shows a test with six identical instruments loaded into play routed out of Play outputs.But DP2 shows that the inputs are staggered in DP. The first one is 'PLAY-1 4-5'. No sign of play 1-2, play 3-4 etc. & play 1 4-5' only plays one channel.
Kontakt goes to a whole new place where the output meters on Kontakt itself are greyed out. This could save me hours of time if i can crack it. Hope all out there can help.
Here are the screen grabs;
http://www.brollybucket.com/DP/
brolly/
brolly

Re: more help please.

Post by brolly »

ok guys, as usual i post then keep testing. i've found that by going into bundles i can drag the play outputs to the right ones. Is this the correct way to solve this?
Hopefully it is.
Onto the greyed out faders in Kontakt now.
brolly
dpg4macman

Post by dpg4macman »

Your right - Bundles is where you would want to set the outputs up. I do this often with SampleTank and MarcFive
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

brolly wrote:ok guys, as usual i post then keep testing. i've found that by going into bundles i can drag the play outputs to the right ones. Is this the correct way to solve this?
Hopefully it is.
Onto the greyed out faders in Kontakt now.
brolly
By the way, in Bundles there is no need to drag. Option-Click a pair of boxes to establish a pair of connections anywhere.

It has been years since I have used Kontakt seriously enough to set up multiple outputs. Not that I don't need multiple outputs, but that I quit using Kontakt years ago (though I've kept it more-or-less up-to-date). That said, my memories are hazy on how all that worked. There was a mismatch between Kontakt's output channel numbers/names and those in DP's bundles. To get them matched up in a way that made sense required trial & error testing, then renaming of Kontakt's outputs where possible, and renaming Bundles where necessary. Apparently several big interfaces like Kontakt, Play, and even Waves manage to screw up the numbering/naming scheme within DP's Bundles. I don't know why that can't be more consistent, but I never spent much time thinking about it. I just tested, renamed, and kept on going.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
frankf

Post by frankf »

I've no problem with Kontakt 4/5 multi outs and setting up Bundles in DP. The numbering issue was straightened out a while ago, pre DP8. Not sure if it was an Apple, MOTU or NI issue. With any VI, outputs 1-2 are not published to the Instruments Tab in Bundles but are patched directly in the instrument track. I patch the outs of the instrument tracks (1-2) to named buses ala KT1-2, RMX1-2 (stylus RMX that is), etc. so in Bundles>Buses TAB, I have Outs 1-2 for every Instrument track in a project.

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

frankf wrote:The numbering issue was straightened out a while ago, pre DP8.
Ah, that's good to know. Now if I can just remember it next time this comes up! Maybe I need to work in Kontakt again for a while. I do have the full version, up-to-date, but I just haven't used it. My needs focused elsewhere, and NI was always late with updates, often making us search endlessly for a link even when we knew the fix was there somewhere, not to mention that Kontakt used to crash a lot, so I just stopped using it. I kept it up to date specifically for the Stradivarius violin and Gofriller cello that Garritan was allowed to sell briefly, and which still works.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|