Long Standing DP Automation Bug-“All Except"

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
toodamnhip
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Long Standing DP Automation Bug-“All Except"

Post by toodamnhip »

DP has the very cool option to enable “ALL EXCEPT” (various automation Types)...in any individual track.

This allows one to select which parameters read automation and which don’t. A very cool feature and, from what I know, DP is the only DAW that has such a feature, or at least, has such a feature available so conveniently.
OK, that was the GOOD.
Now the bad...
Ever since I can remember, and I mean from all versions of DP since DP has had audio in it, and through many many computer configurations, DP will will randomly ADD every possible parameter to the “ALL EXCEPT” list.
This is definitely a long standing bug and I’d love some verification from others.

For example, I will set “ALL EXCEPT” most commonly to “Audio track mute”. That is the ONLY thing I don’t want to automate. The “All except" list has ONE line in it-“Audio track mute-internal".
This allows me to mute and un mute a lead vocal for example when mixing, (for when I want to hear just the track), while keeping all other automation intact.
I might mix for a day or so, and when I come back to the lead vocal track, every possible automation parameter for the plug ins in the lead vocal track has been added to the “ALL EXCEPT” list. The list is full. It can even have parameters added to the list for plug ins that are NOT in the track.
I will then go to other tracks and randomly, various other tracks might or might not have their “All EXCEPT” lists added to also.
I then have to go in and manually remove all the parameters from the “ALL except: lists so that only “audio track mute” is in the various lists.

This makes using this feature risky as one never knows when one is losing automation and can cause one to really screw up a mix trying to fix things, only to find out, various automation parameters randomly became exempted.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
Shooshie

Re: Long Standing DP Automation Bug-“All Except"

Post by Shooshie »

That used to happen to me long ago, and I mean really long go, but it hasn't happened in years. I wonder why? Maybe if I used it more often.

Like you, I usually put mutes in there, as they are unbelievably annoying to try to fix if you work on a mix while automation is turned on. But I haven't seen that happen since before version 6. Actually, it was probably version 3 or 4 where I last saw that.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
toodamnhip

Re: Long Standing DP Automation Bug-“All Except"

Post by toodamnhip »

Shooshie wrote:That used to happen to me long ago, and I mean really long go, but it hasn't happened in years. I wonder why? Maybe if I used it more often.

Like you, I usually put mutes in there, as they are unbelievably annoying to try to fix if you work on a mix while automation is turned on. But I haven't seen that happen since before version 6. Actually, it was probably version 3 or 4 where I last saw that.

Shooshie
Yeah, it is hard tp in down what causes it. I have thought or HOPED the problem was solved in various iterations, only for it to come back again.
It is disconcerting as once it happens, I lose faith in the whole automation of the mix and need to tediously check every track for the problem thereafter.
Makes me NOT want to use the feature which is sad , it;s a really nice feature.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc